1969 attempt to kill the Electoral College
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9778) 4 years ago
It’s hard to imagine gaining a two-thirds majority in the House and Senate and ratification by three-fourths of the states. I’ve personally felt since I was a kid that the EC needs to be done away with. I don’t see any reason why I can’t cast my vote for the candidate of my choice rather than for some electoral delegate. But the issue is so caught up in partisan politics and tradition, that I doubt it will ever change. And I suppose amendments to the Constitution should be few and far between.

“In 1969, Democrats and Republicans united to get rid of the Electoral College”
--Kurtis Lee
LOS ANGELES TIMES
December 19, 2016
http://www.latimes.com/na...story.html
+4
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1911) 4 years ago
It should have gone in 1876 after the Hayes/Tilden fiasco.
+6
Posted by Oddjob (+188) 4 years ago
So, let me see if I understand.....

You like.....Richard Nixon's opinion that this is a good idea.....?

How mind-numbingly stupid do you have to be to not see the inevitable evil of a pure democracy?

If you need a non-third World example of this, consider the fact that we are saddled with virtual permanent aristocracy of Senators since the adoption of the 17th Amendment..

That's working well, isn't it??
+1
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9023) 4 years ago
They must make this 17th Amendment Kool-aid with extra sugar, particularly if it suckers a proud student of Montana History such as oddy.

Sad.
+3
Posted by Oddjob (+188) 4 years ago
Oh, I'm well aware of Montana History, Bridgier. But unlike you, I am cognizant of the fact that knee-jerk reactions have unintended consequences.

Prior to the 17th Amendment, if you had enough money, you could buy a seat in the Senate. After passage of the 17th Amendment, if you have enough money, you can buy a seat in the Senate.

The difference is; prior to passage of the 17th Amendment, buying a seat in the Senate was a crime.
+1
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14818) 4 years ago
If grass and trees could vote, and thanks to the electoral college they do, and they understood the hell about to be unleashed, they wouldn't have voted for Tsar Trump.