South Haynes Ave. circa 1980
founder
Posted by David Schott (+15186) 3 months ago
A post card photo of South Haynes Ave. looking north from the I-94 interchange. My guess is this is in about 1980. Gallagher's was still Country Kitchen. That looks like a Chevy Citation (first model year was 1980) in the 4B's parking lot.

You've come a long ways, Haynes Avenue!

Thanks to Gary Coffrin for sending me the photo.

[Click the photo to open the IMGUR site, then click the photo on IMGUR for a larger view.]
permalink   ·  vote tally
+9
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+14660) 2 months ago
Makes me hungry for a Matador breakfast burrito at the Five Flies.
+2
Posted by DJanssen (+94) one month ago
Look at that hay field where Walmart now stands! You Sir are doing a fine Job with preserving MC History! Where's the KATL tower? And what frequency was it then?

[Edited by DJanssen (7/10/2020 2:21:40 PM)]
+1
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine (+14301) one month ago
Well, Mrs. Denton is at the 4-B's. And they'll leave the light on for you for the low price of $12.95.
+1
Richard, that is not phrased in the way a modern traveler thinks. I take it you don't rely on modern means OMG lauging! I know you do!
Reply to DJanssen (#380112)
somebodys has filled in a few words, that sounded not so elegant.I really should take at nap.

[Edited by DJanssen (7/10/2020 4:08:47 PM)]
founder
Posted by David Schott (+15186) one month ago
Reply to DJanssen (#380102)
The KATL tower is there if you look carefully. I'm guessing it was still 1340 AM at that time.
Reply to David Schott (#380114)
It is! I't was good to see it. Did you call into the request line around then?
Reply to DJanssen (#380115)
You know that evil Paul Harvey was a staple in the area around then! My mother didnt like him! Come On! We can all get along!!

[Edited by DJanssen (7/10/2020 4:35:55 PM)]
Posted by super8bitable (+96) one month ago
The more I see of Miles City the more I fall in love with it. Eight more weeks until I move here!
Reply to Richard Bonine (#380106)
So Mrs. Denton left the light on for you? I apologize, just a dumb question! I really should get back to work.
Reply to Gunnar Emilsson (#379657)
What was the name of the cafe on Baker road!
founder
Reply to DJanssen (#380115)
DJanssen wrote:
It is! I't was good to see it. Did you call into the request line around then?

Heck yeah. I even won a KATL Coors Light Silver Bullet werewolf themed T-shirt in some radio contest. I think by then it was 770 AM.
+3
supporter
Posted by Hanson (+1014) one month ago
Before it was KATL it was KRJF.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine (+14301) one month ago
Reply to DJanssen (#380119)
DJanssen wrote:

Husky House
Will 4B's continue to exist? I was expecting to see it removed last time I was there. The new curbs indicate to me it may stay?
+1
Reply to Hanson (#380123)
Looking at wiki, KRJF went to KATL when Star Printing purchased the station. It does not say what year? I hate when I hear information then thinking I remember the time! Did it happen late sixties, early 70's. I don't see this info in the FCC links.

[Edited by DJanssen (7/11/2020 8:46:33 AM)]

[Edited by DJanssen (7/11/2020 8:52:16 AM)]
founder
Reply to Richard Bonine (#380124)
Richard Bonine wrote:
DJanssen wrote:

Husky House

At some point the Husky Truck Stop became the Flying J Truck Stop and for a time the restaurant was known as Thad's Diner. Who was Thad and whatever became of him?
+1
founder
It seems that "Thad's Diner" or "Thad's Restaurant" was a common name for restaurants attached to Flying J Truck Stops.

The restaurants were named after Thad Call who was was the son of O. Jay Call, the founder of FJ Management / Flying J.

Thad Call passed away in 2018 at the age of 55:

Legacy.com: Thad Call Obituary

"He was involved in family businesses, serving as a stockholder and board member of Flying J and FJM."

Quoting from the book: "Building Value to Last: The Flying J Story" by Crystal Maggelet (daughter of O. Jay Call and brother to Thad):

"It was a great way to show our appreciation for years of service from an executive team who had been an integral part of Flying J's success. We took time to reflect on our past successes and imagine all that we could accomplish together in the future. I asked everyone to tell their favorite Flying J story. My brother, Thad, shared a great story about flying across the country with my dad in a helicopter and stopping at Flying J plazas along the way -- some that had Thad's Restaurants in them. Everyone laughed as Thad, for whom the restaurants were named, told how one plaza employee asked for his autograph and didn't even recognize our dad."
+1
Posted by super8bitable (+96) one month ago
Reply to DJanssen (#380125)
DJanssen wrote:
Will 4B's continue to exist? I was expecting to see it removed last time I was there. The new curbs indicate to me it may stay?

I too am wondering what will happen to 4B’s when the roundabout is finished.