Guidance Documents for Disabled Students Gutted
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+2902) 3 years ago
If you have a child with special needs, you probably want to know about the 70+ disability rights guidance documents that were recently been rescinded by Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos. This is the DeVos version of "Making America Great Again" which isn't so great if you are a student with disabilities -- or the parents of a student with disabilities.

"The Office of Special Education and Rehabilitative Services wrote in a newsletter Friday that it had 'a total of 72 guidance documents that have been rescinded due to being outdated, unnecessary, or ineffective – 63 from the Office of Special Education Programs (OSEP) and 9 from the Rehabilitation Services Administration (RSA).' The documents, which fleshed out students’ rights under the Individuals with Disabilities Education Act and the Rehabilitation Act, were rescinded Oct. 2."

I'm not sure that Ms. DeVos consulted students with special needs before deciding to rescind these guidance documents. I'm thinking probably not.

Read more at:

Secretary of Education, Betsy DeVos, Rescinds 72 Guidance Documents Outlining Rights for Disabled Students, Denver Post, October 22, 2017

http://www.denverpost.com...-students/

A list of the guidance documents that were rescinded can be accessed at:

https://www2.ed.gov/polic...171020.pdf
permalink   ·  vote tally
+1
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3170) 3 years ago
Thank you for posting this. I was anxious to see what all has been rescinded and will try to figure it out. I am concerned in that I just finished reading, "Democracy In Chains: The Deep History of the Radical Right's Stealth Plan for America: by Nancy MacLean." Not a lot of surprises but eye opening as to how much is coming to fruition. This action does fall right in line with the efforts that are being made to get rid of Public Education..replacing with Vouchers for Charter Schools to be combined with Parental funds.

I think if you read the book, you may be surprised with who the Radical Right happens to be. Overall, the desire to pay taxes only for the Military and Police is moving right along. Debt without a desire to fund programs that are needed for the public is really an excuse to dump the programs forever. When jobs are being mentioned, ie; Technology jobs, we need to ask for specifics. People need some funds to be able to utilize small businesses...and, honestly, that is not important to the Radicals. There is so much more. Please read and be informed.

Again, thank you Mary Catherine for your informative post.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+1
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3170) 3 years ago
I just read "Democracy In Chains", The Deep History of the Radical Right's Stealth Plan for America. Author, Nancy MacLean. If you read it, you will learn why they want to get rid of "all of it". It will help you to understand our State's Dilemma as well. "They" being the Billionaires who are dictating their idea of how our country should look, being carried out by some Republicans. Not all.

This will give you an idea of what is in the works...

https://www.snopes.com/bi...publicans/
Posted by Rob Shipley (+473) 3 years ago
Mary Catherine and Jeri, Yes, I believe you are both correct.
These sorts of issues, all over the USA, are left out in the cold all the time.
Precisely why I HATE, LOATHE and DESPISE government and the millions and millions and millions and millions of $$$$$$$$$$$$ wasted in presidential elections.

Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr...................... Rob Shipley