Cowboy with Boy Riding Goat
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9347) 3 years ago
Title: Cowboy with boy riding goat
Description: Vintage negative number : (no number)
Summary: View of a Miles City, Montana parade and spectators. A cowboy stands next to an African American boy riding a goat.
Creator: Huffman, L. A. (Laton Alton), 1854-1931.
Subject (LCSH): Parades--Montana--Miles City.; Children--Montana.; African Americans--Montana.; Goats--Montana.; Miles City (Mont.)
Contributing Institution: Montana Historical Society Research Center
http://mtmemory.org/cdm/s...l3/id/3521

+4
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14440) 3 years ago
That goat bears a striking resemblance to another Miles Citian whose photo made the paper about a year ago.
+6
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13757) 3 years ago
Dave, I find that to be a very anti-semantic remark.
+4
founder
supporter
sponsor
I was hoping someone could identify the automobiles. I’m thinking some are Model Ts, but even if I’m guessing right, that just narrows the time frame down to ca. 1908 – 1927. Though given the number of cars, I suspect the photo was taken post-WWI.
+1
founder
I'm struggling to identify any of the buildings in the photo.
+1
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+2662) 3 years ago
That cowboy looks like a descendant of Chris Christie.
+3
founder
Looking at it some more, possibly this is looking north on 5th Street (Park Street) from just south of the intersection with Main St. The building on the right just beyond the horse pulling the stagecoach is the Olive Hotel (the side that faces N. 5th Street). The building on the left is the building that still stands at the northwest corner of 5th and Main. The cars on the left are parked where Riverside Park is. What do you think?
+2
founder
Reply to Bob Netherton III (#369490)
Bob Netherton III wrote:
That cowboy looks like a descendant of Chris Christie.

Descendant?
+3
founder
supporter
sponsor
David,
You could be (probably are) right about the location. If we had a higher resolution scan, that would help*. I’m not able to make out any of the signage. But I do think you’re right about the Olive.

*It seems that Gunnar could trot over the MHS archives, get a good copy, and scan it in for us, right?
+4
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+2662) 3 years ago
OK, David. Wrong word. But two down votes? I didn't think Christie had so many fans this far west.
+1
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13757) 3 years ago
Reply to Hal Neumann (#369493)
Hal Neumann wrote:
David,

*It seems that Gunnar could trot over the MHS archives, get a good copy, and scan it in for us, right?

I have interns do that sort of work for me.
+1
founder
The building on the left has signs above the windows. Each sign says, I believe, "MILES & ULMER CO." at the top and below that it says something about what they offer for sale. One of them reads: BUGGIES
+1
founder
supporter
sponsor
I think David has correctly identified the location where the photo was taken.

The corner of 5th and Main, July 1916.

[Edited by Hal Neumann (12/3/2016 5:53:52 PM)]
+1
founder
It's an interesting photo. I would be curious to know the story of the 3 main subjects. The guy on the horse, dressed fancy with a tie and smoking a cigar, looks like the boss. He's got a lever action rifle across the saddle pointed pretty much at the "cowboy's" head. The "cowboy" -- the portly fellow in the white hat -- has his right hand clenched in a fist like he's ready to clock someone. The boy on the goat is holding the goat's horn like he's all too familiar with getting jabbed by it.

The "cowboy" looks a little like he might be one of Bobby Kenny's ancestors.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Yes, the photo raises interesting questions.

Who are the people in the photo? Are they locals? Visitors from ?? Was there a carnival in town for the celebration? Were the subjects of the photo there together or did Huffman roundup three interesting looking characters and pose them together? What occasion / event was being marked by the parade?
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1229) 3 years ago
I would guess it's a Stock Growers convention annual meeting parade. The only one that for sure is a local is the one on the horse. Maybe they all are. The youngster on the far right might be sister of the one holding the goat. Looks like the fat guy has a rope in his hand. Interesting subject that would seem to be just as he came along and saw it rather than posed. Wonder if the Historical society has more photos of that parade?
founder
supporter
sponsor
>>Wonder if the Historical society has more photos of that parade?

I'd guess they do. But I don't they are available online. It's possible they'd also have a photo log that would provide more info on this picture.
supporter
Posted by Ken Minow (+379) 3 years ago
Hal - If you look at the car that's behind the guy's white hat it appears to be a 5 window Model A Ford,which would date the picture 1928 or later.
founder
Here's a zoomed and cropped portion of the photo to better show the car behind the cowboy.

L.A. Huffman / Boy Riding Goat
+1
founder
supporter
sponsor
Thanks Ken.

Huffman passed away in 1931 at the age of 77. So 1928 (+) certainly places the photo towards the close of long career of photography.
+1