Miles City Chronicles
Posted by Eric Brandt (+839) 13 years ago
I am please to announce that we have officially launched our Miles City Chronicles TODAY!

John Munsell interviews Albert Bender today - his 98th birthday!

Please join us at The Miles City Voice for a wonderful 1-hour interview. http://www.milescityvoice...rticleId=3

There is another interview scheduled on December 8th. (Will tell you who it is then )

PLEASE help us with this project. This is a free service to everyone. Tell your friends. Invite your Grandparents. Call me and schedule a slot where you can sit and recollect for everyone to share.

I would really like to be doing at least one interview a week.

Thanks,

Eric Brandt
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3718) 13 years ago
Cool idea but the video isn't loading for me. I see the media player but even after letting it sit there for 15 minutes hitting play doesn't do anything.

Could be a firewall issue as I'm behind a pretty strict one at the moment.
Posted by Linda Morgan (+574) 13 years ago
isn't loading for me as well....
Try it again. Works great from the inside! Bounced the firewall. See if that helps.

Eric
supporter
Posted by Nancy (+283) 13 years ago
The player launches, but I can't get it to play. I would love to see 'Mr. Bender'. He was my principal at Lincoln School in the 60's. Those were the days of 'watch it or you will go to the principal's office!'. We always looked in 'there' to see who he was 'beating' and never saw a soul. He was the kindest man.
Posted by Fred South (+161) 13 years ago
It won't play on mine either.
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4457) 13 years ago
WMP is reporting it can't find the file specified...

I just learned something though about WMP 11. Apparently it doesn't support MMS. So if the website is streaming using legacy Microsoft MMS, it may be Media Player 11 that's the problem. Or maybe you're just using the MMS url, but it's not actually using MMS.

Maybe someone with an earlier version of Media Player could try it?
supporter
Posted by Rick Kuchynka (+4457) 13 years ago
Just hooked up an old Win2k machine I had sitting here, with WMP 9, and it played the video just fine.

I'm guessing it's WMP 11.
My video server IS MMS! You're on to something.

This explains why it always works for me, because I hate WMP11 and have stayed with 9 and 10.

Hmmm. I will have to research this.

Thanks for the tip.
So the problem is absolutely related to the fact that my older server is running MMS. Those of you on WMP 9 or 10 should still be able to view it. WMP11 - you're out of luck for the moment.

The suggestion to use YouTube is out, since they have a limit of 10 minutes.

I am uploading the video to Google Video and will try to embed that into the website. That alternative appears attractive. They allow long video, it's free, and I don't have to limit the number of connections since they pay a lot more for internet than I do

The FLASH option is very attractive. I can still maintain complete local control of the content and it's highly configurable. I will still have to contend with the bandwidth limits of about 10 viewers at a time. The biggest downside to this is the need for a FLASH streaming server. Looking at some open source options, but Macromedia's server is clearly the better way to go. Sadly, I don't have $4,500 for it

I will keep you posted.

Eric
Posted by Mary Jane (Hagen) Reiff (+19) 13 years ago
I just downloaded this and it worked fine. I too had Mr. Bender as my principal at Lincoln Grade School in the 60's. How fun to see him. Nancy is right, he was the kindest man. I remember the paddle on the wall of his office. (There was one in Miss Timmer's room as well!!) I never saw it used, but remember, this was a day when all you had to do was know it was there and you behaved. I'm sure many will disagree, but I believe that a great part of respect comes from fear of consequences and there just doesn't seem to be many consequences facing kids in school these days.
WOOOHOOO!

I found that I can upload a large file to Google Video.

I have pushed the video there.

I wrote a quick plug-in to let me embed the video directly in my wiki site and it WORKS! Should work for most everyone. - SAME LINK as before...

http://www.milescityvoice...rticleId=3

Thanks!
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9981) 13 years ago
Cool. I could never get the old stuff to work with WMP10, but your new page displays great now on my computer.

Regards, Larry
MilesCity.com Webmaster
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11537) 13 years ago
CONGRATULATIONS! Mr. Bender is a lovely man.
founder
Posted by Bart Freese (+932) 13 years ago
Man, you're not kidding about the large video to Google. So much for the 10 min. YouTube max. I've yet to watch the interview, but need to. Mr. Bender was my 4th grade principal at Jefferson and is a very nice man, as was his wife.
Posted by Farra Olson (+33) 13 years ago
It was so wonderful to see Mr. Bender's video. When I was Rodeo Queening, I enrolled in Toastmasters, and Mr. Bender was an avid member. He was the kindest "Ah" counter. For all you Non-Toastmasters, every time you lost your way, and said 'Ah', or 'Um', he would make a little tally on his sheet, and at the end of your speech, he would gently tell you how many times you miss-spoke. I still catch myself thinking about this when giving a public speech. He and his lovely wife even attended one of my Bucking Horse Sale Queen Competetions!
I am pleased to invite you to watch a one-hour interview of Wes Munsell.

Wes was interviewed today in the Miles City Voice studio. This is of course a free service for the family to use, and for you to enjoy.

Ever in the holiday mood, today I offered Wes DOUBLE the usual pay to share 89 years of memories with his Son - John Munsell - kind enough to take his time to conduct the interview.

Wes talks about his years growing up in the Depression and how the depression and banks caused a lot of people to move. Moving to Baker Montana in 1934, and taking over the family business right out of High School.

It was interesting to hear him speak about how the rural communities did not suffer in the depression like the Cities did. He never remembers going hungry. I've often though how fortunate we were to have a strong agriculture. Historically - societies which relied on their agriculture seem to endure economic distress fairly well.

In the 50's when the inaugurated the interstate highway system, he thought ~ "What are they spending all that money on these roads? We got pretty good roads" - but now we couldn't get along without them - it was a great thing to happen.

I won't spill too much of the plot or you won't want to watch.

http://www.milescityvoice...rticleId=4
This video is about 1 hour.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Please share with your friends and family. All you need to do is contact us to book a time to use the studio. It pays nothing, but it's free to use. And just for incentive: TRIPLE PAY SPECIAL for the next person to conduct an interview!