Posted by Ann Tribby (+16) 18 years ago
As one of a handful of community citizens who worked on the idea of a new pool about 8 years ago, now, I think it is time to re-mobilize. Start talking to your city council members as this idea is on their radar screen. They are in the midst of budget preparations for the next fiscal year, so this would be a good time to start talking. Dr. Hammon at MCC is very interested in the construction of a pool next to the Centra. Eight years ago, the cost of an indoor, zero entry level pool (which would accomodate folks in wheelchairs and other similarly handicapped people as well as young children) was about $2 million dollars and that didn't include operations and maintenance. I would like to see a community collaborative effort with good planning and committment to see a pool project through to completion. It will take grants, loans and yes, probably tax dollars. It will cost folks more to access an indoor pool, because of the maintenance and operations costs. But, on the other hand, more people would be able to use the pool than do currently. One last thought, the former pool coalition has some funding still available to put towards and feasibility study or jumpstart the funding.

When my children were younger, they thoroughly enjoyed the Natural Oasis. They took lessons, swam on the swim team and my daughter was a lifeguard for three years. They did not suffer from too many health problems. However, it is time for a better facility that can be utilized by all the citizens of the community.
Posted by State Champ (+13) 18 years ago
You're making far too much sense to be on this website. Haven't you read some of the posts? We have two extreme views on the natural oasis. In one view, it's a pristine mountain lake and in the other, it's a puddle of diarrhea. Now, choose your side, there's a war on, you know.
Posted by tracy pask (+87) 18 years ago
Well I will tell you what side I am on, getting an indoor/outdoor pool. I swam in the Natural Oasis, I hated it. I remember the snails, the slime, the bathrooms were icky, had sand and crap all over in it. It's pretty bad when Glendive/Forsyth both have descent pools. I tell you what, I am sorry, but the people who run the city aren't or haven't done a very good job. Miles City has a lot of potential, when I drive around I see almost every house that has well kept yards and a lot of people around here have been painting and beautifing their houses. I know everyone's taxes will go up, if people would just smarten up and try to push to have a decrease in property taxes and have a sales tax I think Miles City would have the funds to be able to put in a pool. That way, the resident's of Miles City aren't the only one's paying for it, so are the tourist's. That's how almost every state does it, except for Montana because no one cares, or because we elect idiot's for Governer, etc. Just like the school bond that what passed, stupid...., I could see the high school getting a hot lunch program, the high schoolers have the car's, that drive over by the middle school, that sell the cigarettes or drugs to the junior high schoolers. Anyway, I am sorry to say, that's Miles City for ya.
Posted by StoveGirl (+196) 18 years ago
How can anyone say that passing a school lunch program is stupid? That in itself is a stupid statement.
Posted by tracy pask (+87) 18 years ago
It's not stupid when it comes to the middle school, elementary school I can see but junior high, they really don't need one. By the way, thanks for saying my comment was stupid, really appreciate that, especially when this is a site to voice our opinions. Anyway, I just feel like there are other more important things Miles City should be looking at than a hot lunch program. By the way... do you live in Miles City? Cause I seem to remember you don't, so I guesse it's not your taxes that will go up.
No I don't live in Miles City. I was smart enough to get out. I live in York NE where my taxes are already going to feed our kids AND pay for a new pool. I remember you saying you have kids. Lets see if you still say junior high kids don't need a lunch program when your kids get that age.
And you are right, this is a place to voice our opinions. In "My opinion", your statement is stupid.

[This message has been edited by StoveGirl (edited 5/11/2004).]
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4453) 18 years ago
Ann, as I posted on another thread, I'd like to get involved (hopefully with help) in the effort to build a pool, and was hoping maybe you'd be interested in attending a meeting next Thursday so you could give us/me (who knows if anyone'll show up right ) some pointers on what happened 8 years ago. It would be great to learn some of the do's and dont's gained through your prior experience.
supporter
Posted by Denise Selk (+1672) 18 years ago
Also on another thread, Carol Bean and I offered any help possible. Please let us know if a meeting is organized. Thanks, Denise.
Posted by JULIE HARRIS (+9) 18 years ago
One of the first steps that needs to be taken is to search for available funding by Grants. The City itselft cannot fund the pool. There are many grants out there that fund projects just like this one. It would be a great place to start before proposing a pool.
supporter
From the little bit of looking I've done, Julie, most grants that could be used to help build a pool are reimbursed after the project is already completely funded. Also, many actually have to be sponsored by a government entity, like a city or school district. For these reasons, I really think we need to try to get the city (or whoever else) on board with the idea before anything we do would be taken seriously.
supporter
Just an update on trying to get a meeting set up for a new pool:

