Posted by UM Griz (+167) 5 years ago
There is a lot of talk about the three-ring circus that is the national election, but not much about the local candidates. Our state legislature will likely impact your life more than Trump or Hilary will, and we have some interesting folks running this year. In Miles City, we will be voting for someone to represent House District 38. We have a choice between a locksmith incumbent or the challenging farmer.

Ken Holmlund was elected by narrow margins in 2014. You can see the bills Ken was associated with here: http://leg.mt.gov/css/Ses...WSID=16505 Seems as though he was primarily concerned with locksmithing and gambling laws.

Ken's opponent, Steve Muggli, is seeking his first term in the state legislature. Steve has picked up a few endorsements, which can be found on his Facebook page. https://www.facebook.com/...i/?fref=ts

Steve has knocked on my door a few times now and, after talking with him, he definitely has my vote. I really respect his experience as an employer and business owner. I mean, who better to represent Eastern Montana than a farmer? I do not think Ken has made an effort to talk to me at the door, but I have seen his ads in the Star and heard his ad on the radio and I was not impressed. He is really talking up his experience as a legislator, but he only has one term under his belt, and from what I can tell he did not show any leadership in Helena.

Any thoughts on this race?
+12
Posted by gypsykim (+1556) 5 years ago
Steve has my vote as well. I've known him and his family for twenty five years and he is a man of great integrity. I respect him. I trust his ability to make the best decisions for eastern Montana. Vote Steve Muggli!!
+8
Posted by Janet K. Klein (+81) 5 years ago
I, too, will be voting for Steve. He is a hard worker and will do what he can for Miles City for his voting district. Let's give him a chance!
+10
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+2896) 5 years ago
Having served on the ROCKS Board of Directors for 4 years (2009-2013) with Ken Holmlund, I have to say that I was extremely disappointed with Holmlund's voting record in the last session of the House.

Ken Holmlund has told me that he is a conservative who believes that churches, individuals and businesses can, and should, do what the state government does. I disagree. Individuals, churches and businesses can only do so much. They can't fund the building of roads, repair bridges, etc.

Even the lunch which ROCKS feeds the children every summer is funded by the Department of Agriculture through the Office of Public Instruction in Helena. The labor in preparing the summer lunches is provided by the First Baptist Church. (I know because I was one of the the volunteer dishwasher for 6 years.) I also know the First Baptist church itself could not fund the cost of the lunches without help from the state government.

I am voting for Steve Muggli for HD 38, and I urge you to do so also.
+8
Posted by MCMT59301 (+179) 5 years ago
I am going to vote for Steve...I have known him for quite some time now and I trust him to vote for his constituents in MILES CITY, and not fall prey to party politics. Ken voted with his party and did so to the detriment of Miles City with the vote against the infrastructure bill and for his non-support of the Quality Schools Grant program where Miles City was #1 on the list to receive funds. I expect that a politician represent his constituents and putting his party before Miles City is unforgivable.
+10