What's everyone reading?
Posted by gypsykim (+1557) 5 years ago
Looks like we're going to have some prime reading weather coming up this weekend. What are you reading or what do you recommend?

I'm reading "The 100-Year-Old Man Who Climbed Out the Window and Disappeared". Very wry humor. Takes place all over the world. Goes back and forth from present day to his past life. Great historical references.

Up next: The Lake House because a friend gave it to me.
+1
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9958) 5 years ago
I’m currently working on these two.

Josiah Gregg. COMMERCE OF THE PRAIRIES: THE JOURNAL OF A SANTA FE´ TRADER, DURING EIGHT EXPEDITIONS ACROSS THE GREAT WESTERN PRAIRIES (1845 / reprint).

Jared Diamond. COLLAPSE: HOW SOCIETIES CHOOSE TO FAIL OR SUCCEED (Revised: 2011).

I recently finished this. It’s one of the more interesting things I’ve read in the past year and certainly topical.

Nancy Isenberg. WHITE TRASH : THE 400-YEAR UNTOLD HISTORY OF CLASS IN AMERICA (2016).

I’m a Sandford fan, so I read this as soon as it was released for Kindle last fall.
John Sandford. ESCAPE CLAUSE.
+1
Sandford is usually too much for me but I'll add the rest to my list.

I just finished Quiet by Cain. If you have any interest in extroversion versus introversion, this is a good read.
+1
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17466) 5 years ago
I just finished Ivan Doig's last novel on the plane back from Denver last Friday, Last Bus to Wisdom. Very entertaining.

Next in the que is a Jo Nesbø novel. I am a fan of Scandinavian crime fiction.
+3
I've yet to read that Doig. Added to the list. You might like The 100-Year-Old Man...Gunnar. It's Scandinavian with a light crime element.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17466) 5 years ago
I will look for it, GK. Hopefully my local book store will have it.
+1
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2052) 5 years ago
Born to Run
by Bruce Springsteen
+2
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14967) 5 years ago
The Subtle Art of Not Giving a F**k by Mark Manson. Best self-improvement book I've ever read.
+1
Posted by Sam Colt (-136) 5 years ago
Just finished a great read, Jim Bridger Mountain Man a biography by Stanley Vestal original copyright 1946.

It’s a true story of a time when men were men, bison were buffalo, natives were Ingins and no one fussed about trivial matters like killing and scalping enemies.
+1
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9199) 5 years ago
I've got the Diamond book sitting on the pile of 'To Read', so maybe I'll move it up in the queue.

I'm reading "A Man Called Ove".
+2
I loved "A Man Called Ove" and his second book, "My Grandmother Told Me to Tell You She's Sorry". Patiently waiting for his third book, "Britt Marie Was Here" to come out in paperback.
+1
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1228) 5 years ago
Ivan Doig was mentioned a few posts up. Because of vision problems I no longer read, but believe "Bucking The Sun" is still the best of his novels.
+1
That was a great book, Ike. Do you listen to books on tape?