supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1913) 4 years ago
Weather is supposed to be lovely and warm. Lots of parade entries. Lots of beer being unloaded around town. What are you all up to this weekend? I'm working at the Range Riders Reps Cowboy breakfast on Saturday morning so I will just have to replay highlights of past parades in my head.
+7
supporter
Posted by cubby (+2564) 4 years ago
Being born and raised here I have had all I can take of bucking horse. This will be year 12 of I not attending the sale and don't miss it one bit. Have fun and be safe everyone.
+3
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+14646) 4 years ago
Good to hear that the weather is nice for the BHS.Here in western Montana, it's raining off and on all weekend. I probably will do yard work, with a little bit of creek fishing on the side.
+2
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6173) 4 years ago
I'll be keeping my mother out of trouble.
+9
Posted by Forsyth Mike (+425) 4 years ago
Seems like every year I hope to take my wife to the parade, but I always wind up having to work. So I catch bits and pieces of it on the webcam when I can.

As for the bar scene...welll I used to do that, was a barrel of fun but that's for the young'uns.

I still remember driving down Main (when you could still drive down Main) in my Ford Mustang which had a T-roof, and seeing a guy heave a six-pack of cans across the street directly over the top of my car.

And I remember the awful couple of years when they banned outdoor drinking, causing everybody to cram body-to-body into the bars. That almost killed the party because you literally couldn't even move around. Then somebody had the idea to block off the street and have street dances, which created the scene you have today.
+3
Posted by Speedbump (+199) 4 years ago
Reply to cubby (#366632)
Hopefully we get nice rain sunday night to wash the smell off main street.
+2
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1457) 4 years ago
Hope you all attend the Quick Draw in the park after the parade. A group will also be soliciting money to keep the Tongue River herd in Miles City. Hope to see you there.
+6
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14301) 4 years ago
Reply to cubby (#366632)
cubby wrote:
Being born and raised here I have had all I can take of bucking horse. This will be year 12 of I not attending the sale and don't miss it one bit. Have fun and be safe everyone.

I'd encourge you to go live somewhere else for five years, so you can move back and appreciate just how absolutley procreateing "Norman Rockwell" Miles City and its activities are. There just aren't many places that have activities like the BHS, the parade, and all of the other events which make it home.
+9
founder
Posted by David Schott (+15175) 4 years ago
That was quite the parade this morning -- nice weather, 1.5 hours long, lots of great entries, and from what I could see the kids didn't get shorted on the candy.

The Pepsi truck was handing out something, too, but I couldn't tell what it was. Six packs of Pepsi products?

I wonder how many people closed down the bars at 2am last night but still managed to make it to the 9:30am parade. That's rough duty.
+4
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+10322) 4 years ago
Since Jim Michels is dead, I'm told it was the last year for the oil-burners and his equipment. I was at the Range Riders so I missed it but I just replay the highlights of the 50 years in my head.
+5
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+2780) 4 years ago
I wonder if Stephanie Michels was driving one of the oil burners?
+1
Posted by MR (+389) 4 years ago
Yes...the last one. End of the parade !
+1
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3204) 4 years ago
RIP, Jim.
+2
Posted by Phil Shifley (+108) 4 years ago
One of them can probably continue to run the parade. I don't know which one it is but the CCDHS AG program actually bought and owns one of those two Oil Pull Rumleys. In the 60's or early 70's (not sure when) they bought it from a local farmer/ rancher by the last name of George. It took up too much room in the farm shop so Jim stored it at his place.
+3
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1913) 4 years ago
YAY! BHS parades have ended with oil burners puffing and smoking for most of my life and I would miss them.
+2