supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15311) 6 years ago
One of the focuses of the past week for Christians is on "salvation". I'll come back to this in a moment.

Have you ever given much thought to "now"? I mean being focused solely on what is going on at this moment without thought of the past or the future? For some reason I have been thinking about this the last couple of days. I recognize I am far from where I desire to dwell.

One of the patterns I have identified in my own life is that when I dislike what is going on "now", I tend to run for the past or I become anxious about the future. I am more comfortable there. I seem to allow the past or the future, (neither can co-exist with "now") to steal the joy out of the present moment. In reality, "now", this moment, is all that truly exists. Neither the past nor the future are "now". At the root of distracting from the "now" I have always found fear. In fact, I am beginning to concluded that there are basically only two emotions one can experience, fear or love.

I suspect that our inability to enjoy "now" is what makes religion such a powerful force in our world. Religion, especially the orthodox version, is all about fear from the past impacting the future. Most everything in religion is focused on the future, never focused on "now". It's all about waiting for some "glorious" day or event. It never allows one the joy that is occurring "now".

Ive come to believe that true salvation is fulfillment, peace, life in all its fullness. It is to be who we are, to feel within ourselves the good that has no opposite, the joy of being that depends on nothing outside itself. It is felt not as a passing experience but as an abiding presence. True salvation is to know ourselves as an inseparable part of the timeless and formless one life from which all that exists derives its being.

There is nothing we can ever do or attain that will get us closer to salvation than it is at this moment. This may be hard to grasp for a mind accustomed to thinking that everything worthwhile is in the future. Nor can anything that we ever did or that was done to us in the past prevent us from saying yes to what is and taking our attention deeply into the "now". You cannot do this in the future. You do it now or not at all.

Perhaps true salvation is experiencing joy in the "now" and allowing love to conquer our fears. Salvation is an attribute that comes from within ourselves. It doesn't come from the past or the future, or some person or entity. It doesn't come all at once as we transition from this life. It comes moment by moment as we focus and delight in the "now".
+6
Posted by MEBO9 (+44) 6 years ago
Spot on, Richard.
And two books to suggest if you haven't read them already:
"The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle
"Loving What Is" by Byron Katie
+1
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3843) 6 years ago
There is only history, mystery and now. Easier to say than achieve. Richard, if you figure it out, let me know.
+1
Posted by Steve Sullivan (+1409) 6 years ago
One more book you can add to the list: "Conversations With God." In it God talks about there only being fear and love. Also mentions they are just opposite ends of the same thing. Actually, it sounds like you have read "Conversations" or came to the same conclusions organically. Good on ya mate!

[Edited by Steve Sullivan (3/28/2016 4:29:24 PM)]