Yellowstone Ice Company of Miles City
supporter
Posted by Karen L. Morris (+1029) 3 months ago
Yet another "find". I came across a vintage ice pick (all metal). The handle indicates it was "Compliments of Yellowstone Ice Co., Miles City, Mont." and the phone number was "87". The two digit phone number makes me believe it existed some time ago. Does anyone know anything about the Yellowstone Ice Company or when it existed? Thanks!

permalink   ·  vote tally
+5
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+10025) 3 months ago
I know they were around 100 years ago because I come across them in Stardust.
+5
supporter
Reply to Amorette Allison (#379045)
Thanks, Amorette! Any idea when we switched from the 2 digit phone numbers?
+2
Posted by David Laird (+46) 3 months ago
My dad's family operated an ice company in Miles City in the early 1900's. They lived on Yellowstone Ave at the time.
+3
supporter
Reply to David Laird (#379048)
Based upon what Amorette wrote, this may be the same (the timing is close, at any rate). Is there anyone in your family that might know something more? Thanks!
+1
I have an aunt in Billings and one in MC that I will reach out to. They might know. This is really cool.
+3
supporter
Posted by Hanson (+928) 3 months ago
I remember the ice house on Yellowstone in the 40s.
+3
That was the one. Dad used to tell stories of cutting ice on the Yellowstone growing up. My sister and I have some of the ice tongs they used to lift the ice off the river. I think it was stored in a building behind the house.
+5
supporter
Reply to David Laird (#379050)
That would be great! Thank you! I enjoy history and even more when it is shared!
+2
Posted by Wayne White (+263) 3 months ago
I believe the ice house was on the southwest side of town over by the old OK corral, went there with my father, I think it was an old two story frame building that was full of river ice.
+1