Trump budget eliminates Ft. Keogh
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14728) 3 years ago
http://www.milescitystar....gh-closure

Your vote matters tomorrow! "Ganggreenforte" will support Trump on this closure. I heard Gianforte on KGHL the other day talk about how excited he was to get elected and help push the Trump agenda.

-Do the right thing and vote Rob Quist.
-Vote to protect Ft. Keogh.
-The Fort is vital to the community and the Ag industry.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+8
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+2901) 3 years ago
The Trump Reality Show is starting to hit home now, isn't it. As I posted yesterday in the National Forum, in the "Be Afraid. Be Very Afraid" link, Miles City stands to lose quite a lot of government economic support in the near future. If the proposed Trump budget is passed by the House of Representatives as is, Miles City stands to lose its hospital, clinics, nursing homes, assisted living facilities, the Mental Health Center, DEAP and EMI -- because those facilities and agencies get a lot of Medicaid dollars. There will be a lot of jobs lost in Miles City. 38% of Montana's budget is from federal dollars. If that money gets cut by the Trump Administration, the citizens of this state will hurt like crazy.

The Republicans have been saying for years that they don't like "big government." However, that same "big government" has funded programs that provide a lot of jobs throughout rural America.

I sure hope all the Republicans in Miles City who voted for Trump are happy now that Trump has given the millionaires and billionaires even more tax cuts at the expense of the poor, disabled, elderly and sick.

Oh and by the way, if you like the way Trump is doing things, be sure to vote for Greg Gianforte tomorrow in the special election. Gianforte is a multi-millionaire from New Jersey who loves the Trump Agenda.

However, if you think Trump is ruining America, be sure to vote for Rob Quist -- who is not a millionaire, and will stand up to the Republicans in the House, and vote for the things we value here in Montana.

You can check out how much federal money comes to Montana at:

https://ballotpedia.org/M...d_finances
+3
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+2901) 3 years ago
Posted by ocne (+482) 3 years ago
From talking to folks in town, it sounds like there's bit of a misconception that this proposal was just for a budget reduction, or reduction in force, at Fort Keogh. That isn't really the case, folks. Fort Keogh is on the list for total elimination!

Fort Keogh has landed on the reduction list before, but my understanding is this is the first time its been on the zero-out list.

Am I wrong in thinking this is a potentially big deal? If you have friends that work at the Fort, enjoy hunting or recreating at the Fort, are involved in agriculture and at all value the range and livestock research, and education from that work, that is conducted there, please spread the word. Fort Keogh is a sizeable part of this community. It may not do any good, but shouldn't a person at least try to do something?
+5
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16669) 3 years ago
Reply to ocne (#372169)
ocne wrote:
............ It may not do any good, but shouldn't a person at least try to do something?

Sorry, ocne, but the voters of Custer County have spoken, by a wide margin, that they want Fort Keogh closed. A majority of 2,202 compared to 1,167 voted to shutter up Fort Keogh, to be precise.

http://mtelectionresults....09&map=CTY
Posted by The man from snowy plains (-242) 3 years ago
Oh my word. Ft.Keogh should be run as a profitable company. It has vast resources. No excuse for poor management.
+1
Posted by gunsngold (-2405) 3 years ago
Trump is the Swamp!

The only person who couldn't beat Trump in an election was Hillary. Hillary was the globalist choice to throw the election in favor of Donald Trump. I said this before the election. He is a good global corporatist. He, in many ways, is the most globally progressive man alive.
+1
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16506) 3 years ago
Reply to The man from snowy plains (#372173)
The Gianforte Range and Livestock Research Center has a nice ring to it and I'm sure the local ag producers wouldn't mind paying Greg a little profit (20% - 30%?) for good farming and ranching advice. It would be better than the raw deal Montanans are getting right now where they get $1.24 in federal spending for every $1 in federal taxes they pay.
+2
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1480) 3 years ago
Reply to The man from snowy plains (#372173)
The man from snowy plains wrote:
Oh my word. Ft.Keogh should be run as a profitable company. It has vast resources. No excuse for poor management.

It appears you do not comprehend the long-term goals at Fort Keogh and that research has been conducted on the station since the '30s. That or you are someone with an axe to grind.
+8
This post was removed 3 years ago.
It was removed because it was a duplicate.
Actually, I have used a lot of their research. As far as the A1 Herford, they have gone the the usefulness of the Texas Longhorns. 30 yrs of the same OPERATING model doesn't speak well of good tax dollars being wisely spent, 55,000 acres tax free should be not only self-reliant and profitable.
+1
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16669) 3 years ago
Reply to The man from snowy plains (#372182)
The man from snowy plains wrote:
Actually, I have used a lot of their research. As far as the A1 Herford, they have gone the the usefulness of the Texas Longhorns. 30 yrs of the same OPERATING model doesn't speak well of good tax dollars being wisely spent, 55,000 acres tax free should be not only self-reliant and profitable.

I rest my case.
+4
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11447) 3 years ago
How come people think government is supposed to make a profit? I thought the whole purpose of government was to provide services that private businesses wouldn't provide because those services don't make a profit. I suppose you could require everyone to pay huge fees for information that is discovered at Fort Keogh. So only rich ranchers would know the latest in nutrition research or grass studies. If you can't afford to pay for the knowledge, you would go broke. Lucky you. I know during the Reagan years they talked about privatizing NOAA so only rich folks would know the weather. What a bizarre concept. Only the rich get help. Poor folks get screwed.

Wait. That's the current GOP plan.
+6
supporter
Some food for thought is included in these links.

https://www.ars.usda.gov/...eldDay.pdf

https://www.ars.usda.gov/...iscipline/

Many more disciplines than genetics of 'A1 hereford' cattle have been researched at Fort Keogh, although the study of Line 1 herefords has been an important component of the research program.

How about it snow man, what data have you used?

Responses from livestock producers, scientists, and educators, as to how the research at Fort Keogh LARRL has been used to improve their operations and how the research finding have been used to design and interpret research studies in other locations, is what is needed to justify the continued existence of the Laboratory. I doubt that the administrators will be swayed by community needs, but I could be wrong.

Marshall Haferkamp (retired range scientist from Fort Keogh 1988-2006)
+9
supporter
Sorry, I see that I omitted land managers when listing those that are important users of data from Fort Keogh.
+1
Posted by redmondroughneck (+80) 3 years ago
It's about time to start cutting projects that are wasting tax payer dollars. If Fort Keogh is so important then privatize it and make a profit.

[Edited by redmondroughneck (5/28/2017 11:11:59 AM)]
founder
supporter
Posted by Earl Bennett (+931) 3 years ago
Reply to redmondroughneck (#372208)
Privatize it, and the rich buying the public lands begins...
+6
supporter
Reply to redmondroughneck (#372208)
redmondroughneck wrote:
It's about time to start cutting projects that are wasting tax payer dollars. If Fort Keogh is so important then privatize it and make a profit.

[Edited by redmondroughneck (5/28/2017 11:11:59 AM)]

Just curious, do you feel this way about all research activities across the country that receive Federal or State funding or have you just decided Fort Keogh needs to close?
+4
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11447) 3 years ago
Science and knowledge scare conservatives. They are all about ignorance. Bring back the Dark Ages and the feudal system and then they'll be happy.
+4