Masks? Wal Mart YES, Holy Rosary NO DON'T BOTHER!!
Posted by Dick Ellingson (+609) 3 months ago
I had an appointment at Holy Rosary Hospital yesterday. I wore a mask. A couple in front of me at lobby check-in had no masks so the person who takes temperatures gave them masks. They refused to wear them. She made a weak attempt to persuade them but they refused, so she just let it go and they left, masks in hand.

I somewhat rudely asked her, "What the hell's going on?" and she replied, "There's no mandate." I shouted in their direction, "They're idiots!"

Then I got to my appointment location and the check-in person had no mask on. I said, "Where's your mask?"

She: "I was on the phone."

I: "You're not on the phone now."

She: "I'm sorry."

I: "This is a hospital. Put on your mask!"

She, putting on mask: "I apologize."

Montana reported a record 145 additional coronavirus cases yesterday. Two weeks ago, after a day with 67 new cases, Bullock proclaimed, "I hope we can still get a grasp on the spread of the virus in our state — and we can if we do better as Montanans.”

Get a grasp, Governor! Are you still hopeful? How are you doing, Gov? Better? I mean, as a Montanan?
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+2
-1
supporter
Posted by tom regan (+1765) 3 months ago
There may not be a mandate, but the hospital could implement a mask policy just like Walmart. This is on the administration of the hospital. If you are entering a health care facility where there is a vulnerable population, and you refuse to where a mask, you are basically a selfish POS, and should not be allowed to enter.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+4
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+10588) 3 months ago
When we went to HRH yesterday for an appointment -- wearing our masks -- the guy behind us had no mask and a horrible cough. The receptionist practically threw the mask at him. He did put it on while we ran away. Everyone we saw was masked.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+2
supporter
Posted by Shu Pius (+1774) 3 months ago
Reply to Dick Ellingson (#380200)
Dick Ellingson wrote:
I somewhat rudely asked her, "What the hell's going on?" and she replied, "There's no mandate." I shouted in their direction, "They're idiots!"

Then I got to my appointment location and the check-in person had no mask on. I said, "Where's your mask?"

She: "I was on the phone."

I: "You're not on the phone now."

She: "I'm sorry."

I: "This is a hospital. Put on your mask!"

She, putting on mask: "I apologize."

Montana reported a record 145 additional coronavirus cases yesterday. Two weeks ago, after a day with 67 new cases, Bullock proclaimed, "I hope we can still get a grasp on the spread of the virus in our state — and we can if we do better as Montanans.”

Get a grasp, Governor! Are you still hopeful? How are you doing, Gov? Better? I mean, as a Montanan?


You know, Dick, I AM on your side with this issue. I do wear a mask and observe social distancing and such...but you might want to think about trying to control your temper rather than go around yelling at people as you say you did here.

Yelling is not going to bring the results you want. It's more likely that those you yell at are going to do the opposite of what you want them to do because you pissed them off.

It is the hospital administration's responsibility to enforce the policy of wearing masks. Try taking it up with those in charge...without yelling, perhaps.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+7
-1
Posted by Dick Ellingson (+609) 3 months ago
From Shu Pius"

"You know, Dick, I AM on your side with this issue. I do wear a mask and observe social distancing and such...but you might want to think about trying to control your temper rather than go around yelling at people as you say you did here.

Yelling is not going to bring the results you want. It's more likely that those you yell at are going to do the opposite of what you want them to do because you pissed them off.

It is the hospital administration's responsibility to enforce the policy of wearing masks. Try taking it up with those in charge...without yelling, perhaps."
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+2
Posted by Cbs (-54) 3 months ago
So what mask works the one's I tried fog up my glasses? And a hard time breathing. And do they work.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
-1
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+10588) 3 months ago
You can find and adjust masks for the fogging issue and you don't have that much trouble breathing. You just want to be selfish and find an excuse to breath your germs over everyone around you. I wear glasses and NEVER go into a public place without one.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+3
-4
supporter
Posted by Karen L. Morris (+1194) 3 months ago
Reply to Cbs (#380207)
My solution is to have the mask up on my nose high enough that my glasses essentially "seal" the mask so it doesn't fog up. There are a wide variety of masks out there and different ones seem to work better for different people. The key is to wear one because it protects both you and the other person. They do work. Keep trying . . . it's worth it and you are worth it, too!

