Founder / Sponsor / Supporter
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9919) 5 years ago
Good morning,

In another thread I saw what might have been some confusion as to what is meant by Founder / Sponsor / Supporter.

I’ll likely get some of the details wrong, but Larry can set me straight on that.

Founder means that a person was participating in the discussions here very early on. I’m not certain what the year was that you had to be a member in order to be considered a founder, but it was likely 15 years ago.

Sponsor means that the person contributed money to help defray the costs of keep Miles City dotcom up and running.

Supporter means that a person buys advertising for display on the website or donates money to keep things going.

For most folks it seems that being a Sponsor / Supporter means that they value Miles City dotcom enough to kick in a few bucks to help the webmaster with his expenses. It means they aren’t taking a free ride on Larry’s dime. And I know that even with the help of the few who do contribute, he still shells out money every month to keep this resource up and running.

If Miles City dotcom is something you value, perhaps consider kicking
in a couple bucks rather than taking the free ride.

Hope your day is going well. . . .

+8
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17062) 5 years ago
Thanks, Hal. I'll let the Webmaster speak up if I have this wrong, but I believe a "sponsor" is someone who has supported the site by purchasing advertising while a "supporter" is someone who has supported the site by making a donation.
+5
founder
supporter
sponsor
Thanks David, I was pretty certain I'd get it mixed up.

Except for the part that it's good thing to kick in a couple bucks to help keep things going ; -)

Folks who value the site should do that.
+5
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1501) 5 years ago
This could be fun If legitimate advertisers fill the rotation, please drop mine out and call the balance a donation for putting up with me all these years.

[Edited by Dave Roberts (1/10/2016 4:33:25 PM)]
+5
Posted by Tongue River Millworks & Meado (+240) 5 years ago
Rat's jumping ship?
+4
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1501) 5 years ago
It's been a while, but I think that Hal and I got blue "Sponsor" badges when there wasn't another way to contribute. I'd actually forgotten about it and had assumed that Larry had accepted it as a donation, so I guess I'll maybe have an Ad for a bit it looks like.

Hal's ad looks so nice! Likely because he has class. I, on the other hand, suffer no such constraint-.

I'll be good, I promise. Though, if Larry get's around to making more badges, I think I have room for one more- "Pelican", in any obnoxious color. I'd wear it with honor.
+4
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10001) 5 years ago
Newbie is someone new to the site. The current definition is:

A. Signed up less than 30 days ago, -or-
B. Signed up 30-180 days ago and has posted less than 5 messages.

Founder is for those who created an account in the first two years of the discussion forums. (The first public post was 9/30/2000. So the current cut off date for receiving this badge is 9/30/2002.)

Supporter is a badge for those who have donated to the site. (http://milescity.com/donate)

Sponsor is a badge for those who have purchased advertising space. (http://milescity.com/account/ads)

Banned indicates the user has had their posting privileges revoked.

Moderator indicates the user can moderate the discussion forums.

Admin indicates the user is an administrator.

Regards, Larry
+3
founder
supporter
sponsor
Larry, thanks for the clarifications and thanks for all you do here.
= = = = =

Folks,

I was contacted off-list by someone pointing out that not everyone is a rich as I am and can’t contribute money to MilesCityDotCom. Aside from the fact this person behaved like a dick, they did raise a point worth considering.

You don’t have to be as rich as I am (my condolences to those who are in my income bracket). You can contribute as little as $10 to help keep the site going. You can make a one-time contribution, monthly, or annual contributions. The amount can range from 10 bucks to whatever.

To support MilesCityDotCom just click on the button on the main page and go for it.

+7
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+10001) 5 years ago
It's been brought to my attention (by a Mr. Newby) that the "newby" badge should have been spelled "newbie".

I'm surprised none of you brought this up before. Now I need to update the code. And fix that message above.
+3
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 5 years ago
I work at a weekly newspaper in a small town and supplement that with the occasional shift at the movie theater--mostly for the popcorn. I can't toss in much but I try to send a few bucks Larry's way now and then. I did give a whomp to charity this holiday season so it may be a while before another pittance goes his way but it will.
+4