630 inches of rain (over 50 ft.) in 4 days
Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+2901) 4 years ago
"Just how much rain fell across southern Louisiana late last week and over the weekend?

The rainfall tally that shattered records and pushed rivers to their limits across parts of southern Louisiana and Mississippi topped 630 inches, or over 50 feet, during the four-day stretch of bad weather from Wednesday through Saturday, according to weather service data from 57 areas that reported at least 4 inches and adding their sums together."

http://www.usatoday.com/s.../88759214/

“This is exactly what scientists have been predicting,” said the climate activist Bill McKibben. “The basic physics are simple: Warm air holds more water vapor, something that is turning out to be one of the most important facts of the 21st century.”

http://www.nytimes.com/20....html?_r=0

If you have any questions, check out Al Gore's climate change talk below:

http://www.ted.com/talks/...anguage=en
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16627) 4 years ago
You probably had Oddjob nodding his head in agreement, until your last sentence when you threw down the Al Gore card.
+4
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2615) 4 years ago
All the extra moisture in the air due to climate change has to go somewhere. We know Miles City hasn't received any of it.
+1
Posted by clj123 (+68) 4 years ago
How about try 11 inches. Really?
+4
supporter
Reply to Kelly (#368131)
Kelly wrote:
All the extra moisture in the air due to climate change has to go somewhere. We know Miles City hasn't received any of it.

Yes, Miles City has not received any of it, as I just drove through town on Monday and back through today. Here is the weird thing I noticed: I continued through and stayed at Bowman Tuesday night. About 20-30 miles outside of Baker, before Plevna, the dryness changes into green. By the time I got to Bowman, I was amazed at how much greener North Dakota was, compared to Miles City.

Obviously, this means we all need to vote for Gianforte, instead of Bullock, as Greg has a closer relationship with the Almighty. Greg Gianforte would make a couple of prayerscalls and Montana's rain would fall on Montana, not the Dakotas.
+1
Posted by Oddjob (+187) 4 years ago
Actually I'm laughing my ass off over how dishonest this article is and how stupid you would have to be to not pick up on it. This is almost as fictional as Mann's hockey stick.

My question is where in the hell is Obama? Where in the hell is FEMA? Where is the Democrat outrage that these poor miserable souls are beset by another worst calamity in the history of the planet?

Apparently not enough flooding in the 9th Ward to drag his ass off the golf course?

[Edited by Oddjob (8/17/2016 8:07:08 PM)]

[Edited by Oddjob (8/17/2016 8:24:23 PM)]
+4
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2615) 4 years ago
+2
Statement on climate change from 18 scientific associations

"Observations throughout the world make it clear that climate change is occurring, and rigorous scientific research demonstrates that the greenhouse gases emitted by human activities are the primary driver." (2009)

The above quote is from the NASA website on climate change:

http://climate.nasa.gov/s...consensus/

If you connect on the Effects link on the same website you will find this quote:

"Droughts in the Southwest and heat waves (periods of abnormally hot weather lasting days to weeks) everywhere are projected to become more intense, and cold waves less intense everywhere.

Summer temperatures are projected to continue rising, and a reduction of soil moisture, which exacerbates heat waves, is projected for much of the western and central U.S. in summer. By the end of this century, what have been once-in-20-year extreme heat days (one-day events) are projected to occur every two or three years over most of the nation."

In other words, it's hot and it's going to get hotter. Finally, we did get a little rain last night in Miles City.

+2
founder
Posted by David Schott (+16491) 4 years ago
+2
You may want to check out all that President Obama, through his administration's Climate Action Plan, has done to lessen human caused climate change. As usual, President Obama has been severely (and unfairly) criticized by climate change deniers for his work to mitigate climate change.

https://www.whitehouse.go...ate-change

https://www.whitehouse.go...ner-trucks

Of course, many Republicans do not believe in human caused climate change, but I'm thinking after each extreme weather event there may be a few more believers -- or perhaps more people who are willing to listen to what the Nobel Prize winning climate scientists have been trying to warn us about for many years now.

http://www.huffingtonpost...bf3ded5ca5

http://www.cbsnews.com/ne...te-change/

By the way, President Obama is going to Louisiana on Tuesday.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8970) 4 years ago
Do you think oddy knows that the governor of Louisiana has asked the president to wait until next week before visiting, so as not to be a distraction to ongoing rescue operations? I bet he does, but doesn't care, because there's a chicken to be procreateed, and oddy's just the man to do it...
+8
Reply to Bridgier (#368175)
Bridgier wrote:
Do you think oddy knows that the governor of Louisiana has asked the president to wait until next week before visiting, so as not to be a distraction to ongoing rescue operations? I bet he does, but doesn't care, because there's a chicken to be procreateed, and oddy's just the man to do it...

