Posted by tom regan (+997) one month ago

Trump is more concerned about the stock market than a public health emergency.

I guess being President is more than golfing, making bad trade deals, hating immigrants, and jacking up the national debt with corporate tax cuts. Who knew?

Trump is the most corrupt, incompetent, and inept President in the history of our country.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+7
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13771) one month ago
To answer Trump's question, "what a-hole is in charge of this?"...............WHITE-HAIRED GUY!!!

+5
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+2672) one month ago
The first sentence I thought of was 'You're doing a great job, Brownie'.
+4
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13771) one month ago
+2
Enough with the joking around! It is apparent this will be a serious pandemic.

Citizens of the U.S. need to become familiar with the symptoms of Coronavirus.

These symptoms include:

1. Mild to severe fever

2. Upper respiratory symptoms such as sinus congestion and sore throat

3. Generalized muscle aches and pains - similar to influenza

4. Possible pneumonia

5. Mild diarrhea and abdominal discomfort

6. The urge to shove a wedge of lime into your beer

You're welcome
+3
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14186) one month ago
Thanks for clarifying, Richard.
supporter
Posted by Barb Holcomb (+410) one month ago
Wash your hands, sneeze/cough into your sleeve, don't shake hands, wipe off grocery carts, before you use them, wear gloves/mittens to open doors, press elevator buttons, etc. It's the same precautions people should use against the flu or any other virus.

Cheers,
+8
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1297) one month ago
With all respect to the General- Mayo is currently still big on handshakes, though they often promptly wash their hand after and *never* touch their faces with bare fingers

Really curious thing to be there (Rochester, we just left) and witness some of the folks / nationalities and how the Clinic handles them

Elevator etiquette is a dead giveaway of circumstances where one should wash their hands as soon as possible
supporter
Posted by Barb Holcomb (+410) one month ago
Dave - Interesting and sorry you have to go to Mayo. Whenever I have a cold or allergies I do elbow bumps. I just tell the person when they hold out their hand that I have some congestion and don't want to spread anything, but I'm happy to bump elbows. They usually laugh and bump. This has worked in several countries as well as here. Yeah - the elevator is a Petri dish.

Cheers,
+2
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1297) one month ago
It seems like the only way local Billings outfits would've found that I had CTEPH was via autopsy (if then--) so the trip to Rochester paid off in spades no matter how long and surreal it was and pretty much still is

Considering how hard a common cold has hit me over 7+ years of this, I kind of feel justified in "babying out" when I got head colds and they dropped me like a ton of bricks, and have little doubt that COVID-19 would take me out in nothing flat so I'm obsessing preventative measures right now
+3
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14469) one month ago
Sorry to hear that, Dave.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13771) 28 days ago
I love the Orange Dotard's address to the nation last night. "It's the EU's fault!"

That sure settled down Wall Street as the markets continue to spiral downward today.

The three largest COVID-19 clusters are Seattle, San Francisco, and NYC. Seattle and San Francisco have extensive dealings with Chinese businesses, and NYC is the financial capital of the world. No, Donny Dufus, it came from China.

[Edited by Gunnar Emilsson (3/12/2020 2:24:26 PM)]
+4
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13771) 28 days ago
Excellent op-ed piece by Paul Krugman on why Trump is such a colossal failure.

https://www.nytimes.com/2...sContainer

I love how his travel ban list of countries conveniently omits countries where he owns a hotel or golf course.
+2
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14469) 26 days ago
+3
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14469) 26 days ago
+3
supporter
Posted by Robert Martelle (+286) 25 days ago
Governor Bullock issued the following this afternoon. It closes all Public K-12 schools for two weeks.

