Fire House - water supply?
Posted by ocne (+474) 3 years ago
Does anyone know the status of the public water spigot at the fire house? Its been unavailable for about two weeks, I assumed because it was froze up (?) - I know it had a pretty good leaky drip this summer. Now there's a notice that its unavailable until further notice.

I know one should probably not be reliant on it, but for folks who do have to rely on that spigot as a source to get water to haul for livestock, etc., this is a huge inconvenience. Beings that its a service that is paid for by those who use it, was hoping it would be up and running again soon.

Does anyone have any information on this?

...or maybe know where someone could haul some water from in the meantime?

Thanks!
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2577) 3 years ago
If I was you I would try and ask someone at the fire haul. Good place to start
+2
Have tried that and don't seem to find anyone there, or at least not someone that knows anything.
Posted by MCFRmedic (+125) 3 years ago
The water tower froze up during a cold spell, then somebody "unknown who", damaged the tower further. Currently it is out of service. We can fill water trucks from a hose, and have been doing so since the damage. The Fire Department is currently over budget in maintenance, due to having to repair a expensive pump on a fire truck recently. So we are evaluating the maintenance budget with the finance committee. When we know what we can repair we will. Until that time it's by hose only.

Sorry for your inconvenience.
+1
Thank you for the response. Hopefully there will be funds available at some point to make the necessary repairs!

If a member of the public needs water, is the hose you mentioned available? And if so, how do they go about doing that? (Same as the practice was with the spigot or...? How about the record keeping for billing purposes of the hose water...?)

Thank you! Happy New Year!
One other thing - those who get water from the fire house are billed quarterly for it. Where does those funds go? Can they be used to make the necessary repairs?

Just curious.

Thanks again!
Posted by MCFRmedic (+125) 3 years ago
Thank you for your question. The funds that are billed out for the water go to the City of Miles City. They do not go to the Fire Department. We have currently taken several apparatus out of service due to maintenance issues and limits on that portion of the budget. This (water tower)is an area that will have to suffer because of that.
I understand the frustration with the water tower, however I will again state the we can fill from a hose. I know it is not very convenient. Thank you for your understanding.