supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+12997) 3 years ago
Last week I had the good fortune to attend a conference in Center City (downtown) Philadelphia. As I haven't been to Philly in over 20 years, I was eager to sample the local cuisine, as Philly has the best food in the country.

First stop, Steve's Prince of Steaks (Pat's King of Steaks was too far a walk from the hotel).

If you have never had a Philly cheese steak in Philadelphia, you don't know what you are missing. Even the cheese steak I had in the Philly airport yesterday, which wasn't that good, was ten times better than any you would get in Montana. The secret is the that soft Italian roll.

My co-worker friend and I took a cab to South Street on Friday. Of the three cheese steaks I had last week, the best was from Jim's.

http://www.jimssouthstreet.com/

No pictures of that one. My hands were too covered with grease.

But its not all about cheese steaks. Philadelphia has other killer sandwiches, too. I had two sandwiches last week from the Reading Terminal Market, which I believe is the best food market in America (and yes, I have been to New York, Boston, Seattle, many other big city markets).

Here are pork and beef roasts waiting to be carved up at Tommy DiNic's. The roast pork with sharp provolone and broccoli rabe was voted the best sandwich in America a couple of years ago by a show on the Travel Channel. I concur.

And nothing beats an Italian hoagie from Philly. This one is from the Salumeria in the Reading terminal. It had a awesome roasted red bell pepper topping.

Philadelphia isn't all just sandwiches and pizza (the pizza is killer, too). As we were on the east coast, we went out a couple of nights for seafood. I had about the best oysters I ever had in my life at the Oyster House. We ordered three dozen, 3 different varieties of oysters.

And we went to a Greek restaurant, where they packed a whole Mediterranean sea bass in rock salt, poured some sort of Greek liqueur over it, and set it on fire at our table. It was delicious.

If you ever get the chance to go to Philadelphia, I highly recommend it. I won't bore you with pictures of the bell.
+5
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+13931) 3 years ago
How is their beer?
+3
supporter
Beer was excellent. I went to the Tria taproom twice.

They don't label the tap handles. Instead, when you walk in, they hand you a tablet, with their beer menu online at their website:

https://www.triaphilly.com/tria-taproom/

Click on the live beverage list, then click on one of the beers. They have real time volume of the amount left in the keg. The bartender told me it is a pain in the butt to get the electronics all installed when they tap a keg.

The gose on that menu was real tasty, as well as the kolsch. The smoky sour beers, I did not care for.

I also went to the Victory Brewery in Downingtown.

http://www.victorybeer.co...wningtown/

I had the Festbier, Devil Craft Lager, Donnybrook Extra Stout, and a Belgian Blonde that they must have run out of, as it isn't on the menu that was updated today. All were excellent.

The local PBR equivalent is Yuengling lager, which is really nice on tap, and goes well with a cheese steak.
+3
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5043) 3 years ago
It's a small sample size, but everyone I've talked to from Philly says Jim's has the best cheese steaks in the city.

Looks like you had fun!

I had a cheese steak in the airport and it tasted like ass...

[Edited by Bob L. (4/25/2016 2:58:13 PM)]
+2
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8202) 3 years ago
Goddammit, why must it always come back to Sen. Craig?
+5
supporter
Ha!

It is funny my original post, just a conversational one, got one negative vote already. Makes me wonder why?

Is it because I neglected to go to Pat's and/or Geno's for a cheese steak, and include it in my reviews? If so, that is a legitimate thumbs down.

Is it because you hate all things east coast, despise cheese steaks, and therefore pulled the thumbs down trigger? Hmmm. Okay, I can see that. But if someone from Berkeley would post a similar thread about tofu, can't say I would vote them a thumbs down.

Is it because you think all things Miles City culinary are superior, and Philadelphia food therefore must suck even though I have never been there and live in a trailer and live off Town Pump corn dogs? In that event, you just might be a dumba$$.
+4
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+2338) 3 years ago
And Richard got two thumbs down for asking about the beer. I guess the question was too controversial.

You can keep the oysters, Gunnar. Everything else sounds most excellent.
+1