Posted by Mary Catherine Dunphy (+2901) 5 years ago
Yesterday afternoon around 5 p.m. my bicycle was stolen from where it was briefly parked in front of Terry Hanson's law office on 9th Street. I would appreciate everyone keeping an eye out for this bicycle, as it is my only form of transportation. (There are a few of us year round cyclists here in Miles City.)

The stolen bike is a maroon colored Giant Rincon, a mountain bike, (Serial Number 3377027) and has lots of reflector tape on it so drivers can see me at night. It also has several reflectors on the tires. The tires have a real thick tread because they are bicycle snow tires, as I ride the bike in the winter. Also, the seat is a wide seat. I'm 64 years old and the wide seat is comfortable.

I notified the police but will drop the complaint if my bike is returned.

To the thief I say this: If you don't return my bike, I hope you will enjoy it as much as I have. It is a great bike. I'm sorry you needed a bike so much that you felt compelled to steal one. Although I can't afford to buy you a brand new bike myself, I'm sure a group of my friends and I could get together and get you a pretty good used bicycle. In fact, I bought the bike you stole second hand. Stealing things isn't really the best way to go through life. It is better to ask for help if you need help getting something you really want. But, I understand that could be difficult so I forgive you.

By the way, I have a perverse admiration for how quickly you acted and got away because my trip to the law office was very brief. However, is that really the way you want to display your competency in life -- as a clever, nimble thief? Think about it. I think you can do better.
+9
Posted by UM Griz (+161) 5 years ago
Any chance you have a photo of the bike? We had a bike lifted out of our backyard last year, it had two flat tires and a chain that was rusted together, but some tweakers apparently thought it was worth stealing.
Unfortunately, I don't have a photo of the bike.
Posted by simplyme (+58) 5 years ago
How sad I'll keep my eyes open hope its found!
Great news!

My bicycle has been found thanks to the great work of the Miles City Police Department. After diligently searching, Officer Fenner found my bicycle near the dog pound. He said my bicycle was allegedly taken by a person with complex mental health issues. Even though there is quite a bit of damage to the bicycle, I have declined to press charges in the hopes this person will get the necessary mental health treatment.

Thank you Officer Fenner and everyone else at the Miles City Police Department who assisted in the search for my bicycle. I am very grateful. Well done!

Miles Milligan at Pedal Power Sports is hard at work getting my bicycle fixed. It should be street ready tomorrow. I'm glad because biking is much easier than walking in this heat!
+13
Picked up my bicycle today. Miles Milligan of Pedal Power Sports did a great job of fixing it. It feels so good to have my wheels back. It's so much easier to ride than walk in this heat.

Thanks again to Officer Fenner of the Miles City Police Department for doing such great police work and finding my bicycle. And, I hope the person who took my bike will get the necessary mental health treatment.
+3
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17439) 5 years ago
Did you by chance purchase a bike lock from Pedal Power Sports when you were there?
+3
Actually David, I have three bike locks and one that is always on the bike. This was supposed to be a quick in-and-out trip. I usually lock the bike up but on occasion I don't. This was one of those times. I usually consider Miles City much safer than other places I have lived; however, this was one of those times when it probably would have been better to use my lock. You just never know. Lesson learned!
+1
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1504) 5 years ago
Really glad you found your bicycle, and Miles is a Good Man that has helped me out a lot over the last 25 years.
supporter
Posted by Shu (+1800) 5 years ago
Glad you got the bike back...and there's nobody better at fixing-up a bike than Miles.
+1