Yeah, Bridgier. I heard it. Political posturing at it's finest and just what you would expect for damage control from one of the brethren.

Obama had to do something after Trump delivered a classic (and well deserved) "slime and shame" action to Mr. Legacy. I would love to see the video of the hissy fit that preceded the call to Gov. Bel Edwards, or "the chicken" as he would be know as, in your scenario.

Oh, and if you remember, Bush tried the old "distraction" excuse and you guys came even more uncorked. His Majesty doesn't get away with it here, either.

[Edited by Oddjob (8/21/2016 8:11:19 AM)]
+2
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14673) 4 years ago
Ya know, the fact people can take "sides" and posture politically in the face of this magnitude of a disaster, is just wrong. The only reason hatchets and axes should be out is to chop down trees and help our fellow citizens rebuild. Helping one another is how America became great in the first place.
+6
supporter
Reply to Oddjob (#368182)
Oddjob wrote:
blah blah blah.

Oh, and if you remember, Bush tried the old "distraction" excuse and you guys came even more uncorked. His Majesty doesn't get away with it here, either.

One of the nice things about Larry's site is you can use the search function and see if Oddball is right. A search for Katrina on mc.com indicates no one here was critical of Bush during the Katrina response. Although, it does come up with my favorite joke of ten years ago:

Q. What does George W. Bush think of Roe vs. Wade?

A. He really doesn't care how those people get out of New Orleans.

Joking aside, the real question here is why the Oddster is demanding a federal government response, yet again. I thought his ilk was all about state's rights and the lot. Send in FEMA, and the federal deficit clock starts ticking even faster. Armeggedon and the Chinese takeover, here we come.

Hypocrite.
+5
supporter
the issue wasn't bush not showing up for a week (and when he did, it was a complete distraction, because it WAS a photo op), it was because he'd put a complete incompetent in charge of FEMA, and they pissed around for the week before the hurricane hit land. I realize that nuance is completely incompatible with your ancient lizard brain, but you could TRY it once in a while...
+4
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9741) 4 years ago
FEMA should not be involved with the management of national emergencies. The agency should stay focused on its multifold mission of constructing UN internment camps, catering to the demands of the Lizard Overlords, and covertly equipping aircraft with ChemTrail dispersal units. Write your Congressperson and demand they keep FEMA focused on its mission.
+6
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+2778) 4 years ago
Hal. I'm pretty sure the first three of the four "thumbs up" you recieved for this post are from gunsngold, oddjob and zero because they took your post completely literally.
+3
Reply to Gunnar Emilsson (#368189)
Gunnar Emilsson wrote:
Oddjob wrote:
blah blah blah.

One of the nice things about Larry's site is you can use the search function and see if Oddball is right. A search for Katrina on mc.com indicates no one here was critical of Bush during the Katrina response. Although, it does come up with my favorite joke of ten years ago:

Q. What does George W. Bush think of Roe vs. Wade?

A. He really doesn't care how those people get out of New Orleans.

Joking aside, the real question here is why the Oddster is demanding a federal government response, yet again. I thought his ilk was all about state's rights and the lot. Send in FEMA, and the federal deficit clock starts ticking even faster. Armeggedon and the Chinese takeover, here we come.

Hypocrite.

You are right Gunnar. Larry's search function works very well. In fact, perhaps you should have spent more time with it. Your statement "A search for Katrina on mc.com indicates no one here was critical of Bush during the Katrina response." is extremely misleading at best a steaming pile of BS.

Search for a few terms like "FEMA and Bush", "Bush and New Orleans", and my personal favorite "the Shrub" to see all the wonderful things that were said about the Administration and to anybody who defended "the Shrub". Bush bashing has been a favorite pastime here for 16 years.

As for my "demanding" federal government response, the really fun part about posting here, is watching how Leftists heads explode when their tactics are turned against them. I believe Saul Alinsky spent a lot of time teaching Leftists how to use ridicule. He should have spent a little more time teaching them how to recognize it.
+2
supporter
And again, if you'd actually read any of those threads, the underlying issue was the MASSIVE INCOMPETENCE on the part of the Shrub's administration.
+2
founder
Some great stuff right here:

http://milescity.com/foru...5055#15100
+2
Yes.....

Massive incompetence.......

+3
supporter
I'm glad to see those 'Computer Skills For Senior Citizens' classes are paying off Oddy. I'm sure your kids are happy not to have to show you how to get all your Andrews Sisters into iTunes anymore.

Progress!
+3
founder
Donald Trump didn't miss the opportunity to go down to Louisiana to hand out food to the displaced. Which is exactly what he would have done even if he wasn't running for president. Then again he might've been using those poor people as campaign props.
+1
supporter
I guess play-doh is edible...
+1