What's Cookin' - Toy Safety
supporter
Posted by Karen L. Morris (+1772) 2 months ago
One of the latest "treasures" in the attic has stimulated an interesting conversation with my friend in Brazil: the "Little Lady" oven. The stove and oven both heat up and that does give rise to the question of children being burned. Since it is about a foot high, it was presumably designed for smaller children. Among our other toys, were the child's iron that really worked (heated to the cotton setting roughly), the Mattel Thing-Maker series (also had a very hot oven to bake the plasti-goop), and the well known Jarts yard game (now illegal).

Toys in Brazil were of the "tamer" sort like balls, marbles, hula-hoops, tops, kites, and dolls (yes, we had those, too). They did not have any of the "working" and possibly hazardous variety.

My overall understanding is that many of our hazardous toys (including those with lead paint) were discontinued due to some combination of litigation and government regulation. One presumes most people feel child safety is important. I do recall a few burns along the way, but we survived; however, my Mom had a tendency to "watch us like a hawk". I thought it would be interesting to hear what others think (yes, I'm a brave soul asking questions about government regulation).

Yes, I do plan to sell the oven and have already sold all the Thing-Maker sets; however; I will list as not intended as a toy, but as a collectible item due to child safety.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+5
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17224) 2 months ago
Personally, I am a huge fan of the toys that came from Mainway Industries.

+1
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine (+14943) 2 months ago
The easy-bake oven. It's a great place to hide your sisters dolls. 🤠🤐
+3
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1806) 2 months ago
Just curious, how many Thing Makers did you have? I remember the Creeple People that attached to the top of your pencil and the bug one. The smell of the plastic cooking never really leaves your memory . Especially if you left the room for a second...and forgot they were cooking .
+2
supporter
Posted by Karen L. Morris (+1772) 2 months ago
Reply to K.Duffy (#382708)
I had the Creeple Peeple (my first one--it was the full set with the oven). I also had the Mini Dragons set and the Fun Flowers set (neither of these had the oven). In addition to those, I had a mold for a skeleton (with fluorescent goop) and a set to make squirtles (a bug that squirted water). To this day, I remember the smell of the goop cooking!
+1