Interesting Statistics
supporter
Posted by Karen L. Morris (+1848) 2 months ago
I heard from our friend in Singapore (SG) this morning. An excerpt:
"Thanks for asking but things are not going very well in SG. Covid Delta is wreaking havoc here, its transmission rate is startling. We now have more than 500 community infections a day and lots of clusters too. We have had 18 deaths in Aug alone (we held a record of just 29 deaths for the past 19 months) involving unvaccinated seniors aged 60-90, added two more in Sept. I have been busy doing my rounds in the community visiting pioneer folks to persuade them to take the jab, but many are as stubborn as a mule. We still have about 100k of them still to be vaccinated."

In contrast:
Montana's total for yesterday (reported today): 1,249 new (8,332 active)
Custer County: 42 new, 104 active
New deaths for the state: 5 new (1,847 total)

Population of Singapore: 5,905,527
Population of Montana: 1,068,778

Our hospital report (sadly only updated once a week now) looks a bit glum, as well.

Sad. I do believe we may have a higher percentage of "mules" than Singapore.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+9
supporter
Posted by Hanson (+2166) 2 months ago
Reply to Karen L. Morris (#382780)
The statistics are interesting, however relative to the virus and how we coping with it, they are more disgusting than interesting. The statistics serve notice to the ignorant, egocentric and selfish nature of a significant portion of our population. Those who are refusing to be vaccinated and against wearing masks are actually causing the deaths of others. They are too stupid to even understand what a-holes they are. A case in point was the man in Alabama, in his fifties, who experienced a cardiac emergency. It took more than four hours and contacting more than thirty hospitals before they could find one that could admit him. The problem was all the state’s hospitals were overflowing with unvaccinated Covid patients. He died on arrival at a hospital in Mississippi.

Montana is approaching the same level of need. The national guard has now been called upon to assist in Billings and Missoula’s hospitals. The Billings Clinic ICU is running at 150% capacity. The Clinic believes that soon it will be forced to implement a crisis standard of care. According to the DPHHS, this standard stresses an ethically grounded system to aid in decision-making when allocating scarce resources. Does anyone recall when the Democrats managed to pass the Affordable Care Act? The sniveling Republicans claimed ‘Obama’ Care would force death panels on us to decide who lives and who dies in the allocation of care. Well, now we are actually facing death panels in real-time brought on mostly by Republicans and some others because of their aforesaid refusal to be vaccinated.
+15
supporter
Posted by Karen L. Morris (+1848) 2 months ago
Reply to Hanson (#382785)
I plead guilty. I selected the title using the assumption that "interesting statistics" was more likely to get additional readers. My hope was that "statistics" might help people realize what is possible (SG's numbers) if we address the issues.

I believe Bozeman is also looking at crisis care standards.

Sad.
+6
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1607) 2 months ago
One of the most frustrating things is realizing that both sides believe they are the smart ones.

In a fair fight, the ignorant know they are and might defer to a medically trained health care provider or a highly educated scientist, but in our world if you make pillows, you must know what's going on.

Sad.
FH
+12
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 2 months ago
There was a line at Albertson's yesterday for COVID shots. So yay that. Steve was going to get his flu shot but waited. I know there was a death from COVID in Miles City today and Billings Clinic is considering going to triage status. Dying to prove how dumb you are seems dumb.
+6
supporter
Posted by Hanson (+2166) 2 months ago
Joe Maga heard the anti-vaxxers say
Dewormer, not the vaccine, kills those germs.
Joe Maga died of Covid. Joe is gone.
His body, though, remains quite free of worms.

Calvin Trillin, The Nation.
+3