You can do a Google search for different methods that work so, if my solution doesn't work for you, give a different one a try.

Good luck!
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+4
Posted by Cbs (-54) 3 months ago
Reply to Amorette Allison (#380209)
Amorette Allison wrote:
You can find and adjust masks for the fogging issue and you don't have that much trouble breathing. You just want to be selfish and find an excuse to breath your germs over everyone around you. I wear glasses and NEVER go into a public place without one.


Didn't ask you to be a jerk . Guest ask a question.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+2
-2
Posted by Cbs (-54) 3 months ago
Reply to Karen L. Morris (#380211)
Karen L. Morris wrote:
My solution is to have the mask up on my nose high enough that my glasses essentially "seal" the mask so it doesn't fog up. There are a wide variety of masks out there and different ones seem to work better for different people. The key is to wear one because it protects both you and the other person. They do work. Keep trying . . . it's worth it and you are worth it, too!

You can do a Google search for different methods that work so, if my solution doesn't work for you, give a different one a try.

Good luck!


Thank you for the advice
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+2
supporter
Posted by Karen L. Morris (+1194) 3 months ago
Reply to Cbs (#380213)
You're welcome!
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+1
supporter
Posted by Shu Pius (+1774) 3 months ago
Reply to Cbs (#380212)
Cbs wrote:
Amorette Allison wrote:
You can find and adjust masks for the fogging issue and you don't have that much trouble breathing. You just want to be selfish and find an excuse to breath your germs over everyone around you. I wear glasses and NEVER go into a public place without one.


Didn't ask you to be a jerk . Guest ask a question.


I know that Cbs is known for doing sloppy, misspelled, hard-to-understand posts, but I'm siding with him on this one.

AMORETTE, THAT WAS RUDE AND UNCALLED FOR! The mask issue seems to be causing division everywhere between the wearers and the non-wearers. Many of the wearers have turned into bullies. Much like Dick yelling at people without masks, rudeness like what you exhibited here is alienating the non-wearers as opposed to helping to bring people around to wearing the masks.

And yes, I do wear masks, social distance and wash my hands often. My hands are dry from all the washing and sanitizer. Don't bother coming at me with any rude remarks about spreading germs. I am doing my part to help contain them.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+8
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine (+14304) 3 months ago
Reply to Cbs (#380207)
Cbs wrote:
So what mask works the one's I tried fog up my glasses? And a hard time breathing. And do they work.


rant/

Questions about the effectiveness of masks are relative. Compared to not wearing a face covering, yes they provide some protection. Compared to an N95 mask, this study, https://journals.sagepub....1001500204 suggests they have an efficacy of less than 35%. Pick your poison.

I am aware that David "I-don't-do nuance" and his toadies at the blue-screen-of-death keyboard squadron will be along shortly to Schott down this information, likely because the authors 2nd cousins third wife had a torrid love affair with an executive over at 3M. Whatever.

I wear a face tampon because:

-As a Richard, I wouldn't want curmudgeonly dicks Yellingson at me;

-In New Mexico the fee for the privilege of not wearing one is $100 for every episode you encounter the face tampon police and I can't afford those kind of payments;

-I like my job, and the face tampon has become a condition of employment;

-It's fun to dress up as an old-time cattle rustler or bank robber.

All of that said, I find the times in which we live confusing and depressing. It infuriates me that a new virus is seen as another opportunity to monetize some syringe-friendly solution. I don't understand why we willingly fill ourselves with pharmaceuticals in the pursuit of a longer life, just so we can spend the last 5-7 year of our lives dying in some fukcing hell-hole nursing home. Who needs that s h i t? Honestly, if this is the way life is going to be going forward, I am ready to exit the scene now. But because I have to wear a face tampon, I am not able to catch a cold.

