supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+12833) 2 years ago
After much trial and error, I believe I have hit upon the perfect fish taco recipe for a quick summer dinner. Perfect for weeknights after work.

Ingredients:

fish fillets (I have been using Pacific rockfish I bought at Costco for $5.99 a pound. I divided it up into 2-3 fillets and vacuum sealed and froze them. You can use any firm-fleshed fish)
1 lime
canola oil
chile powder (anything that's available, blackened fish seasoning, ancho ppowder, whatever)
sour cream
mayonnaise (you can substitute yogurt if you don't like mayo, but please, no Miracle whip)
Srirach sauce
cilantro
shredded cabbage (for sake of ease, I just buy the prepackaged cole slaw mix)
scallions
tortillas

1. Marinate the fish. Place the fillets in a pie pan, squeeze half a lime over them. add a little canola oil to the fish. Sprinkle chili powder on them. Flip frequently for at least a half hour, up to an hour.

2. Make the sauce. Mix about 1/3 to 1/2 cup each of mayonnaise and sour cream with the juice of the other half of the lime, a couple of tablespoons of chopped cilantro, and a tablespoon or so (more is better )of Sriracha sauce.

3. Start the grill. Get it hot, cooking will be quick.

4. Trim some scallions and brush with olive oil. Throw the scallions and the fih fillets on the hot grill. Cook for about three minutes each side. Take off the grill, cover with aluminum foil to keep warm. Heat the tortillas on the grill.

5. Assemble the tacos. Break the grilled fish fillets into chunks, and place into tortillas. Chop the grilled scallions, and put on the fish. Add some chopped cabbage. Spoon on some of the sauce. Wrap and serve.

That's it. You can also add additional items as you like, such as a spoonful of salsa, hot sauce, chopped avocado or guacamole, but that's really not necessary. The basic recipe is good enough on its own.
+6