James Marley Swearngin Info
Posted by Steve Swearngin (+4) 14 years ago
I am looking for any info, and a tombstone photo, if someone could help of the stone of James Marley Swearngin. He was known as "red-headed Jim" in Benton County, Missouri. He had quite a temper, he was a barber in Lincoln Missouri, and before he left he got mad at a customer (a miner), and stuck a pair of sissors in his head. He was also a barber in Miles City. There is also a story that he shot a man. He was buried in the Miles City Cemetary after he died November 22, 1919. He corresponded with my G-Grandfather Noah Swearngin for a time after he left Missouri.

Steve Swearngin
[email protected]
Posted by Wilbur Cain (+150) 14 years ago
How do you know he is buried in the Miles City cemetery? You ask about his tombstone. Has anyone actually seen his tombstone? I personally have never heard of him.
Posted by Jeff Newby (+151) 14 years ago
Its probably been told through out the family that he was burried in Miles City. Cant blame a guy for trying to find family members.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 14 years ago
I'll try to look him up in the cemetery index today. If not, the Library has the index as well and you can call them have Kevin give it a look.
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+586) 14 years ago
Steve,
I took a quick look. I should have more time over the holiday to do a better job. Here's what I found so far-

Montana Death Index- MT Vital Statistics
James M. Swearingen
age 63
est birth 1856
death date 22 Nov 1919 Miles City
index# MC148

1900 census Missouri Henry Co Leesville
Swearngin, James M, born Oct 1856, age 43, married 16yrs born TN, father born TN, mother born TN Farmer
Sarah E, wife, born Nov 1869, age 30, married 16yrs, 3 of 4 children born are alive, she born Missouri, father Illinois, mother Illinois
Viola S daug Oct 1885
James P son Jan 1890
Maud L daug Aug 1893

1910 census haven't found them yet

1920 census MT Powder River Co
Swearngin Sarah E widow 52 MO, NC, SC
James P son 29 farm laborer MO, TN, MO
May N dauginlaw 28
Lydia M daug 17

1930 census WA Cowlitz Co Longview
Meek, Henry 53
Maud L 36
children
Swearngin, Sarah E 63 motherinlaw MO NC SC
Posted by K. D. (+362) 14 years ago
How do you know he is buried in the Miles City cemetery? You ask about his tombstone. Has anyone actually seen his tombstone? I personally have never heard of him.

Wibur, ease up on him. He is just asking a few questions. Since when do you have to "personally hear of him" for the guy to buried in MC? Wibur, I personally have never heard of you, therefore do you not exist?

[This message has been edited by K. D. (edited 11/20/2007).]
Posted by urcrackinmeup (+134) 14 years ago
Good job Cindy! How do you find all that?
Posted by Wilbur Cain (+150) 14 years ago
I was honestly just wondering if anyone had seen the tombstone as I am interested in old tombstones. I am personally very excited that the world is using these forums to search for ancestors and friends. I had not heard the name and was stating that as a fact to help. I live in Wy. now so haven't been to the cemetery for years. People were buried everywhere and anywhere in the old days, so that is why I asked about a tombstone. Well I sure do hope the info Cindy dug up is the right people. You should become a search agency Cindy.
supporter
Posted by K.Duffy (+1807) 14 years ago
I echo a thanks to Cindy! Your contributions are very interesting. Do you perhaps know the real story of the 2 graves inside the iron fence in the now Veteran's cemetery?
Posted by Cindy Stalcup (+586) 14 years ago
No, sorry I don't know. Now I'm curious to know the story though.
Cindy, Thanks so much for taking the time to do these look-ups. Information on the burial at the cemetary comes from death certificate info. I know quite a little bit about old James Marley, and have some photos of him at his homestead in Montana. I am amazed at all the postings in response to my query, so many comments, and discussion is unusual for most sites. My Dad used to hunt in the Miles City area for antelope when we lived at the Glasgow Air Force Base. Steve Swearngin [email protected]
Posted by Ben Hughes (+21) 14 years ago
Another resource is the Montana State Death Registry Index

http://www.rootsweb.com/~...ecords.htm
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9919) 14 years ago
Steve,

A small "town" has sprung up at the old Glasgow Air Force Base. It's called St. Marie (sometimes Saint Marie). I think there are around 180-200 people now live there in base housing that's been converted to condos.

If you are interested, you can google for "St. Marie Montana" and find out a bit about life at the base after the Air Force moved on.
Hal, yes, I've been on their site. I can remember a couple very good years spent there, but there is not a whole lot left today. Steve
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 14 years ago
I was out having Steve take pictures of James Pym's grave on Sunday and made a look for James Swearingin but was not successful. I'll try again when it is warmer and you don't have to brush snow off the flat headstones.

[This message has been edited by Amorette Allison (edited 12/10/2007).]
Posted by Steve Swearngin (+4) 13 years ago
That would be great! May not be much left of the tombstone by now. Thanks, Steve
Posted by Lynn Hasty (+6) 11 years ago
James Marley Swearngin was my great grandfather. He lived on the Powder River I believe, my computer crashed and I need to reenter my genealogy program, but then could tell you where he died but I believe that the death certificate says buried in Miles City MT. Lynn Byrum Hasty
Posted by Lynn Hasty (+6) 11 years ago
Cindy's info is correct. I believe that if anyone is interested I have them also on the 1910 Census. Lynn
Posted by Smiley (+847) 11 years ago
I used the website here to find my husband's mother's Death date. I am glad we can mark it now, thanks !
supporter
Posted by Levi Forman (+3712) 11 years ago
Lynn,

You might want to try sending Steve an email. This thread is from nearly 3 years ago so I doubt that he is still checking it.