I had a chance to talk to Mayor Grenz today, and he was very supportive. He said that (surprise, surprise) the issue comes down to money. He told me he would be willing to attend a preliminary meeting on the topic to try to help fill in the gaps on what's been looked at, what's possible, what's worked, and what hasn't. Please consider attending. As of now, I'm planning on next Thursday, June 10th at 7pm. I have to confirm this with the Mayor next week, so check back, and I'll confirm the date and time.

If you have any suggestions, please let me know.

Thanks,
Rick
Where will this meeting take place? I know several other folks who would be interested in attending. It would be helpful to get it out in the media-PSA on the radio stations and in the Briefs.
supporter
Ann, I hate to nail down the specifics right now because I'm still not positive if Thursday night will work for the Mayor. Hopefully I'll have a firm answer on Monday, and then we can pin down the details. Then, hopefully we'll be able to get a quick announcement set up for the radio, and maybe something in the paper. I'm just kinda getting started at this, so I apologize for the lack of organization.

Anyway, Angie Mork called me earlier today and filled me in a little on where the old "pool posse" left off. Just from what she had to say, I could tell that any input from members of that group, yourself included, would be invaluable. If you have any concerns or requests, please dont hesitate to post here, email me, or call.

Thanks,
Rick
[email protected]
234-0392
Posted by J. Dyba (+1339) 18 years ago
My suggestion is to have the meeting at the 600 cafe in that back room if it's not going to be larger then 20 people or so....

No particular reason why the 600 though.. /cough
OK, I'll wait to hear from you. My work phone is 234-6034.
supporter
OK, everyone, the meeting is set. Thursday night on the main floor of the Elks at 7 pm. The mayor said he should be able to make it, and hopefully, if we get the right people talking, we'll be able to make something happen. I hope everyone who has an interest in a new community pool (or any pool at all at this point, right?) is able to attend.

Please contact me if you have questions or concerns,

Rick
Posted by salli starkey (+60) 18 years ago
I'd hate to see Scanlan Lake "hung out to dry". I hold many good memories (and of coarse there is the family name). While I was in town, I happened on a rumor that it could be a political maneuver - to get a new pool (there really is enough water to fill it). When you have your meeting - cover all the bases, ask ugly questions (who benefits from this, and how). Change is a good thing, but some of the old ways are worth holding on to
Posted by Sue (+47) 18 years ago
I am not sure if I need permission to post an article from an online paper here, which I could copy & paste easily. Instead, since I want to make sure you all have a chance to read it, here is the title & link.

Summertime, When People and Parasites Head for the Water

http://www.nytimes.com/20...c9d32d3030
Posted by Angela Setera (+104) 18 years ago
Sue,
That is a GREAT article! I suggest EVERYBODY go read it.
Posted by Robert J (+20) 18 years ago
I take no news from the New York Times
Posted by Angela Setera (+104) 18 years ago
Why not Robert J? Is it an unreliable source?
Posted by Robert J (+20) 18 years ago
When thinking of the New York Times, two words come to mind.

Jayson Blair

This really has nothing to do with the "New Pool" topic. Please forgive me.

Just thought of two more words.

Political rag
supporter
No Robert, I think the Times would be a reliable source on the story in question. Well, as long as the bacteria aren't affiliated with a major political party.
supporter
Posted by Buck Showalter (+4462) 18 years ago
Yeah, I only get my news from Limbaugh. I just love the feeling of smoke going straight up my ... Can one man contradict himself so many times in a day? Impossible. Call Guiness.
supporter
Just a reminder!!!

