Benson Optical
supporter
Posted by Karen L. Morris (+1190) 28 days ago
Does anyone remember when Benson's closed? I plead guilty that I am doing another listing for eBay (for an eyeglass case - pictured below). I believe the glasses that originally came in it were purchased for my sister in the 1960s. In the interest of ensuring my longevity (at least a bit longer), I will not post a photo of her in the glasses. I try to include background data on my listings where I can. Thanks for any help you can provide!

permalink   ·  vote tally
+4
founder
Posted by David Schott (+15172) 28 days ago
That's pretty neat, Karen. It makes me think of Rollie Swick and Jim Bertrand who worked at Benson's Optical in the time that I visited the place (first half of the 1980s). At that time Benson's Optical was located in the Miles City Clinic building on N Jordan Ave and Clark Street.

Jim Bertrand is, to the best of my knowledge, still alive and living in Billings. Rollie passed away in 2010.

I'm not sure when Benson's Optical closed.
+1
supporter
Posted by Karen L. Morris (+1190) 28 days ago
Reply to David Schott (#380156)
At least in "my time", Benson's was the ONLY place to go for eye wear. I have fond memories . . . that's the most difficult thing about going through all the "treasures" . . . I keep wondering where all the interim years went and how we all got older. Being the "last in line", I've decided it is wise to settle for photo memories and try to re-home the physical objects as much as I can. That way, someone will have the opportunity to appreciate them (other than the dump). Getting old is definitely not for sissies!
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+14645) 28 days ago
I can't help you on when they closed, Karen, but can say that I went to Benson's for glasses in the late 1970s when they were located at a clinic across the street from the former Holy Rosary hospital. Garberson clinic? Someone help me out here.

Nevermind, Dave answered that.

[Edited by Gunnar Emilsson (7/12/2020 8:16:39 PM)]
+2