TO: The People of the State of Montana; all officers and agencies of the State of Montana
DATE: March 15, 2020
RE: Directive implementing Executive Orders 2-2020 and 3-2020 and providing for
measures to combat the spread of COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus
Executive Orders 2-2020 and 3-2020 declare that a state of emergency exists in Montana due to the
global outbreak of COVID-19 Novel Coronavirus.
In accordance with the authority vested in me under the Constitution, Article VI, Sections 4 and 13,
and the laws of the State of Montana, Title 10, Chapter 3 and Title 50, Chapter 1, MCA, and other
applicable provisions of the Constitution and Montana Law, I hereby direct the following measures
be in place in the State of Montana effective immediately:
1. School Closure
• All non-residential public schools in Montana are closed through March 27, 2020.
• All eligible schools will continue to receive all state payments under the school funding
formula, including per person ANB funding, as budgeted and appropriated by the Montana
legislature.
• During this time, schools will engage in planning to provide:
o arrangements to provide free meals to students who need them, pursuant to a waiver
obtained from the United States Department of Agriculture.
o all other matters and services that students need in the event of future or ongoing
closure.
• The state will work with schools during this period and evaluate and announce next steps.
Authorities: Section 10-3-104, MCA; §§ 50-1-202, -203. -204, MCA; 37 A.G. Op. 132 (1978);
Executive Orders 2-2020 and 3-2020; Montana Constitution, Art. VI, Sections 4 and 13; §§ 10-3-
103, -302, and -305, MCA; and all other applicable provisions of state and federal law.
2. Nursing Homes
• Visitation is suspended for all visitors and non-essential healthcare providers, except as for
certain compassionate care situations (e.g., end of life).
• The State of Montana adopts the guidance and procedures provided by the Centers for
Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) in the March 13, 2020, memorandum entitled
“Guidance for Infection Control and Prevention of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) in
Nursing Homes (REVISED)” accessible at https://www.cms.gov/files/document/qso-20-14-
nh-revised.pdf and provided with this Directive. This specifically includes the “Additional
Guidance” procedures provided on pages 3-4 (e.g., cancellation of group activities and active
screening of staff and residents).
• For essential visitation (e.g., end of life) the following screening must occur:
o Signs or symptoms of a respiratory infection, such as fever, cough, shortness of
breath, or sore throat.
o In the last 14 days, contact with someone with a confirmed diagnosis of COVID-19,
under investigation for COVID-19, or ill with respiratory illness.
o International travel within the last 14 days to countries with sustained community
transmission.
o Domestic travel in the last 14 days to areas with sustained community transmission.
o Residing in a community where community-based spread of COVID-19 is occurring.
Authorities: Section 10-3-104, MCA; Executive Orders 2-2020 and 3-2020; Montana Constitution,
Art. VI, Sections 4 and 13; §§ 10-3-103, -302, and -305, MCA; §§ 50-1-202, -203. -204, MCA; and
all other applicable provisions of state and federal law.
3. Public Guidance Regarding Social Distancing
The Governor, in consultation with public health authorities, strongly recommends the following
guidance:
• Limiting all gatherings, especially those gatherings of more than 50 people.
o Organizers should refrain from planning new gatherings and cancel existing
gatherings.
o Individuals should refrain from attending.
• Persons age 60 or older should not participate in any gatherings, especially those gatherings
of more than 20 people.
• Persons who are immunocompromised or with chronic health conditions should not
participate in any gatherings, especially those over 20 people.
• Parents should avoid, if possible, placing children for childcare with grandparents, family
members, friends, or providers over the age of 60 or immunocompromised persons.
4. Transportation
• The limited waivers on motor carriers provided in the Federal Motor Carrier Safety
Administration’s (FMCSA) Emergency Declaration No. 2020-002 are adopted and in effect
in Montana and run concurrent to the federal declaration and its limitations, which increases
the legal weight limits by 10 percent for commercial vehicles to provide supplies to help
support response to the emergency.
• The FMCSA declaration is accessible at:
https://www.fmcsa.dot.gov/sites/fmcsa.dot.gov/files/2020-
03/FMCSA%20Emergency%20Declaration%203.13.20.pdf
Authorities: Section 10-3-104, MCA; § 61-10-111, MCA; Executive Orders 2-2020 and 3-2020;
Montana Constitution, Art. VI, Section 4; and all other applicable provisions of state and federal law.
5. National Guard Resources
• As provided in the March 14, 2020, Directive implementing Executive Orders 2-2020 and 3-
2020, the resources and operational capabilities of the Montana National Guard are available
to respond as necessary and at the Governor’s direction. The Adjutant General is authorized
to place members of the Montana National Guard on State Active Duty status.
Authorities: Sections 10-3-104 and -305, MCA; Executive Orders 2-2020 and 3-2020; Montana
Constitution, Art. VI, Sections 4 and 13; §§ 10-3-103 and -302, MCA; and all other applicable
provisions of state and federal law.
6. Limitations
• This Directive is effective immediately and expires at the end of the declared state of
emergency in Executive Orders 2-2020 and 3-2020.
• This Directive shall be implemented consistent with applicable law and subject to the
availability of appropriations.
• This Directive is not intended to, and does not, create any right or benefit, substantive or
procedural, enforceable at law or in equity by any party against the state of Montana, its
departments, agencies, or entities, its officers, employees, or agents, or any other person.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14469) 25 days ago
Reply to Robert Martelle (#379231)
My kids' schools here in Washington state started out being closed "until 3/27" but within a day that turned into "until 4/24". Don't be shocked if Montana's schools wind up being closed beyond 3/27.
+1
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9871) 24 days ago
I went to school at my usual 7:30 in case someone didn't get the message. EVERYONE did. We got a few calls on food distribution, will there be homework and one parent saying, "Two weeks? Really? We're heading to the farm." Spring in Montana. Not all the kids will be sitting around playing video games.
+1
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+1139) 19 days ago
This is the best site I have found for tracking coronavirus infections and deaths: https://www.worldometers....ountry/us/ The listing includes all US states, and ranking, and also some other countries if you scroll down (Italy- which has around 12% of "known" infections dying.)
+1
Posted by miles town native (+36) 18 days ago
I thought on Friday, March 20,2020 at 8 p.m. all bars, restaurants, movie theaters, gyms and other gathering places were shut down to inside customers by a Governor's order, that included social distancing and no public gathering. Then why would a Miles City (non-restaurant) business have a sale with out of town sales representatives present and serve a free dine-in lunch to customers? Some could interpret that as a total disregard for the well being of this community, state and nation!
+2
supporter
Posted by Shu Pius (+1661) 18 days ago
Other than taking the recommended precautions in order to to prevent the spread and get through this pandemic, my only other thought is this: I wish Miles City's own Dr. Hilleman was still alive today! He'd likely get us the vaccine so we could get through this more quickly.

