From the 1973 Miles City Tourist Guide
supporter
Posted by Karen L. Morris (+1194) 2 months ago
Lots of memories with the ads and features (48 pages long). I picked a couple I thought might bring back a few memories:

Happy to check for others upon request.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+5
founder
Posted by David Schott (+15432) 2 months ago
Reply to Karen L. Morris (#380307)
Adjusted for inflation that Crossroads Inn $3.00 Sunday Buffet would cost $17.42 in 2020 dollars.
+4
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+15019) 2 months ago
Still seems like a screaming deal. Especially when you consider the alternatives in Billings, Golden Corral, Country Buffet and the like.
+2
supporter
Reply to David Schott (#380308)
I think I like $3.00 better! Of course, I suspect my age has been "adjusted for inflation" by now too!
+1
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1407) 2 months ago
Yep! Love Motors is what brought my Mom's folks to Miles City and I'll never forget the Crossroads

Curious to see that Love had a 232- prefix. Probably want long before it burned

We have pictures of Fritz & Lyle at Love after the fire and Lyle was killed in 1957 I think. I know that Fritz had moved to Hines then and Lyle worked at Hines for at least one summer. Did they rebuild Love and change ownership/names at some point after the 232- prefix or did "232-" happen before 1957?

[Edited by Dave Roberts (7/26/2020 5:33:43 PM)]

[Edited by Dave Roberts (7/26/2020 5:39:09 PM)]
+2
founder
Reply to Dave Roberts (#380311)
"Curious to see that Love had a 232- prefix. Probably want long before it burned"

Burned? That Love Motors location looks like the present-day Stockman Center building and the former Miles City Ford location.
+1
supporter
Reply to Dave Roberts (#380311)
I'm not positive when the 232 prefix started, but the number at the house here was (still is) 232. The folks bought it in January 1959. They were on N 4th before that, so they may have brought the number with them (came to Miles in 1958). I'm a '57 model so confess I don't have real clear memories of that time.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Reply to David Schott (#380312)
David Schott wrote:
"Curious to see that Love had a 232- prefix. Probably want long before it burned"

Burned? That Love Motors location looks like the present-day Stockman Center building and the former Miles City Ford location.

Yep. Love had a big fire in '56 or '57 and was a complete rebuild I'd bet judging from the pictures. Since Karen posted this as being '73, (I missed that part), I think it was a rebuild
+1
founder
supporter
sponsor
I'm pretty sure that Lyle was born in Devil's Lake ND where Fritz worked for the Ford dealer and I know that Mom was born in Miles in '45 when Fritz worked for Love.

Fritz went to Hines before Lyle died in '57 but I don't know how long before. I do know that Fritz was at Love from '45 or earlier to '55, maybe '56 and the fire was after he'd left but before Lyle died.

Mom has pictures of Fritz & Lyle posing at the aftermath of the fire. I'll get scans and post them when I get home some day. It may be a bit, it seems to rain every night (when the roofers want to work) here (Nashville)

[Edited by Dave Roberts (7/26/2020 6:11:34 PM)]
+2
founder
Reply to Karen L. Morris (#380307)
Karen L. Morris wrote:

Happy to check for others upon request.

Any advertisement for Foster Drug or Big Sky Pharmacy?
supporter
Reply to David Schott (#380318)
Interestingly enough, there is no Foster Drug and no Big Sky Pharmacy.

The Drugs Section of the Directory lists only Thompson Rexall Drug and Western Pharmacy, with the former being the only one I could find an ad for.

+3
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine (+14304) 2 months ago
Never mind

[Edited by Richard Bonine (7/27/2020 9:33:30 AM)]
Posted by Wil Nelson (+73) 2 months ago
The 232 phone prefix came with the new telephone building on Pleasant between 8th and 9th. It was put in during the very late 50's or early 60's as I recall. It had "modern switch gearfor automatic dialing and replaced the old telephone building on Main next to the Library.
+2
supporter
Reply to Wil Nelson (#380430)
Thank you! I remember the phone company being there and had friends that worked as operators. I'll have to keep an eye out as I go through the "archaeological digs" since I have a narrower time frame to check out now.

I do have some office equipment covers from the Star (typewriter and adding machine) that date back prior to the 232 prefix. That helps date them, too!
supporter
Posted by Robert Martelle (+422) 2 months ago
The "new" phone building on Pleasant St. was built before 1959. My grandparents owned a home on that site and sold it to Mountain Bell. It was torn down for the new building. I remember using the phone at their new house and had to get the operator and ask for a number "cedar 2-xxxx". The CE part of the word cedar 2 was turned to 232 with automation and the new fangled dial phones.

Casper Berger and family (Gordon's dad) lived next door where the accounting office is on 8th & Pleasant.
+2
supporter
Reply to Robert Martelle (#380432)
Thank you! By the time I was old enough to use the phone on my own, we had the 232. We also had that wonderful system called party lines for quite awhile (as I recall). I don't remember when we all got "private lines". I remember that, if you needed anything, the operator (a real person, of course) was always available to help--was a sad day when that was no more . . .

Of course, my grandparents (outside of Newcastle, WY) had an even more fun system until they moved to town in 1967. They had no electricity or running water and the phone on the wall had to be cranked by hand. The operator answered and connected the call. As a kid, I thought that was such a wonderful system!
founder
+1