Miles City Baseball
Posted by BAK (+22) 5 years ago
Does anyone know if the Mav's and the Outlaws have ever played?
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 5 years ago
Two different leagues so, no.
+3
Posted by jah (+142) 5 years ago
This post was removed 5 years ago.
It was removed because it was a duplicate.
Posted by jah (+142) 5 years ago
Miles City could have one heck of a team if the two leagues would put their differences about bats aside
+3
I just think it would make for a pretty cool game, Denton would be packed.
+1
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17069) 5 years ago
The Mavs would absolutely crush the Outlaws. The Outlaws would go home crying like little girls. Ha ha, hey Mike E.!

Speaking of baseball, Bobby Dalbec and the University of Arizona Wildcats take on Coastal Carolina tonight in game 2 of a 3-game series for the College World Series Championship. The Wildcats won last night 3 - 0, so if they win tonight they will be the national champions. You can watch the game at 6:00pm MDT on ESPN. Good luck to the Wildcats!
+3
Posted by Mike Etchemendy (+81) 5 years ago
Dave, you trying to get me in trouble? I’ve been a good boy so far.
+4
supporter
Posted by MilesCityFan (+136) 5 years ago
jah,

Isn't about bats and never was! That's the first thing that needs to be said. Secondly, Outlaws have tried numerous times to play the Mavericks but they will not oblige. Mavericks have even withdrawn from tournaments the Outlaws are in so there was no chance of meeting on neutral territory.

Now before I get blasted here....PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE be ABSOLUTELY sure your facts are ACCURATE before you post. Thanks in advance.
+3
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1917) 5 years ago
It was about personality and egos. I'd rather blame a hunk of wood.
+4
supporter
Amorette,

That is EXACTLY what I am talking about. I am not sure where you get your FACTS on the history of the Mavericks OR the Outlaws. I can guarantee you, the Outlaws were not started due to "personality and egos". I also hope that you will not put that opinion, as to how Miles City's own Outlaw Baseball Club came to be, in Miles City's Historical Records.
+2
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2044) 5 years ago
Why were they started?
+1
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9197) 5 years ago
I'm pretty sure that a little research o.j. this vet site will uncover many threads on the evils of the wooden bat.
+3
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17069) 5 years ago
Here you go...

extreme conditions wrote:
"I truely believe the metal bat versus wood bat issue is a non-issue. In girls fast pitch they use metal bats and the pitchers stand 30 feet from the batter and end up in a position that leaves them completely vulnerable to a line-drive.I think the real reason the "outlaw" league was created was so that the "stars" could all play togther and not have to share playing time with others."

http://milescity.com/foru...9257#29688
+1
supporter
Mr Masa,
This is a tough place to go into much detail but the idea started with a minors team that won the city league championship back in 2002 ( may have been 2001). Those kids wanted more. They wanted to play more baseball that is. So a group of parents got together and took a team to one tournament that summer. The Outlaws were born. Anyone was welcome to participate on the team and still is.

The group that became a team placed 3rd, had a lot of fun and vowed to continue the next year, agreeing to work around their city league schedules. The boys started to get excited about their future as Mavericks and set a goal of winning a State Championship for their hometown of Miles City when they were old enough for Legion level.

Once tragedy struck our small town, the rumors began to fly! There was much misunderstanding and confusion as to why the Outlaw Baseball Club existed. If only people had gone to the source instead of believing hearsay things may be different. But one thing led to another......eventually MCYBA asked Outlaw Baseball Club participants and coaches to leave their organization and still to this day do not allow a player, at any level, to participate in both programs. Outlaw Baseball Club does not have this same rule. I did verify my information.

One more fact for those of you that think this is about metal vs wood bats. The Mavericks have been using metal bats for many, many years.

I hope this helps to clear up a very confusing situation. Just know the intention of the Outlaw Baseball Club was to help the Legion program until the Legion program in town decided, if they couldn't control it then "they were going to take their ball and not play with the Outlaws."

