American Prairie Reserve
supporter
Posted by tom regan (+2377) 7 months ago
This is interesting. Evidently, a rich out of stater is buying a bunch of ranches up around Fort Peck and the Charles M Russell Wildlife Refuge for the purpose of establishing a gigantic prairie nature preserve. It is going to be open to the public. This isn't your typical situation that usually happens where a rich a-hole buys up huge tracts of land, then blocks access to public lands.

I was wondering if this is a topic of conversation around MC and Eastern Montana?

https://www.americanprairie.org/
permalink   ·  vote tally
+2
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9071) 7 months ago
I've seen people complaining about it quite a bit on FB. I'm all for it - let the market decide!
+1
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine (+14876) 7 months ago
Unless they introduced bison, or use some other way of mimicking high-intensity short-duration grazing, this landscape will rapidly deteriorate. It will become infested with scrub juniper and other noxious weeds.

It also removes additional land from the tax rolls. So between this and the Hutterites, there is little to no tax base to pay for schools or roads in these counties.

This kind of ecological gentrification usually has negative impact on both the economy and the ecosystem.
+4
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9071) 7 months ago
As I understand it, they do intend to reintroduce bison into the APR.
+1
banned
Posted by Jerry e (-144) 7 months ago
Reply to Bridgier (#381422)
Bridgier wrote:
I've seen people complaining about it quite a bit on FB. I'm all for it - let the market decide!

You are so clueless aren't your . Or a special kind of stupid.