Cruci-FICTION at the Park
Posted by busyB (+631) 6 years ago
Today, I had to make the damp drive into the big town of MC.

I always take the first exit into town and drive past the Fairgrounds, over the bridge and along Riverside Park.

Now, perhaps I'm ignorant of who owns Riverside, but I thought it was city property... public property.

That being my assumption, I was confused to see a HUGE, wooden cross gracing the face of the park.

It looks to be a new, permanent feature. The 5-gallon bucket alongside it signals the thoughts of... cement, perhaps?

It's drizzly. I'm bitter. I was not in the mood to go trudge through the wet grass to see the specifics of the addition, but was curious about the 'whats', 'whos', 'whens', and specifically 'whys' of the thing.

Any rational input would be greatly appreciated.
+8
Posted by Cory Cunningham (+160) 6 years ago
Montana Cadastral shows the park in question under the ownership of the City of Miles City, ie. its a public park.
+7
Does anyone know who put it up or why?
+4
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11902) 6 years ago
It was put up by the walk with the cross folks at Easter. It was supposed to be taken down the next day.
+6
Posted by Joe R. Whalen (+229) 6 years ago
Questions for Mayor Hollowell:

1. Was a park permit issued for the display?

2. If not, why not?

3. If so, who signed it?

4. Who approved the permit, if one was issued?

5. If a permit has expired, why is the display still in the park?

6. If a permit has expired, has the violator been cited?

7. If the violator has not been cited, why not?

8. If the violator has been cited, why is the display still in the park?

9. What is the fine for each day the permittee is in violation of the permit?
+10
Posted by Dwayne Rude (+471) 6 years ago
Enforcement of city ordinances must be consistent with law. Arbitrarily enforcing laws is detrimental to the publics confidence.
+6
Posted by Bob Netherton III (+2778) 6 years ago
Oh, the humanity!
+3
Posted by AFAB (+97) 6 years ago
It seems that someone is still sore about not being elected mayor. Lol
+4
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15076) 6 years ago
Haven't you people learned anything yet. This is not a "cross". It's a lower case t to remind you to vote for trump. amiright, Gunnar?
+8
All I wanted to know is why is was there to begin with and why it's still there.

-If it was for a religious celebration, why is it at the public park?
-Why not do it on private property or on religious grounds?

It's located right near the playground, and though I'm sure many of you feel that it should stay and that it's doing no harm, I ask... would you feel the same way if it were a Star of David? I ask that only because my Jewish niece and nephew live in Miles City. Why should the park they love to play at remind them, yet again, that they are "different" than their friends? It's completely unnecessary.

What about the atheist children of Miles City? There are many more of them than most would think. These kids already feel excluded from a ton of events, they shouldn't have to be reminded at a park.

Of all places, shouldn't a park be a place to get away from religion and politics?

I'm not a PC person in any way, but this is clearly a statement. No religion should have privileges that supersede the laws. I don't care if 99% of Miles City is Christian... it's wrong for the city to support one religion over another. If they're claiming they're not...

Does that mean a "Star and Crescent" can be posted at the park for Ramadan?

There would be riots in the street if that happened and that is where the hypocrisy lies.

[Edited by busyB (4/19/2016 8:17:47 AM)]
+9
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9297) 6 years ago
I think any private group can apply to use public accommodations for a limited time, on a first-come-first-served basis, so that part isn't problematic.

Just leaving it there afterwords however...

[Edited by Bridgier (4/19/2016 1:01:53 PM)]
+6
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 6 years ago
This is one of the reasons I can't move back. My head would explode.
+4
Posted by Oddjob (+188) 6 years ago
Reply to Wendy Wilson (#366108)
Yup.

No overt expression of government-sponsored religion in Utah.
+3
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6171) 6 years ago
True, Oddjob. But I have little control over that at the moment.
+2