Meeting at 7pm tonight at the Elks. Be there, and help out, or just talk some more... it's your choice.

Thanks for encouragment so many of you have given,

Rick
supporter
Wow, that was a great meeting. I think at our peak we had 36 people, and all seemed eager to take on the avalanche of work that this project is going to take. Thank you guys so much for your interest in improving our community.

And if you missed the meeting, it is never too late to get involved. What was decided was that we'd break our large group into subcommittees of interest/expertise.

We have a finance subcommittee for looking into funding construction.

We have a research/operations subcommittee, that will look into what an operations budget would look like, and how exactly we would like the pool to operate.

And then we have a survey subcommittee, which will take the town and area's pulse to see what people feel is really needed in a community pool or aquatics center.

The chairs of each of these subcommittees will also join the main, or oversight committee, that in addition will contain some of the players that will have to help figure out how the year-over-year bills are gonna get paid.

I would especially like to thank Dr. Hammon and Mayor Grenz for their time and invaluable input. These are the people we need in on the planning phase, so we can help ensure that this operation will be financially sound for years to come.

If you would like to get involved on any particular subcommittee, or would just like more information, please contact me, and I can get you pointed in the right direction.

Thanks,
Rick
(kuch[email protected])
(406)234-0392

[This message has been edited by Rick Kuchynka (edited 6/10/2004).]
founder
Posted by Donald Richard (+16) 18 years ago
We are doing a survey for the station and I had an extra question. I was interested in finding out if people of custer county would be willing to support a new pool financially on an annual basis. So I am having that question asked. We will survey two hundred people. Once I get the survey back I will share the results.
I don't think you will have any trouble finding people interested in the pool but when it comes to putting up the money, I believe support is going to thin out.
Posted by JULIE HARRIS (+9) 18 years ago
I would like to suggest that you take a look at the aquatic center in Gillette as a prime example if you are talking about building more that just a simple outdoor pool. If you are looking at going all out to build a year round indoor pool that could help to support itself with swimming lessons, open swimming and other activities, this would be a great example to look at.

Just a thought.
supporter
Just thought I'd give everyone a heads up. At the last meeting, we discussed having another public meeting on Thursday, July 1st. Well, I think we've come to the realization that that just wasn't enough time to be able to gather enough new information to warrant another meeting. We're starting to get some budget figures back from other pools around the region, which is good, but I don't think they'll be compiled into anything too meaningful by Thursday, so I'd like to postpone for a week. So we're planning the next public meeting at the Elks on Thursday July 8th at 7pm. Everyone is welcome.

Thanks,
Rick
Posted by lilhsgurl (+9) 18 years ago
Well, there sure is alot of talk going around about this new pool idea. I heard about this site from a young girl about my age so I decided to look into it just to post my thoughts on the idea. I don't know what will come of this, all I can do is hope I'm heard. I agree with those who would like a new indoor/outdoor pool, but also with those who don't want to see the oasis go to the dumps. I have two suggestions on the idea. I would love to see a water park be developed for Miles City, sort of like Big Timber. Big Timber has a population of about 1500 people and look at what the waterslides do for there community. Wouldn't it be nice to benefit from a nice place to cool off in the summer like that? Then, just so the oasis doesn't go down hill we could make it into a lovely little pond where you could rent little paddle boats, or canoes, boats without motors to avoid accidents, like what happend at Spotted Eagle a while back. This could go for Spotted Eagle as well. I think it would boost the amount of tourists tremendously. This I believe would be the perfect spot to go on a picnic and have a little fun on the water, with the park right next door this would be the perfect recreation area. I have two younger siblings who I feel would take advantage of a great oportunity such as some waterslides or a small recreation area. Those of you who are still worried about the money factor, you are right it does come down to the money. I'm pretty sure that even though this little old town is full of it's own ideas, I think we could all pull together and raise a little extra cash for a project like this to benefit our community, Like we did with the Agri-Sports Complex. This idea would be beneficial not only for the little kids, but teenagers, adults and grandparents alike. I may not be old enough to vote, but I do care about this community. I feel that everyones opinions should be heard on this idea, not just the adults or the few who show up for the meetings. Well, now that I have posted my thoughts I would love to hear any responses to my ideas, thanks for your time. ~LILHSGURL~
Posted by Dwight Hinkle (+44) 18 years ago
What are you, about 8 or 12 years old?
Posted by AR & AS & LS (+18) 18 years ago
Well, I'd say she's certainly older than 8. I've not seen an 8-year old who wrote at the level that this girl wrote at. I always thought that having paddleboats would be a great idea at the Oasis.
GET A SALES TAX!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+12372) 18 years ago
There were paddle boats at the Oasis at one time, about 25 years ago. They were privately owned, as I recall. We've dicussed that at the Main St. meeting. Lights along the shore and paddle boats. Sounds great to me. I think they range from about $750 to $2500, depending on what you want, so they aren't totally out of range in price. A dock, some boats, a BIG bottle of insect repellant.

