Custer County
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17125) 16 days ago
In this day of the Woke, where many Confederate statues are being tumbled and named features by early settlers are being frequently renamed*, I am asking to the collective here:

Custer County?

By all accounts General George Armstrong Custer's impulsive actions led to his early demise, as well as the +/- 2,000 soldiers who were killed with him. And, he was attacking Native Americans.

Even Hank Jr. has not put Custer on a pedestal. So does anyone foresee a renaming of the county in the future?**

* As a youth, i used to camp with our family at "Squaw Creek" in the Gallatin canyon. It now has a different name which I no longer remember. Similarly, as a youth, I used to hunt elk at a mountain that they used to refer as "Niggerhead" because of the dark pine trees at the top of this hill. It actually was noted by this name for years on the USGS top maps.

**To the slow-witted, I totally realize that MC is as far from woke as can possibly be. But I thought this would make for interesting discussion. In my view, Custer was an idiot.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+1
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11665) 16 days ago
There are lots of Custer counties. But none of that is likely to change. Too many signs and piles of envelopes are already around.
+1
founder
Posted by Jordan Cornelius (+28) 16 days ago
A better interpretation on Custer is A Terrible Glory by Donovan. As with most history, the survivors are tasked with creating a narrative to satisfy their own interests.
+1
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16853) 16 days ago
+4
Posted by Dick Ellingson (+978) 15 days ago
Change it to Custard County. Everybody loves custard!

+4
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11665) 15 days ago
The state tourist board had "Custer Country" as one of the seven regions they promoted. After years of confusion, they changed it to "Southeast Montana."
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17125) 14 days ago
Coincidentally, last night TNT ran the 1941 movie "They Died With Their Boots On", starring Errol Flynn and Olivia De Havilland. A totally fictional recounting of Custer's life. I have never seen such dreck before. As Public Enemy would say, "Burn Hollywood Burn".
+2
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine (+14936) 14 days ago
Simple fix... reassume Terry and rename to prairie.
+1