[Edited by MilesCityFan (7/2/2016 9:56:29 PM)]
+5
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2044) 5 years ago
Mr Milescityfan
I just wondered why there were two teams that did not play each other.
+2
supporter
Mr Masa,

I apologize. I must have misunderstood when you asked why there were two teams in Miles City. Here is what I posted earlier to answer your most recent question as to why the two high school age teams have not played one another

"Isn't about bats and never was! That's the first thing that needs to be said. Secondly, Outlaws have tried numerous times to play the Mavericks but they will not oblige. Mavericks have even withdrawn from tournaments the Outlaws are in so there was no chance of meeting on neutral territory."

By the way, the Outlaw Baseball Club has younger divisions of teams also. Not just high school age. Again, all are welcome and a player does not need to be "invited" to play. Simply come to sign ups. Fall baseball are happening now. Check out their website OutlawsBaseballClub.com
+3
Posted by Tara Derenburger (+16) 5 years ago
I usually do not post to this site because people are rude but I feel compelled to post. I grew up in Miles City and was raised by my grandparents Les and Norlene Payne. Miles City was a nice community to grow up in but there was always unfairness in sports. I realize that occurs everywhere in big towns and small towns. My son plays for the Outlaws and this by far has been his best year of playing baseball. The coaching is excellent, the boys play as a team, and everybody gets to PLAY. I find it really sad how rude some people are in Miles City to players who are not a Maverick player. The Outlaws is not made up spoiled rich kids that did not want to play with others it is made up of young men serious about baseball and want to just play baseball.
+10
supporter
So happy for your son, Tara. Here is to a bright future for him! Not sure why anyone would give your comment a "thumbs down". It is much easier to take the high road.
+5
supporter
Posted by Mrs. M (+711) 5 years ago
Amorette is mistaken about the teams being in two different leagues. The Outlaws are not in a league and are free to play whomever. They do play legion teams in other areas. I think what we all want is for the boys to learn to play the game, enjoy playing the game with their baseball friends and coaches, learn team work, self discipline, and commitment in which ever situation they are playing.Many of the Outlaw players have eschewed other sports to concentrate on their baseball thus enabling them a much longer playing season. This is not what all players and their families wish to do, and that is great.We need their talents for football, track, golf etc. The shorter Maverick season meets their needs. Let's support both teams and be proud of their accomplishments. They each serve a valuable but different role in our community.
+9
supporter
Well said Mrs M! Bravo to you! Each team does serve a very different role in our community. Each team deserves respect and support from our hometown. One, the Outlaws, is for baseball players that wish to play at a more competitive level and perhaps go on to the next levels of baseball. The other, the Mavericks, serves those players that want to play at a recreational level or be role players for those their friends. It's simply a matter of choice.
+6
Posted by MC Cowboy Football (+33) 5 years ago
Just my thoughts on what a Team is and what a "Role Player" is. Take it for what it is worth.

Everyone that plays high school level sports is a "Role Player." Some players are in higher profile positions, but every player has a job to do on a team, and the higher profile players can not be successful without everyone else doing their job. A "Role Player" sacrifices for the betterment of the team. I'll take a team full of "Role Players" sacrificing for one common goal over a bunch of stars out for themselves.

I believe a good team should look and act like a family.

A recreational team is not in a league competing for an end goal of a conference/state championship.

Does a recreational team have a need for "role players"? I do not see much sacrificing for the team in pick up basketball game or in beer league softball.
+4
supporter
Baseball innately has "role" players built in to the game. The guy that sacrifices or bunts or cheers from the bench, the relief pitcher, the guy in right field that thinks a ball is never coming to him. If you come to an Outlaw game you will see spirit in the dugout and among the young men. All worthwhile endeavors do not have to be rewarded with a trophy or championship. Playing your hardest, improving and having a good win/loss ratios are all worthwhile. Life isn't always about obtaining the "golden ring." The comparison to a pick up basketball game is not the best one in my opinion. A more apt one might be the traveling basketball teams. They may win a trophy at a tourney but most do not have a season trophy. I am sure some of the Maverick players as well have internal goals or goals as a group which do not include a championship or trophy. Just a thought..
+2
Mrs. M,
My comment was not in anyway directed at Outlaw Baseball or directed at you. I'm sorry for any confusion. I agree with alot of what you have stated. Especially, the fact that sports is not all about the golden ring. It's about the process. It's about setting goals and working together to achieve those goals. It's about working for something bigger than yourself. It's about an individual setting personal standards and striving to meet them. Many life lessons can be taught through sports.