Amorette
Well guys, I dont know why you would think im 8 years old, I may be as tall as an 8 year old but I dont think like one, FYI im 17, 18 in 3 months. So my idea about the oasis being turned into a little recreation area with paddle boats, do you think it could be something that could possibly happen? Also how farfetched does the waterpark idea sound. Is it way out of consideration or do you think it is something that could be considered?
supporter
I don't think a separate waterpark, like Big Timber's is going to happen. Big Timber is in a tourist-rich area, and they used to draw quite a bit from Billings. It probably wouldn't be built today, though, since Billings has their own slides now. If we do get to the point where we can construct a new pool, however, one or two moderate-sized waterslides (both running off the same platform and dropping into shallow "splash pools") could be very possible. I am a big advocate of this sort of waterslide, as it really broadens the appeal of the pool for people who aren't serious swimmers, and are just looking for some fun.

As for the oasis, I think it definitely needs to be incorporated more into Riverside Park, if a replacement pool is built. Paddleboats might be sketchy because you'd have to pay somebody to keep an eye on them and rent them out. I don't think they'd generate enough revenue to pay somebody to look after them. But I think it would be way cool if it could be dredged out some more and maybe stocked with perch for the kids like they used to do with Cook Lake.
Rick that sounds like a great Idea!!! I would be more than happy for something like that to be built here in Miles City. As for the oasis idea I still think that it would be a good idea and we need to brainstorm on more alternatives to doing this. People we need your input on this idea, lets get to thinkin! Thanks, LILHSGURL
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+18248) 18 years ago
Interesting article in the AP yesterday:

http://ap.tbo.com/ap/brea...0W0WD.html

As pools across the country close, I find it inreresting that a group of civic-minded citizens are trying to get a pool built in a town as strapped for cash as Miles City. Not that I have anything against it, it is a great idea, but it would seem to be very unlikely to happen unless an unknown benefactor appears, as the costs of maintaining the existing infrastructure in MC would seem to be enough of a tax burden for local residents.
Posted by James Birkholz (+25) 18 years ago
If you are ever able to get a new pool, it darned well better be named after Dave Rivenes and family, doncha think?
supporter
I'll second that, but if Dave had his way, the Oasis would just have a new name. Not that I would mind it, I'll miss that hole.
But doesn't "The Miles City Pool" sound better than
"The Dave Rivene"
supporter
It has to be something like the "Rivines Aquatic Center" or something like that. Use your imagination.
Posted by Darryl Condit (+50) 18 years ago
Buck, you can't tell me what to do.
Posted by barney (+220) 18 years ago
Why should the new pool if we ever got one built be named after Dave he was against Miles City building a pool to begin with. The man did alot of great things in this community but he shouldn't be made to look like a hero for something he was against. The Miles City Pool or Aquatic center sounds better than your suggestions.
supporter
Jeez you people can be jerks. "What did he ever do? Waa, waa, waa." If I remember correctly, the man helped raise about 38 generations of people in Miles City... He was old. They should probably just change the name of Miles City anyway. I could live in Rivines City, it's more PC than living in a town named after an Indian killer... though old Bearcoat might have changed his mind in the end. I forget.

