"Gate Night" stories
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9846) 3 years ago
Anybody have any 'gate night' stories from their childhood or that of their parents or grandparents. I remember being told about hundreds of gates ending up in Mobridge back in the day but nothing verifiable. I just thought a few anecdotes would go with an amusing cartoon I found in the 1928 Star.
+1
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14145) 3 years ago
Before my time. Must have been something the Harmony Hangout crowd did.
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+2662) 3 years ago
I can remember car windows being soaped (not by me) but I can't think of too much else happening on "Gate Night" back in the day.
+1
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1229) 3 years ago
Gate night was a prelude to Halloween night. Often times GN was full of more mischief than Halloween. In the day there were many outhouse out back and lots of fun was had with them. I remember a milk cow that wound up in the high school library.
+1
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14444) 3 years ago
I think "gate night" should be about pranks but it devolved into vandalism. One example of a prank would be to move a real estate "for sale" sign from in front of the house that's for sale to in front of a house that is not for sale. Not that I ever did that.
+2
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9846) 3 years ago
I tend to write my history columns based on items in the newspaper and I have gotten heck for going with 'legend' but when it comes to ghost stories or gate night, legends are all I've got and I'm not having much luck with those. I have heard the cow in the principal's office story before but never confirmed it. I did confirm the robber being killed just outside the principal's office so who knows.
+1