Oral History Project?
Posted by Craig L. Hillemann (+25) 4 years ago
Do any historical societies or educational institutions have an oral history project comprising recording interviews with senior citizens to obtain for posterity their first-hand recollections of growing up/living in Miles City or the surrounding area long ago?
Posted by Steve Allison (+973) 4 years ago
Story corp on Nation Public Radio
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9851) 4 years ago
There were some efforts by the state historical society years ago, when 'history' first became fashionable. I don't know how much was actually accomplished.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14462) 4 years ago
When Eric Brandt was in town operating Brandt Information Technology he had a website with various videos such as city council meetings, etc. I saw one video where John Munsell interviewed Albert Bender (who was 90-something at the time) about his life in Miles City. I don't recall if there were other such videos produced and I have no idea what would have become of those videos.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+14462) 4 years ago
Here is where it was discussed on these forums. An interview with Albert Bender (age 98) and another one with Wes Munsell. Cool idea. Unfortunately I can't find the videos.

http://milescity.com/foru...view/38018
Posted by gypsykim (+1559) 4 years ago
I know that a couple from the LDS church is interviewing two veterans at the VA rest home to record their histories. They are 92 and 93 years old.
Posted by Craig L. Hillemann (+25) 4 years ago
Thanks to everyone for responding.

Amorette Allison’s recollection led to the webpage https://mhs.mt.gov/research/collections/archives stating that the Montana Historical Society has so far collected more than 2,300 oral histories and is looking for more, to the extent that they are willing to loan recording equipment. This appears to be the best and maybe only real repository for oral histories in Montana.

Regarding the interviews of Albert Bender and Wes Munsell, the hosting internet site www.milescityvoice.com apparently no longer exists. If their videos are again located, transfer to the Montana Historical Society obviously should be considered.

--- Craig
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9348) 4 years ago
The UM and MSU (maybe other schools as well) also have some oral history files – I think they collect them on a catch as catch can basis.