[This message has been edited by Buck Showalter (edited 7/3/2004).]
Posted by kyle wolff (+69) 18 years ago
A water park or skate park couldn't happen in
miles city. Its to much fun,god forbid the kids in this
town have any fun.Lets give them nothing to do,put them
in jail,keep them out of our hair,YA Right.

As far as miles city named after a indian killer.
He was just following orders from the u.s. government.
the great people that we are.

If we do get something,name it after something
dead we always do.where good at that part.
Posted by rrxsd (+20) 18 years ago
For those of you that always complain about how horrible it is to live in Miles City - why are you still there? If you dislike it as much as you complain about disliking it, I don't understand why you don't either move - or better yet - quit complaining and do something to make it a place more to your liking. Gosh all you guys do is complain! I'm living away from there right now due to the fact my husband is in the military, but would give anything if I could be back there. Guess people are never happy, but always want something different.
Posted by barney (+220) 18 years ago
Whats wrong with naming a city after an indian killer as you say. He was just following orders on what to do. Also I agree don't complain if Miles City is so bad move to some place that is better. But if you do move you will find that those towns and cities all have the same problems because after a while you get bored with what you do have.
supporter
Damn son,
I'm just saying we should name the pool after Dave. Is that a complaint? Not really, my only complaint is stupid ass rednecks named barney. They litter my streets and air with pollution, ass crack, and body odor.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr (+15369) 18 years ago
Buck: So much for "tolorence and understanding". Isn't that what you liberals preach?
supporter
Except for ignorant rednecks. We like tolerance, but we'll war when it's necessary. Problem being, it hasn't been necessary for the past 25 years. I can tolerate people I haven't been forced to deal with much easier than those I have.
I've lived everywhere,no place is better than the
other.I like miles city and I don't.

That is the problem with people like you and your
way of thinking.With no complaining comes no change,with no
change things would stay the same.It's easy to just move
away,leave it up to someone else.Sure.

Live here,work,shop,walk the streets here you'll
see a few things that need to change.You don't live here,
so you have no say.
supporter
Well, to get back to the topic of the pool. We're making some good progress on getting the numbers together to see what kind of facility will be feasible. We're also finishing up a public survey that will measure what kind of facility (if any) our community will support.

That said, we're going to cancel the public meeting for Thursday night at the Elks. I got a good piece of advice from Ann Tribby, about not having meetings just to talk, and I'm going to follow that advice. I won't make the same mistake this time that I made last in rescheduling the meeting. We will call another public meeting when we have some real news to share with the community.

Until then, please know that we are working hard daily towards our goal, and sooner or later, we will succeed in getting a new swimming pool for Miles City.
Buck,are you then the offical ass crack and body
odor sniffer for this area?
by then, they could name the new pool "The Kyle Wolff Oasis"
supporter
Thanks to the survey committee for getting that awesome survey put out in the Star tonight. It looks great. Also thank you so much to the Star for donating the insert. That was way above and beyond. I guess I'll have to quit threatening to cancel my subscription over Mr. Stubbins' material. Anyway, I hope we'll get a nice response.

Hopefully not too many people will try the www.milescityaquaticcenter.org website just yet. The name is registered, but the changes are still bouncing around out there in DNSland. Plus the server isn't quite ready yet. Oh yeah, thanks to Nancy Swope, Don Warner, and the whole MCC team for donating some space for us. Anyway, I'm hoping everything will be operational on Monday. Until then, I'm looking for good content ideas to fill up the site, so if you have any, let me know. I've got a starter page, but we need some meaningful material. It will be good when we get some of these survey results back, then we can post some results there.

Thanks for your support,
Rick
Posted by wanderer (+8) 18 years ago
ummm... not to rain on your parade, but don't ya think an easier to type domain name might be better?

it know i couldn't type that... what about mcpool.org, milescitypool.org, mcswim.org, milescityswim.org, mcaqua.org, or whatever.
supporter
I think you should enlist Amorette to give you the history of the Oasis. It's quite a story, the river, riverboats, changing the course of the river, and on and on about Dave Rivines. It would be interesting material.
supporter
Yeah, the domain name is long, but it went to print before anybody really thought about it being too long, so we'll stick with it for now. We can register another name down the road. Besides, in the days of autocomplete, it shouldn't be too much of a big deal anymore. Heck I remember when you had to type the http://www. on every page you went to. Now that was a pain. We're so spoiled Thanks for the suggestion though.

