Changing Medical Costs
supporter
Posted by Karen L. Morris (+1190) 25 days ago
Mom passed away in 2010 so I suspect she no longer cares if these are disclosed. (Yes, I'm going through the archaeological digs.) I don't remember what she was hospitalized for in 1959 (I wasn't very old); however, I found the room and board rate of $12 quite attractive. I do remember her being hospitalized in 1969. That was the one year that Dad did the Christmas shopping (usually Mom's job). Not only are the prices of interest; however, I suspect a few others will recognize the names of the doctors on staff. Time passes so quickly . . .

permalink   ·  vote tally
+5
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3204) 24 days ago
Our son Sean was born in 1968. We paid for him up front. Doctor, hospital and all the trimmings cost us $500.00.

Last year, I spent an hour and a half in the ER for toxic chemical in my eye and the bill was $6200.00. My co-payment was $90.00 but insurance paid the outrageous charges. Oh, I forgot the $1200.00 ambulance ride that insurance didn't cover. All in all, it's pretty obscene. I will admit that the Doctor saw me for one or two minutes. The nurse administered the drops.
+1
supporter
Posted by Karen L. Morris (+1190) 24 days ago
Reply to Tucker Bolton (#380264)
I don't remember exactly when the costs went through the roof; however, it seems to me to be related to the uptick in insurance. When you add in what you have to pay for the insurance, it's even worse for a total cost. Sadly, as I recall, Mom even got to see the "real doctor" for what was paid and they threw in free suckers for the kids, too. Times have changed and I, for one, don't believe for the better.
+1
supporter
Posted by Shu Pius (+1764) 24 days ago
Reply to Tucker Bolton (#380264)
Tucker Bolton wrote:
Our son Sean was born in 1968. We paid for him up front. Doctor, hospital and all the trimmings cost us $500.00.

When you say "all the trimmings" I take it that means you had him circumcised? . Never mind, you don't have to answer.
+1