/rant
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+6
supporter
Posted by tom regan (+1765) 3 months ago
The Governor of Colorado issued a statewide mask mandate this morning. I moved out of Denver to the Western Slope of Colorado at the beginning of the year to get out of the rat race. We have very little COVID in our community and the mandate might be a little bit of overkill where I now live. But, I will wear a mask in the grocery stores, and any place where there may be crowds. I will do this out of respect for the grocery store and retail workers, and to hopefully keep COVID from spreading in our community and potentially killing vulnerable folks. It is a minor inconvenience and the least we can do to end the pandemic as quickly as possible and maybe get back to normal. Or whatever normal will look like moving forward. If wearing a mask causes you to have trouble breathing or fogs up your glasses, consider asking whatever store you need to go if they have curbside pickup or delivery. Many businesses are doing this now. Small towns and rural communities are not immune to the pandemic. As Miles City has recently witnessed, it only takes one asymptomatic person to start an outbreak. Do it for your friends and neighbors.

And being forced to wear a mask in public is not taking away your rights or a violation of your human rights. That is plain idiotic.

permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+2
supporter
Posted by mikeh (+299) 3 months ago
To cb re foggy glasses:

rinse glasses in soapy water and dry them. it leaves a film that the fog doesn't cling to (but it isn't distracting). Works for me most of the time .
Top
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8477) 3 months ago
I see the politeness police are out in force, to protect cbs's fee fees - I hope they're as active in other threads when CBS feels the need to be a bigot.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+1
-2
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+15019) 3 months ago
Yawn. I can't believe we are even still having this debate.

Wear a mask when you enter a public or private building.

If you have issues with wearing a mask, make alternative arrangements, like curbside pick up of groceries or whatever.

It isn't that freaking hard.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+9
Posted by Dick Ellingson (+609) 3 months ago
After reviewing the criticism of my "naughty manners", I can only say that if you aren't angry about the possibility of being fatally infected by someone too thoughtless to wear simple protection, then you are probably still denying the existence of Covid-19.

How I express my righteous anger is nobody's business but my own and that of those to whom I express it. Nobody who knows me would call me a curmudgeon, but feel free to if it'll calm you down.

Years of experience have given me the ability to think clearly and to analyze what I see and hear.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+2
Posted by Cbs (-54) 3 months ago
Reply to Bridgier (#380220)
Bridgier wrote:
I see the politeness police are out in force, to protect cbs's fee fees - I hope they're as active in other threads when CBS feels the need to be a bigot.


I'm as much a bigot as you are.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+2
supporter
Posted by Shu Pius (+1774) 3 months ago
Reply to Dick Ellingson (#380223)
Dick Ellingson wrote:
How I express my righteous anger is nobody's business but my own and that of those to whom I express it. Nobody who knows me would call me a curmudgeon, but feel free to if it'll calm you down.


Nobody's business but your own...and yet, here you are posting about it on a public forum.

And I don't see anyone on this thread denying the existence of COVID 19. That still doesn't give you the right to go around yelling at people.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+3
founder
supporter
Posted by Earl Bennett (+843) 3 months ago
Reply to tom regan (#380218)
Now, I think of some of my nursing co-patriots who stand in a line knowingly to (at risk of self) test thousands of at risk people (apparently some are asymptomatic).
Many of them wear a FACE SHIELD and a MASK.
or the full SUIT

Here's to that..
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+4
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3334) 3 months ago
Ah, damn it Earl. You have spoiled a perfectly good, old school Miles City dot calm pissing contest. Cheers
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+2
Posted by super8bitable (+151) 3 months ago
The amount of people complaining about having to wear masks on Miles City Chatter (which I still can’t join because of the inactive admin) really makes me lose faith in the people there. I have the biggest urge to argue about it with them and school some folks
Top
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8477) 3 months ago
I just went and checked, that thread is STILL going, and is one big FU to the Custer County School District.

I've made a conscious decision to NOT join Miles City Chatter, mainly because I'm weak, and I'd engage with all these stupid virus loving motherprocreateers.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+2
-1
Posted by super8bitable (+151) 3 months ago
Reply to Bridgier (#380250)
Bridgier wrote:
I just went and checked, that thread is STILL going, and is one big FU to the Custer County School District.

