founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9958) 5 years ago
Any Preppers moving into the Miles area?

“A fortress against fear”
--Kevin Sullivan, The Washington Post
AND
August 28, 2016
http://www.adn.com/nation...inst-fear/

“. . . .the vanguard moving to an area of the Pacific Northwest known as the American Redoubt, a term coined in 2011 by survivalist author and blogger James Wesley, Rawles (the comma is deliberate) to describe a settlement of the God-fearing in a lightly populated territory that includes Idaho, Montana, Wyoming, and the eastern parts of Washington and Oregon.”
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17462) 5 years ago
I think most of those whacks are concentrated in the Bitterroot valley, with scattered appearances near Superior.
founder
supporter
sponsor
If we can avoid discussing politics and ideology, I enjoy talking with folks who are gearing up for the big crash. Well maybe not so much the ones who throw money at it – more the ones who are applying ingenuity and thought into setting themselves up.

Subsistence without relying much on the Outside is a major goal to set for oneself.

I’m amazed at the skill sets some of these folks have acquired and admire them for it.
+4
Posted by rhshilling (+90) 5 years ago
Hal,
I am not into the whole prepper thing, but I can see how the idea is something that many people have and will flock to.
I like post-apocalyptic sci-fi novels and movies like The Postman, the Road, The Book of Eli, ect. I have also read one of Rawles novels, but can't remember the title. When we were living in Knoxville, TN, I was walking through a grocery store and there was a novel in their small selection of reading material called "One Second After" by William R. Forstchen. It was on sale and I read the back cover and HAD to buy it. This novel opened my eyes. The premise of the story is an EMP attack by terrorists and the ensuing problems that creates due to the fact that nothing electronic built after 1960 will work due to the EMP. Things we take for granted such as refrigeration, medicines, travel, health and sanitation; are all gone. It brings up the topic of the trust of "outsiders" which any town with an interstate highway running through it (such as Miles City) will have. The topic of certain skill sets that would be valued in such a situation is breached. Blacksmithing, mechanics, security, hunting and gathering.
Reading this novel made me think about how growing your own garden and canning has become a skill many no longer utilize. Canned goods will survive longer than thawed out food in a Foodsaver bag! Blacksmithing a skill needed in the town in the nove and they had to depend on a Civil War reenactor because no one else practised that art anymore. Even something like tanning hides would be a skill needed because sooner or later your clothes will wear out.
Some times I worry when I see Hayden, ID mentioned as a destination for many of these prepper-types. IIRC, Hayden was the seat of the Aryan Nations for many years. Makes you wonder if many of the so-called preppers are just the new wave of racists.
+1
founder
supporter
sponsor
From what I see and read, Preppers cover a broad range of political & ideological backgrounds. It seems there has always been people who done this. Preparing for the Big One during the Cold War. Hippie types going back to Nature in the 60s-70s – New Age types later on. Heck, probably half the people who settled the American frontier just wanted to live on their own and not be dependent upon the “system.” Now we have Preppers and they have varied motives. Some are what I’d think of as extremists – some are genuinely worried about the Collapse, some are just people who don’t want to be connected to the various grids.

Interesting folks in any event.
Posted by rhshilling (+90) 5 years ago
I was just thinking about the idea of what a prepper is. You nailed it in your reply. I think there are many "catagories" of people who could be preppers. Yes, there are those who focus on the military / militia aspect of it, but there are also many others. Pioneers and those who want to live on their own hook could be considered a sort of prepper. The "off grid" movement people could be preppers. I think the modern tiny house movement / fad has sprouted out of the off gridder movement. Homesteaders are preppers. They have to be by necessity. Even the survivalists of years past are preppers.
I spent years as a living history / colonial reenactment enthusiast. Many of the things that you learn in reading and studying the way things were done in the colonial times are easily adapted to the prepping concept.
Besides the show "Preppers" that was on tv, look at all the other shows that focus on people living on their own hook. Mountain Men, Live Free or Die, most of the Alaska shows, and the survivalist programs are all providing infotainment to the prepper or the want-to-be prepper.

There are a few local young men here in Miles City that like to go out and practice the militia aspects.
+1
banned
Posted by ZZZzz (-552) 5 years ago
All of that is just old hat.Sooo yesterday.The greatest worry now is the coming Zombie Apocalypse.This new and real threat involves an entirely new set of circumstances that will have to be dealt with and few will be prepared.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6166) 5 years ago
I will do my part for the Zombie Apocalypse by becoming a zombie and so won't have to worry. Reading "The Road" changed my perspective on survival.
+3
Posted by busyB (+626) 5 years ago
+3