I know a vaccine is currently being worked on but it is, of course, in the testing stages now and won't be ready for public distribution anytime soon.
+4
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+1139) 18 days ago
In my link a few posts earlier, if you scroll down to Montana and then go horizontal across the page to the (source), you will get the cases per county. Gallatin leads with 10 infections.
+1
supporter
Posted by Barb Holcomb (+410) 16 days ago
Shu

Perhaps Dr Hilleman could develop a vaccine. Unfortunately, he would have to go through the same processes today's scientists are going through so it's unlikely it would be any faster. There are several vaccine candidates in the works. There are also treatment protocols being researched. I believe the FDA is poised to move quickly once we have potentially viable solutions for either prevention or treatment.

Cheers!
+2
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13771) 15 days ago
Four Senate Republicans (one of them being Leningrad Lindsey) are holding up passage of the COVID 19 relief package because they are afraid that once people who have been laid off get a check from the government to pay for their rent/mortgage, they are not going to want to go back to work.

That said, Democrats don't have any reason to be proud, either. Another reason why this bill has been a certain faction of the Democratic senators has been demanding that climate change issues be addressed as part of the package.

These idiots need to put their ideological difference aside, and let this measure pass and get enacted. True, there were some excellent changes, such as not allowing Trump to control a half a billion dollars bailout to corporations such as the resort and hotel industry but now is the time to just pass it as the end of the month is here and rent is due.
+1
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8297) 15 days ago
I'd like to see a cite on the democrats holding the bill up over climate change issues - all the reporting I can find only seems to mention the Republicans.
supporter
Posted by Hanson (+851) 15 days ago
Like Bridgier, I would like to see the authority for comments that Democrats are holding up the stimulus package on climate change issues. The only support for that position that I am aware of is in a couple of speeches by Moscow Mitch McConnel.
supporter
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14469) 10 days ago
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14186) 7 days ago
The American Medical Association has weighed in on Trump's Corona strategy: The Allergists were in favor of scratching it, but the Dermatologists advised not to make any rash moves.

The Gastroenterologists had sort of a gut feeling about it, but the Neurologists thought the Administration had a lot of nerve. Meanwhile, Obstetricians felt certain everyone was laboring under a misconception, while the Ophthalmologists considered the idea shortsighted. Pathologists yelled, "Over my dead body!" while the Pediatricians said, "Oh, grow up!”

The Psychiatrists thought the whole idea was madness, while the Radiologists could see right through it. Surgeons decided to wash their hands of the whole thing and the Internists claimed it would indeed be a bitter pill to swallow.

The Plastic Surgeons opined that this proposal would "put a whole new face on the matter.” The Podiatrists thought it was a step forward, but the Urologists were pissed off at the whole idea. Anesthesiologists thought the whole idea was a gas, and those lofty Cardiologists didn’t have the heart to say no.

In the end, the Proctologists won out, leaving the entire decision up to the assholes in Washington.
+5
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13771) 3 days ago
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14469) 2 days ago
+1
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13771) 2 days ago
This is a great read on what a total failure Trump is.

https://www.theatlantic.c...es/609532/
+3