Hotel Olive Cafe
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14769) 6 days ago
Here is an old post card (mailed in 1911) that shows the Hotel Olive Cafe. Looks like a pretty nice place with the linen tablecloths and napkins (not that paper napkins were an option in 1911). I'm not sure about the orientation. Is N 5th Street to the left of the photo?

Thanks to Gary Coffrin for sending me this photo.

[Click the photo to open the IMGUR site, then click the photo on IMGUR for a larger view.]
permalink   ·  vote tally
+4
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+10025) 5 days ago
Now there is a nasty dropped ceiling. If I were rich, I would wander around paying people to restore original ceilings.
+1
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14769) 5 days ago
Reply to Amorette Allison (#379667)
If I were rich I would buy the Olive Hotel and make it the nicest place to stay in eastern Montana.
+4
supporter
Posted by Becky Gergen (+392) 5 days ago
I agree with you Amorette, the old ceilings were way more interesting and appealing.
+3
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+10025) 3 days ago
People thought dropped ceilings would save energy because the heat wouldn't rise beyond the dropped ceiling. They were wrong. They are also used to cover up new HVAC and wiring, so they do have a real function. When the con man I was being amused by yesterday was trying to convince me I had won $850,000 from Publisher's Clearing House, I did indulge in some day dreaming about giving various building owners money to restore their buildings. Sadly, it was a just a con, but it provided entertainment on a dull day.
+3