supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13074) 2 years ago
Yes, it is approaching soon.

This year I am going to try to deep fry a turkey. I have never done it before, never even have had it. I never wanted to deal with the mess. But, this year, my wife bought one of those newfangled electric fryers from QVC:

Anyone got any tips? To brine, or not to brine? It came with one of those injector thingies - injector recipes?
+3
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9226) 2 years ago
Save the fryer for fries. Brine it first and spatchcock that bird.
+5
Posted by Oddjob (+181) 2 years ago
Real men cook with turkey fryers on their decks, inviting the local fire department to share in the repast.
+4
founder
Posted by David Schott (+13637) 2 years ago
Gunnar, did Karen get a new "appliance garage" to store that thing in the other 364 days of the year?
+3
supporter
Ha, no, we have a big house and a whole basement pantry area devoted to storing seldom used appliances. Remember, you are talking to a home brewer, who has vast quantities of brewing equipment sitting around.

Real men own a lot of toys.
+1
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2423) 2 years ago
Just from the looks of it that fryer doesn't look big enough to cook a turkey?
+3
supporter
According to the instructions, it can fry turkeys up to 22 lbs. I have a 17 lb. one from the local Hutterite colony.
+1
founder
Take a picture of that beast next to a common object so we have a sense of scale.
+3
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+2377) 2 years ago
Gunnar. I bet Butterball has a website with tips and recipes.
+1
founder
This guy is a little nutty. He's cooking a 7-pound (?) turkey. I didn't even know turkeys came that small.

This guy is cooking a 20-pounder:

+3
supporter
I ended up doing this apple and tea brine:

http://www.food.com/recip...rkey-95296

Just pulled the turkey out of the brine after 16 hours in it. Patted it dry, and it is now sitting in a roaster pan in the garage, to dry out. Good thing the current temperature is 38°F.
+1
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1914) 2 years ago
SO, how did it turn out? We used to deep fry turkeys OUTSIDE but it got too cold. We should have done it this year, it was so warm.
+4
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+2377) 2 years ago
I'm hoping for a picture.
+3
supporter
Turkey came out terrific. I can honestly say that the flesh wasn't any better than a roasted bird, but the skin sure was.

Best part was that I dropped it in the oil at 375°F, then set the timer for 68 minutes. When the timer went off, perfectly cooked turkey.

I forgot to take pictures, but I did take a picture of my pre-turkey appetizer that I had for lunch. A friend of mine goes to Willapa Bay and bring backs fresh oysters and sells them in front of the Blackfoot River taproom the Tuesday before Thanksgiving. I lend him my cooler, so I get quite the discount.

https://lh3.googleusercon...131744.jpg

Enjoying a half dozen fresh oysters with a little Tabasco, horseradish and lemon....washed down with a fine Czech pilsner.....and watching the Vikings choke.....doesn't get much better than that.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9628) 2 years ago
The skin is delicious and the bird is juicy when deep-fried but I'm not sure it is worth the hassle with the traditional method.