Who is in Charge?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11790) 14 years ago
I recently learned, in another thread, that a gay person must remain in the closet, lying to their family and friends and suffer to be always alone if the gay person's sibling might be offended by said gayness. Which means one sibling was supposed to be miserable in order to protect another sibling"s happiness. As a sibling, I have a number of questions about this directive.

1) How is the order of importance among siblings' happiness determined? Which sibling gets to be Sibling in Charge (hereafter abbreviated SIC) and which are designated as A Secondary Sibling. (i.e. ASS)? Is the selection of SIC and ASS based on birth order? Gender? Is a vote held? When is such a vote held? If the SIC is not selected by vote, what is the process? Does a Parental Unit (PU) select which sibling is the SIC and which will be the ASSes? If Parental Units remarry at any time during the life of their children and acquire additonal children, will a reassignment of SIC and ASS take place or is it assumed that the SIC holds that position permanently?

2) How far does the power of the SIC extend over the ASSes? If the SIC is homophobic, then all ASSes must pretend to be straight is a given but what about other conflicts? If the SIC belongs to a specific church, say, can the SIC require that ASSes only marry members of the same religion? Does the SIC also have to approve, in addition to gender, skin color? Ethnic background? Time when Christmas presents are opened? (This can be a major conflict between Christmas morning openers and those heretics who open on Christmas Eve.)

3) Do PUs have any say over the selection of a Spousal Unit (SU) of ASS? If the PUs are happy as long as the ASS is happy and doesn't mind that the ASS has married a member of the same sex or the wrong religion, does the happiness of the SIC still take precedence?

4) Does the power of the SIC extend to non-marital concerns? Can the SIC select educational majors? Job preferences? Location of adult life? Color of paint on the exterior of the ASS's house? If the SIC prefers mid-century modern and an ASS prefers Arts and Crafts, must the ASS live in a ranch style home built in 1962?

5) What about Only Children (OC)? Do they defer to the happiness of other relatives who take the place of the SIC? Does a First Cousin in Charge (FCIC) determine the happiness quotient? If there are no FCs, does the position default to a more distant relation, say, a Second Cousin Once Removed in Charge (SCORiC)? Or can an OC marry anyone or anything they darn well please?

I am concerned because even though my siblings seem to approve of my husband, I am not sure which one of us is the SIC and therefore had the final determination over my selection of a SU. I need to be sure that the happiness of the SIC supersedes the happiness of the remaining ASSes.

Posted by Breanna (+32) 14 years ago
haha! i love it!
supporter
Posted by howdy (+4945) 14 years ago
Brilliant!!!!!!!
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1274) 14 years ago
Well, Amorette, I do not know you personally, but I have to say that Bart is not so pushy as to be a SIC, IMO. Not that I think you are pushy by any means either. But it would appear that if the SIC is telling people what to do they would have to be somewhat pushy.

*** Disclaimer ****
This is not to say that I think that Bart is an ASS either!
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3713) 14 years ago
This is simple. All subsequent children are strictly for the entertainment and service of the original child. They should tailor their lives to whatever will cause the most comfort and happiness to their godly older sibling.

It makes sense to me anyway. I was here first, and anything that they have recieved from my parents was theoretically at my expense, so anything that they have in life should be considered a debt to be repaid to me.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11790) 14 years ago
Ooo, my older brother would agree with you, Levi! I have often been told by him that his life was perfect for the first year and a half and then I came along. . .
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+927) 14 years ago
Cory,

All right! Now that makes two people who like me: you and my mom.

Bart
Posted by Eric Brandt (+846) 14 years ago
That was brilliant! Well done!
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1274) 14 years ago
Bart, you're reading too much into my statement....
Posted by Schmitz - Matt (+403) 14 years ago
Our family has 5 children, and for the last few years have been telling the youngest of us that the only reason the folks had him was for spare parts for the rest of us. I for one love the idea, not being the youngest of course. I am going to need a new ankle someday, and it's nice to know that 2 are available. Of course, we chastize him constantly to keep in shape and take great care of himself. No smoking, moderate drinking, keep the weight in check, that sort of thing. His wife isn't too keen on the plan, but then she is the youngest in her family too, so she obviously has delusional ideas in mind for herself, instead of existing for the good of her older siblings.

Matt (Tongue planted firmly in cheek)
Posted by AJS (+221) 14 years ago
History keeps repeating itself because we weren't listening the first time.

Taxes could be worse - suppose we had to pay on what we think we are worth.