Oh, and the domain should be up now so www.milescityaquaticcenter.org (whew, I made it!) is now running.

[This message has been edited by Rick Kuchynka (edited 7/17/2004).]
Posted by chica (+13) 18 years ago
guess what big timber is in the process of building a 4 million dollar indoor pool, BIG TIMBER population 1500 or so, how do u suppose they are doin that, weve been triing since i can remember like the 70's. I remember earlier we raised quite a bit what happend to all that money, if we have been raising money for so long since the 70's dont u think we should have close to enough by now, what happend to all that money. AND why are we wastin money pleasing tourists by filling the oasis for buckin horse, 10,000 dollars for all them engines and stuff to fill it?, then drain it then fill it again? why couldnt we have just have put that extremely large amount of money TWARDS A REAL POOL???
Posted by Sharon O'Connor McDaniel (+14) 18 years ago
I agree the community should try to get a better pool. I am a former Miles City Swimteam member from 1975-1978. I was also a lifeguard as well along with Jimmy Scheeler and many others. 2 million dollars is quite a bit of money for a pool, but there are also alternatives to a traditional pool. The website for alternative pools is endlesspools.com. Custer County High School also had a pool at one time and the basketball gym is currently on top of it. Swimming is the best form of exercise for all types of people. The other point you may want to make is by having a indoor pool on college property or anywhere else in town will bring in revenue by having a swimteam at college level as well as swimming in the AAU. There are scholarships available for young swimmers and with hard work and dedication you can look at swimming college level or going for the Olympics. Miles City has produced some of the best swimmers but do to lack of conditions they were not able to go further. I also coached a swimteam for 2 years while in the Army. You may want to also have a fundraiser to show the council how serious you are about having an indoor pool. There is also grant money available from the US Goverment as well, if you intend to improve the community.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+18248) 18 years ago
>>BIG TIMBER population 1500 or so, how do u suppose they are doin that

Big Timber has a nice big fat operating platinum mine that pays a giant wad of tax money. They are smart to be using that money on capital improvements while its around. Some counties stupidly use their mining tax money to pay for their operating expenses, which leads to budget shortfalls when the mine ceases operations or scales down.
They also have quite a few people that have summer homes up there who support the idea for a pool and donated alot of money twards it. not only people with summer home but active members in the community who donated alot of money also... They also have a huge pool committee, whom goes out and sells water and other types of concessions at local events like lewis and clark days. I was up there for 4 days and i seen them doin alot more twards getting a pool in those few days than i have ever seen anyone do here!
Maby im wrong in saying this but i think if our pool commitee or town was REALLY interested in gettin a pool we would quit sittin around havin meetings and talkin about it but rather doing somthing, inform the community whats goin on, i dont know hang up posters or have little donation cans around at the businesses
supporter
The problem is, you can't really decide on what kind of facility you want, or more importantly can afford, without having alot of specific information. As I've said before, I'm not nearly so worried about having "fundraisers" to help build a pool, I'm worried about who's gonna pay that big yearly maintenance bill. Those people in Big Timber won't be selling bottled water every year for the next 30 years to help cover operating costs. Those are covered by their local government. As Gunnar said, they're probably seeing some increased revenues due to substantial growth and mining revenue. Miles City has neither, so we need to be very careful about doing this responsibly.

As for community awareness, we are conscious of it. We had a public meeting to kick the whole thing off, which was well attended, and the Star has been very generous with their coverage. We are also gauging public support for a new facility with the survey that the Star put out last week (for free, thanks again). That said, it's foolish to try and keep the public pumped up about something in perpetuity. When we have a firm gameplan, and some actual plans and numbers in writing, then the community will (hopefully) be much more involved.

[This message has been edited by Rick Kuchynka (edited 7/22/2004).]