I've made a conscious decision to NOT join Miles City Chatter, mainly because I'm weak, and I'd engage with all these stupid virus loving motherprocreateers.


Good idea. I did the same with Dawson Discussion. I figure they’re both not worth my time.
Top
moderator
founder
Posted by David Schott (+15432) 3 months ago
All the high class people hang out here on milescity.com.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+3
supporter
Posted by tom regan (+1765) 3 months ago
Cognitive dissonance.

"Because of the intense polarization in our country, a great many Americans now see the life-and-death decisions of the coronavirus as political choices rather than medical ones. In the absence of a unifying narrative and competent national leadership, Americans have to choose whom to believe as they make decisions about how to live: the scientists and the public-health experts, whose advice will necessarily change as they learn more about the virus, treatment, and risks? Or President Donald Trump and his acolytes, who suggest that masks and social distancing are unnecessary or “optional”?"

"Although it’s difficult, changing our minds is not impossible. The challenge is to find a way to live with uncertainty, make the most informed decisions we can, and modify them when the scientific evidence dictates—as our leading researchers are already doing. Admitting we were wrong requires some self-reflection—which involves living with the dissonance for a while rather than jumping immediately to a self-justification."

https://www.theatlantic.c...ic/614074/
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+2
Posted by super8bitable (+151) 3 months ago
Another reason to not use the original Miles City Chatter .

permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+5
supporter
Posted by tom regan (+1765) 2 months ago
More fake news about the fake "plandemic".

Public health professionals are on the brink. I've said this before. Most of what we are dealing with could have been avoided if we had any leadership at the federal level.

"A pandemic would have always been a draining ordeal. But it is especially so because the U.S., instead of mounting a unified front, is disjointed, cavalier, and fatalistic. Every week brings fresh farce, from Donald Trump suggesting that the country should do less testing to massive indoor gatherings of unmasked people.'

https://www.theatlantic.c...ay/613879/
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+1
newbie
Posted by The Scot (-19) 2 months ago
And now the deaths begin. The mask wearers and elderly are the ones who will be going.
I know i will be standing over a lot of graves.

First lesson- dont be fat. Second- dont wear a mask. Third- should have taken better care of yourselves
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
-10
Posted by Mike Freeman (-14) 2 months ago
It's hard to believe how gullible the general public is on this topic. Many of us who were in the military trained for chemical and biological warfare and know these masks everyone are wearing are useless. Any Corona virus will pass through them. Not only that, they don't seal well enough to protect. Walk by someone wearing perfume while wearing your mask and you'll see what I mean. You can smell the perfume. No protection. To be effective the mask material would have to have the correct filtration and the mask would have to have a tight seal. And your eyes would also have to be covered. They are connected to your sinuses and throat. In the military they put us in a "gas shack" and gave us a puff of tear gas. Even whisker stubble will break the seal on a proper mask enough to allow passage of contaminants. Ask an OSHA inspector what they think of these masks people are wearing. You'll get an education from an expert. The masks we are being mandated and shamed into wearing are useless in protecting from Covid-19. Period! If you are gullible enough to think you are protected and protecting others you have been misinformed and believe a lie. Being mandated to wear these masks has nothing to do with protecting from the virus. There is another agenda.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
-8
Posted by Frank Burns (+204) 2 months ago
Reply to Mike Freeman (#380450)
Mike, can you tell us why surgeons wear masks while performing surgery?
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+6
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+15019) 2 months ago
Reply to Mike Freeman (#380450)
Mike Freeman wrote:
It's hard to believe how gullible the general public is on this topic. Many of us who were in the military trained for chemical and biological warfare and know these masks everyone are wearing are useless. Any Corona virus will pass through them. Not only that, they don't seal well enough to protect. Walk by someone wearing perfume while wearing your mask and you'll see what I mean. You can smell the perfume. No protection. To be effective the mask material would have to have the correct filtration and the mask would have to have a tight seal. And your eyes would also have to be covered. They are connected to your sinuses and throat. In the military they put us in a "gas shack" and gave us a puff of tear gas. Even whisker stubble will break the seal on a proper mask enough to allow passage of contaminants. Ask an OSHA inspector what they think of these masks people are wearing. You'll get an education from an expert. The masks we are being mandated and shamed into wearing are useless in protecting from Covid-19. Period! If you are gullible enough to think you are protected and protecting others you have been misinformed and believe a lie. Being mandated to wear these masks has nothing to do with protecting from the virus. There is another agenda.