My comment was specifically and only addressing the statement that Maverick baseball players were "role players" on a recreational team. We have a number of players from our Cowboy Football program that are playing baseball. I know first hand how mentally tough, competitive and dedicated they are. We have been through many battles together and I'm proud of them.

Characterizing them as "role players" on a recreational team is misguided at best, condescending and demeaning at worst.

Sorry again for any confusion.
+5
supporter
Thank you sir, glad we cleared up the misunderstanding. I appreciate your very gracious reply.
+4
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1226) 5 years ago
As a long time Miles City sports fan, must comment on calling the Maverick team as role players on a recreational team is a pretty low blow, especially coming from someone that is obviously connected to the Outlaw program is petty and un sportsman like.

There is some truth to "It's not wheather you win or lose but how you play the game" and some truth to "Show me a loser and I'll show you a loser".

In my opinion (which is not worth much)MC is to small to support 2 teams of high school age players in any sport. Same way when SH had programs.

When was the last time the Mavericks won a state title? (Where is Brian Reed when we need him) believe it was the year Frank Wagner had all those Ks

Good Luck MC sports teams.
+4
supporter
Ike, it is what it is, there are two teams and at present it looks to stay that way. I doubt that the poster meant to slight the Maverick program. Outlaw fans tend to get a little protective as it seems we are the "outlaws". I too wish this could be rectified but I don't know what the answer is.
I am sure glad my old friend is still kicking. I thought about you the other day and hoped you were doing well. Jan
+3
Last time the Miles City Mavericks won the State AA legion title was 1996. Frank Wagner did strike out the world during that state tourney. Brian Larson wasn't too shabby either.

The year before in 1995, the Mavericks came in second place to Missoula in the State tourney, losing 8-5. Miles City hosted the tournament that year.

On a side note, Mrs. Munroe was a great teacher.
+4
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1226) 5 years ago
Jan,Thank you for the response and kind thoughts. Am slowly recuperating from a broken hip and will have eye surgery later this month but am still fighting the good fight. Thanks again Ike
+3
supporter
When I posted that the Mavericks are a "recreational league" and have " role players" that was definitely not a slight on any of the players. They are a good bunch of kids. Those two phrases came straight from MCYBA. They have made it known that not so many years ago, MCYBA called a community meeting at the golf course and the "community voted" to have the entire program operate as a "recreational league". As for the "role player" comment, I believe as Mrs M said, there are times in baseball for everyone to play a vital role but that is never just to fill a spot on the field. The "role player" comment came from a MCYBA coach who believes it is ok to have kids on the field who are there simply for their friends. Therefore, they are "role players" and do not need any of the coaches time to improve their skills as they are dispensable.
+2
supporter
Thanks, Miles City Football, you were a delight to teach.
+1
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+3245) 5 years ago
I thought this quote from Lindsay Meggs...Head Baseball Coach of the Washington Huskies was good..."If no one cares who gets credit, we can do anything".

It is great that many kids are getting involved in baseball in Miles City. Seeing invitations in the Star for kids to join teams...seeing the many kids playing at the various fields...the Facebook videos where kids are thanking sponsors...just so many reasons to admire and thank the people who are making this happen.

Hello to Ike
+5
supporter
Well said Ms Dalbec! And congrats to your grandson! Enjoy the next level of his baseball career! Let's keep the kids playing baseball at levels.
+2
Have the Mav's ever gave a reason for not wanting to play the Outlaws?
+4
supporter
No, the Mavericks have not given a reason to the Outlaws as to why they will not play a game or series against them. The person I confirmed this with said " No, not to my knowledge. ". Great question though.
+2