Looking for news article, obit, etc.
Posted by Bosworth (+20) 3 months ago
I just discovered that one of my ancestors lived (not sure how briefly), married & died in Miles City in 1908. Have marriage certificate & death certificate, and am fascinated by the fact that they are one day apart. Bessie Mae Bosworth married Gus Tengwall on October 9, 1908 and died on October 10, 1908. Wondering (if your libraries are open) if anyone might be able to look for any newspaper article or obituary from that time. Can send you some $ for your time via check or PayPal.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+1
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+10627) 3 months ago
If you are not in a rush, I can check next time I'm at the Star. I am the history columnist for the newspaper so I can check the originals. No charge. The library is open and has all the issues on microfilm so if you are in a hurry, call 406-234-1496. I'm sure Jean or Gloria could help.
+4
Posted by Bosworth (+20) 3 months ago
No rush at all. Thank you for the offer! Do you need any more information from me?
Thanks!
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+1187) 3 months ago
If you go to newspapers.com, click onto "Browse", in quotation marks write "Gus Tengwall", scroll down the states and click onto Montana, hit "Search" a few articles come up. One is from the Anaconda Standard from October 12, 1908. There is only a snippet since I am only browsing, and you have to pay for the entire article, but if you get hold of the article, it will shed some light on what happened.

[Edited by Don Birkholz (7/31/2020 6:25:03 AM)]
+3
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+10627) 2 months ago
If I have exact dates, it takes very little time but I won't be going into the Star until later in August. Although I now want to know the story myself.
+5
Posted by Bosworth (+20) one month ago
Reply to Amorette Allison (#380392)
Hi again ... just wondering if you've had a chance to look yet, Amorette Allison? Sounds like you've been busy with the coming election, though.
I'm not in a rush, just checking back in ...
Thanks!
+1
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+10627) one month ago
Thanks for reminding me! I have been busy with school but have to get to the Star in the next week or so and will TRY to remember to check.
+1
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+10627) one month ago
The Star didn't come into existence until 1911 but I found the weekly Independent and in the Wednesday, October 14, 1908 edition, on the last page, found this:

Death of Mrs. Gus Tingwall

Miss Bessie Bosworth died Saturday morning at a small house near the hospital where she has been living for some time. Miss Bosworth was formerly employed as a nurse at the Custer county hospital and was considered one of the best in the institution. She had not been well for some time, however, and her death was not unexpected. The immediate cause of death was blood poisoning.
Although she was not expected to live, her marriage to Gus Tingwall, the tailor, took place Thursday morning. Rev. H. A. James performed the ceremony. She was a young lady of good social standing and was held in high esteem by all who knew her.
A telegram was sent to her father, F. W. Bosworth, of Cedar Rapids, Iowa, and the funeral occurred Tuesday.
+5
Posted by Bosworth (+20) 28 days ago
Thank you so much! Will pass this info along to the rest of the family!
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+10627) 28 days ago
Marrying someone just before they died wasn't uncommon back in the good old days. I can think of at least two other examples in early Miles City history, medical care being what it was.
founder
supporter
sponsor
+2
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1407) 27 days ago
Reply to Dave Roberts (#380717)
Dave Roberts wrote:

Yeah, damn Dave, "Edit" looks different than "Quote"

The addition is a blurb/clipping from the Anaconda Standard about her death

[Edited by Dave Roberts (9/29/2020 6:42:55 PM)]
Posted by Bosworth (+20) 14 days ago
Thanks so much, Dave! Had the marriage and death certificates, but appreciate the newspaper article.

Sadly, Bessie's life had not been easy, even before the tragic early death. Her father was abusive to her and her sister (my great-grandmother) and she had moved to Montana for work, hoping to send for her younger sister as soon as she could. That obviously never happened, but my great-grandmother eventually named her own first-born daughter after her sister. Seems as though her death was partially caused by a miscarriage, and that she had been ill for a long time. Nice to know that Gus married her before she died.

Thanks, everyone!
+1