Dairy Queen Dish Identification
supporter
Posted by Karen L. Morris (+1190) 15 days ago
Probably not a surprise that I'm asking for assistance again--some memories are harder to pin down as the years go by. I've located a large quantity (13 so far) of plastic Dairy Queen dishes. The stand is removable and has Dairy Queen embossed on it (photo doesn't show that well). My best guess is that they date back to the 1960s although it could be early 1970s. The 1960s are more likely as we were a bit less "throw away" as a society back then. I seem to remember they came with banana splits in them; however, it might have been a sundae (just seems a bit too large for that). Can anyone help me out with details? Thanks!

permalink   ·  vote tally
+1
supporter
Posted by Shu Pius (+1764) 15 days ago
I'd have to check with Tab Fleming to confirm this, but I think that dish was used for the brownie sundae. The banana splits were made in a sort-of yellow plastic boat-shaped dish not on a stand. This would of been back in the 70s and 80s. Of course, these may have been used for banana splits at some other point before that.
+1
supporter
Reply to Shu Pius (#380362)
Thank you, Shu! I don't remember the brownie ones being as popular when I was a kid, but maybe the folks just ordered what they wanted. I do remember ice cream cones for a dime and baby cones for free. Hopefully, the statute of limitations has expired and it's OK to confess to getting the baby cones for our little dog, Gidget. Of course, Gidget would eat the 10 cent cone and I'd get the baby one! I also remember Dilly Bars and later on, the Buster Bar...
founder
Posted by David Schott (+15181) 15 days ago
The Internet seems to think those dishes were "mid century" Dairy Queen banana split "boats".
+1
supporter
Reply to David Schott (#380366)
Thank you! Being sort of a "mid-century" thing myself, that does coincide with my memory that it was probably 1960s. I don't remember calling them "boats", but I do remember eating the contents.