School Levy Election Today (05/02/17)
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+2900) 3 years ago
In case you missed the article in last night's Miles City Star there is an election today, Tuesday, May 2, 2017, to decide an operational tax levy for the Custer County Elementary School District.

Voting will be at the Custer County District High School gymnasium lobby from noon to 8 p.m.

According the the Miles City Star, "the levy would generate $195,412 for the school district and would be in effect for one year. It would increase property taxes on a home valued at $100,000 by $22.79 per year, while the taxes for a $200,000 home would increase by $45.58 per year. . . . .

School District Superintendent Keith Campbell explained in the article, "What it really comes down to is the community understanding the needs of the district. And those needs are in infrastructure. Unfortunately we've done everything we can. We've applied for grants. We've done everything we can do. We aren't even coming close to meeting the needs of our district."

More details can be found in the Miles City Star's article at:

http://milescitystar.com/...vy-tuesday
permalink   ·  vote tally
+3
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16446) 3 years ago
With all the hullabaloo over the cost of the special election to elect a replacement for Ryan Zinke, does anyone know why this school levy election couldn't have been held on May 25th when the special election is held? Seems like it could have saved some money.
+2
supporter
Posted by r martelle (+683) 3 years ago
By law, school elections for levies and trustees are the first Tuesday after the first Monday in May of each year. That is why the election is being held on May 2 this year.
+3
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16563) 3 years ago
Reply to r martelle (#371898)
r martelle wrote:
By law, school elections for levies and trustees are the first Tuesday after the first Monday in May of each year. That is why the election is being held on May 2 this year.

This is true (and the law). And the earliest the Congressional vote could be held, by law, is May 25, dating back to Zinke's official resignation.

I also think, though I am not sure, that school elections are monitored and verified through the Office of Public Instruction, whereas the Congressional seat election results are certified through the Secretary of State. Feel free to correct me. I am too lazy to Google, I am just relying on what George Kurkowski taught me in CCHS government class lo these many years ago.
+2
founder
Reply to Gunnar Emilsson (#371902)
Thanks. So the short answer is: "Because, bureaucracy."
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3132) 3 years ago
Results of the election...1,035 people voted. 549 voted AGAINST..and, 486 FOR.

The Legislature cut Education..the Federal Government just promised more funding to the "For Choice" Schools...but, are cutting Public School Funding.

I guess my question would be..."Who is in favor of education anymore"? There was a desperate need for the Elementary Schools. Maybe they can start a "Go Fund Me"??

A sad day in our town, IMO
+2
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16563) 3 years ago
I am sorry to hear that Jeri, but not surprised.

I am happy to report that here in Helena, voters passed our $63 million dollar bond that will build three new schools.
+2
founder
Reply to Jeri Dalbec (#371907)
It's all part of making America great again, Jeri. (cough, cough)
+2