Don't clean up your garden until July
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+1269) 6 months ago
https://gramho.com/media/...1936161209

According to this post which is going around on the internet, you should not clean up your garden until temperatures stay above 50 degrees, which would probably be into July around SE Montana. I generally clean up my garden and plant lettuce, carrots, peas, beets strawberries around April 24. This post says wait until July. If I wait until July to plant tomatoes, squash, melons, I might as well forget it.

The reasoning behind this is that there are beneficial insects in the stems, refuse, etc., and if you clean these out of your garden, there won't be any to pollinate your garden. Nonsense, these insects will fly in from survival areas around your garden. Gerry Wegner, PhD Entomology & Biology, Ohio State University: "Chances are you do not want to protect most kinds of insects that overwinter in dead stems and leaves of garden plants, a number of which are harmful to garden plants, ornamentals and lawns." I assume he is talking about slugs, cutworms, tomato hornworms, etc.

So, don't listen to the advise in the link above which is making its rounds on the internet.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+1
supporter
Posted by Robert Martelle (+729) 6 months ago
Now I have an excuse that I can give to the neighbors who have pristine yards...I don't want to kill the bugs that help pollinate their flowers and veggies.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+2