Old Guy Rant
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+12600) 10 days ago
The subject line should cause all millenials to skip this.

I just spent an hour trying to download a music CD to iTunes on my computer, and finally have given up. What once seemed like a trivial task, now is Byzantine.

To continue my rant, I used to have nice clear conversations on THE TELEPHONE with clients, friends and family without having to say, "Excuse me you just dropped off" or "My skype is having issues, I suspect my computer." Landlines had excellent audio clarity. Cell phones and Skype? A piece of crap.

Friday afternoon at work I would pencil my timesheet in by hand and hand the piece of paper to an administrative assistant. if you forgot to do that, well, Monday morning was fine. Now it is holy h-e double toothpicks if it is not submitted by 5 pm Saturday.

I used to approve subcontractor invoices by emailing my financial group, "Ok" and a charge number. Now I have to log on to Oracle and spend a half hour "creating a receipt."

John Prine said in the song Paradise, "Chalk it up to the progress of man."
Posted by Wil Nelson (+57) 10 days ago
Transferring songs from a CD on a Mac should be no more than a drag and drop procedure from the CD to iTunes songs or a playlist.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9010) 10 days ago
: -) Yup. The world grows more complicated every day.

But I do appreciate Old Guy / Old Fart rants – it’s good to know I’m not alone.

permalink   ·  vote tally
+2
supporter
Posted by cj sampsel (+482) 10 days ago
Nothing I hate more at work, VA, than they are going to do an update or an enhancement to the computer system. It's always way more complicated instead of easier to do whatever. I thought these damn things were supposed to make things easier.
+3
Posted by Oddjob (+156) 6 days ago
I worked at two different mines that got sold a bill of goods to institute J.D. Edwards supply chain management software. Both spent millions on the software and a team of programmers that became operation fixtures. They lasted longer than I did. Prior to the "upgrade", I would send an e-mail to the warehouse requesting supplies with sourcing and the account code. A day or two later, I would get what I ordered. Once a month I got a statement from accounting reconciling the budget. Simple, but the only purpose of any active mine is to streamline Purchasing and Accounting.

When J.D. Edwards went on line, I would have to log in with an ever-changing assigned password (usually mission impossible) then search through endless menus to find the new "purchase requisition" of the day. The form had about 10 or 12 required entries, asking ambiguous questions that all had little or nothing to do with the actual item you were trying to order. All of these boxes had to be correctly filled in before moving on to "distribution". Additional fun was to be had because the full time team of programmers were always in pursuit of billable hours and could never leave anything alone. They would "update" the process at least two or three times a week.

If and when I could navigate the ever-changing forms and menus minefield, I was rarely able to progress as far as getting to a lit "send" button. (Usually they remained grayed out for reasons that are yet to be explained.) I would click on the "send" button then sit back and wonder if my order had really made it across the street. Inevitably, I would have to wander over to purchasing and annoy them by making them search for my requisition. Half the time it wasn't there and I would have to fill out a hard copy to get the order started.

Hard copy purchase requisitions always entailed a trip to Accounting for a half hour lecture dealing with their assumption that I was an idiot who couldn't "figure out" J.D. Edwards.

The only thing that ever made me feel better about my experience with J.D. Edwards was when I got to visit several mines in South America which were having the same fun, converting their entire admin and operation over to SAP. Sometimes progress isn't.

But don't worry, Gunnar. It will get worse before it gets better. Count on it.
+1
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+2744) 6 days ago
I am open for suggestions in regard to this: In 2018, Montana Magazine shut their doors one day. I had a 3 year subscription, so I received a nice letter saying that they would be sending me a refund. Several months went by so I wrote to the email address in the letter and a nice lady responded to tell me that they had sent it to me in Alabama? I explained to her that I would have no address in Alabama so she sent me a copy of the check made out in my name and sent to EBSCO with an Alabama address and it also showed that they cashed it. She said, "You will have to call EBSCO". I did and they said that they are a big Magazine outlet that caters to physicians only and they would be unable to help me.
I noticed that the Publisher was affiliated with the Billings Gazette and Lee Enterprises had made the error so I wrote them a nice letter with copies of what had been done. Three weeks ago and no reply. So...just thinking of my next step and really am open for ideas. It has now become the principle of the "thing"☺ Thanks in advance. (Old Gal Rant)!
+1
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+12600) 5 days ago
At least, Oddjob, you had an option of doing a paper PR. That doesn't exist in Oracle.

J.D. Edwards does sound a lot like Oracle's "iProcurement". A couple of pages of byzantine forms to fill out, with no drop down menus available unless you can type the first three letters of what you are searching for. It is amazing that all the goods and services I requisition are categorized as "Miscellaneous-Other".

Will, I use Windows 10 on a PC to use with iTunes. The internicene battle between Microsoft and Apple will never end.
Posted by Oddjob (+156) 3 days ago
J.D. Edwards is Oracle's bastard child. The three letter searches sound familiar. I believe that was one of the "labor-saving" devices programmed into JDE.

Yes, I had the paper option at the time with the operative term there being "had". I'm sure that by now, paper in any form has been outlawed from all business applications by accountants and their minions of coders from Oracle and SAP.