The Bank of Miles City
supporter
Posted by Karen L. Morris (+978) one month ago
In going through my parents' things, I came across three vintage deposit/coin bags. For the two deposit bags (Miles City Bank and 1st National Bank),I was able to trace the history (eventually became Stockman and US Bank). So far, I have been unable to figure out The Bank of Miles City (the coin bag). My parents came to Miles City in the late 1950s. Does anyone have any idea? Thanks!

permalink   ·  vote tally
+2
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14292) one month ago
The Bank of Miles City was located at 516 Main St in 1935 according to this FHA "Approved Mortgages" book.

Are the "Miles City Bank" and "The Bank of Miles City" one and the same?
+1
supporter
Reply to David Schott (#379013)
Good find! I am guessing you are probably correct that they are one and the same. Dad worked for L.P. Anderson as the bookkeeper so it makes sense that he might have had a deposit bag that went back prior to the name change. Note that it became First Security Bank in 1965 and then Stockman Bank in 1997 (from what I found).
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14292) one month ago
This website indicates the Miles City Bank was founded on 1-1-1944, so that would suggest the Miles City Bank was different than the Bank of Miles City (which was in existence in 1935).

https://www.usbanklocatio...tory.shtml
+2
supporter
Reply to David Schott (#379015)
I wonder what became of The Bank of Miles City. That definitely narrows down the time frame for it to have gone away.
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+2932) one month ago
https://books.google.com/...ty&f=false

PAGE 647 Information about the Bank of Miles City.
+3
supporter
Reply to Jeri Dalbec (#379023)
Great find, Jeri! Your skills are better than mine (most everyone's are)! We're still missing the piece of what the Bank became (or what happened to it) since it seems to no longer exist.
+1