This is terribly, terribly wrong. Mike is referring to chemical contaminants/agents which a mask will do nothing for. However, COVID-19 is an aerosol contaminant, and a mask, while not perfect is probably 90 -95% more effective than no mask at all.

An apples to oranges comparison. As a Board Certified Environmental Engineer, the amount of misinformation that is being passed around during this pandemic makes me want to pull the few remaining hairs I have out of my head.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+9
Posted by Mike Freeman (-14) 2 months ago
In response to Frank's question...wearing masks during surgery is a different situation. There's a long explanation. Don't know if I can condense it down. They aren't dealing with an airborne virus but keeping themselves from breathing onto an open wound and protecting themselves from random contamination from blood and other patient fluids, etc. It's a different scenario. Gunnar brings up a fair argument but has neglected the fact that even if mask filtration material could stop the virus it's a moot point since these masks being used DO NOT SEAL. Yes, they may be somewhat effective just like if you held your hand up when someone coughs on you but because these masks don't protect from the size of the contaminants and don't seal they don't offer sufficient protection. I'm no fool, if these masks were effective I'd be the first person to wear one. But we need to look at facts and not blindly follow along with someone's questionable agenda. I'm not a conspiracy theorist but do question some things. Why are they pushing us to wear masks when they know they are very limited in effectiveness. If/when they develop a vaccine will they order us to have it? Then look at the National Coin Shortage issue. Have our coins just disappeared? All of these things smack of government control. I wonder. Coins aren't traceable but if we have to go to using a credit card for everything they can see what we buy and limit what we can buy. For example, you go to buy a firearm and your credit card won't allow that. Too much going on to believe it's all a coincidence. I think we need to look at facts and ask ourselves why our government is pushing for so much control.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
-7
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8477) 2 months ago
They're not supposed to protect YOU, they're to keep your nasty germs from being spewed out in droplets when you breath or sneeze.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+12
Posted by Mike Freeman (-14) 2 months ago
Bridgier...think about it. If masks don't seal and stuff can get in by going around the same applies for stuff getting out, even more so because it's being expelled with more force. In both cases protection is very limited. Watch a film of someone sneezing wearing a mask and you'll see how ineffective they really are. Why are so many so willing to follow along like sheep instead of examining the facts? Putting faith in a lie does more harm than good. We think we are protected and don't follow what will really be effective, like distancing. What I'd like to see is how many contract or spread the disease while wearing a mask. Let's look at all the facts instead of blindly believing and following. What is the real agenda?
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
-4
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+10588) 2 months ago
There is no agenda. There is science and caring about other people. Remember the Golden Rule? I was raised with it but apparently a lot of folks weren't. Wearing a mask will not cause you to suddenly become intelligent and understand actual science. It will not cause you to suddenly become compassionate and decent. It will not cause your dick to fall off. But it might save a life.
And I think human life is worth a little sacrifice. I understand that you are selfish and paranoid and proud of your brainwashing but it really will NOT HARM YOU to wear a mask and maybe, just maybe, keep yourself and others safe.
Of course, if you think human life is worthless, then I guess there is no point in this discussion.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+7
-1
Posted by MEBO9 (+42) 2 months ago
It’s not just one thing that is going to protect you from virus transmission. The messages have been to keep 6 feet apart, wash your hands, and wear a mask. If you only do one of those three, the chances of spreading the virus increase. Doing all three has the best chance of decreasing the spread.

Regarding the “coin shortage” it’s really more of a circulation issue. Small businesses accept cash and coin, make bank deposits, accept more cash and the circulation continues. With so many businesses closed, the coins aren’t moving. They still exist, they just aren’t circulating like they were before. BTW, getting quarters for laundry has been a challenge. Fortunately, there has been less laundry because we aren’t going out as much.
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+7
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+15019) one month ago
permalink   ·  vote tally
Top
+4