Posted by truck (-199) 5 years ago
I am curious about a couple things and figured I would ask here. Why is it that when some one brings up the topic of who stands to lose money if the Scott trial is not held in Miles City, as well as why does it seem that the county attorney is questioning if the death penalty is appropriate?. I would hope that he doesnt think this Scott guys deserves to sit behind bars for the rest of his life. Also when one brings up anything to do with our LE and their way of handling this case,it seems some are to scared to say anything. Am I missing something????
+1
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17062) 5 years ago
I think you have done a poor job of making your points.

The Montana Division of Criminal Investigations was called in to investigate the homicide. Seems like a smart move on the part of the MCPD to me.

The accused haven't gone to trial yet, so until there is a conviction or convictions it's hard to judge how well the crime was investigated.

The taxpayers of Custer County might stand to lose money if they have to pay for the trial(s). What exactly is your point? Are you suggesting that taxpayers would rather let criminals go free?

About the only thing I can figure out is you are upset that the Chief of Police wasn't blabbing about the case at every opportunity. Again, the MT Div. of Criminal Investigations was conducting the investigation. Perhaps you should take your complaints up with them. Personally I think it's wise to not release too many details about an ongoing investigation.

My one complaint about this was the fact that Scott Price wasn't already back in custody after admitting to 10 violations of his conditional release. I originally thought he admitted to these violations last August and had been running free ever since. The Miles City Star published a story written by Marla Prell recently and that cleared up a lot of confusion for me. Price had admitted to the violations a long time ago and had been going through a variety of Dept. of Corrections treatment programs. It's not like he had been ignored for months. I think he had been listed as an "absconder" for all of about two weeks prior to this homicide.

If the guy is guilty of what he's accused of, it seems he's simply a dirtbag loser and I think spending the rest of his life behind bars is a bigger punishment than putting him to death.
+8
Posted by gypsykim (+1556) 5 years ago
I also believe that whatever the majority of us say, it's just hearsay or personal opinion. I don't comment unless I know the facts.
+8
David why on earth would you respond in that manner. I live here in Miles City and pay taxes as well. I dont think Miles City would be responsible for all the cost if the trial was held here. So my question was who stands to lose the most money if the trial was not held here. I re-peat was not held here. Does Scott actually have to come back here to Custer County to be prosecuted or can it be done in Missoula? I am asking because I want to know how all this works. Your comment about the chief and the way the case was handled I find very eluding. First off I wouldnt call communicating with the public babbling. I simply ask as well as many others have asked,why wait 4 days to put out the name and pic. We still dont know if he was actually here in MC till the next day now do we, and as long as that POS was still on the lose our community was still in danger. Like I said Missoula had many people involved including the public after the POS did what he did to those two wonderfull people in Missoula. You are pretty much dis crediting other LE and other agencys that were involved in solving the case as quick as they did. One last point on this matter is, If he was in fact still in Miles City staying at a motel/hotel or even if he wasnt,wouldnt you think if a name and pic had been put out just as soon as it was confirmed that it was Scott things would have been different. Your ok though with how it was handled right. Now your responce on the death penalty or life in prison, are you serious. Scott gets to hang out with all of his white suprimicist friends, get 3 meals a day, pump iron, have visitors, and theres more I am sure. Your ok with paying this guys rent I take it. I understand now...
+1
founder

Sorry I tried to engage you in intelligent conversation. I will never make that mistake again.
+12
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11757) 5 years ago
CUSTER COUNTY would be responsible for the cost of a capital trial. It could run upwards to a million dollars.

Yes, you read that correctly.

Paying lawyers. Paying expert witnesses. Paying all sorts of expenses like just making copies. Capital trials are VERY expensive and Custer County would be financially better off to let Missoula handle the initial case.

We have enough expensive things to pay for in this county without that extra burden. Let a much wealthier county foot the bill.
+6
Posted by Tomm (-1033) 5 years ago
It might be that some finally realized that when a motion to move the trial the entire posts on milescity.com will be used in court. Might make some of you look pretty stupid.
+3
No problem, just didnt expect that rude comment from you. Our conversation does not have anything to do with intelligence it has to do with a member of this site asking questions and looking for answers. I dont support the good ol boys club nor do I own a business so I stand to lose nothing. If some of the good ol boys member were to take their blinders off, they would see that the questions that have been asked do have merit. You have side stepped every question I asked, not sure if you done that delibertly or unintentionally. Anyways it is what it is and thats a sad state of affairs.
+2
supporter
Posted by Steve Z (+998) 5 years ago
Correct me if I am wrong, but isn't a capitol offence a state violation? Therefore wouldn't the state prosecutor and the state of MT be involved? It has been 35 years since I studied any criminal law, but I think the state not Custer county would be on the hook for prosecution costs, but I may very well be wrong. Feel free to clarify if so.
+1
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+1300) 5 years ago
http://deathpenaltyinfo.org/twopercent seems to indicate that it is passed on to the rest of the state (state in the article is not Montana). Also mentions that many murder trials are overturned because of inadequate representation. There are many smaller counties of 2,000 people in Montana. A 2 million dollar trial and appeals would cost each person in the county 1,000$.
+1
Posted by Brandy Allen (-2410) 5 years ago
Sounds like we the people lost a good community member, one whom was constantly spending money at local businesses, and employing people. As well as paying a hefty tax bill too help our city. Then a guy kills him and admits to it, and we the community have to pay more money?

Would a guard please pay whichever gang is biggest a few grand to stab this guy up and be done with it, or accidentally discharge your weapon. If this guy makes it to trial, there will have been two injustices done, one to ed, and another to miles city."he admitted the killing, so kill him".

And be quick about it, so his survivors can mourn and move on, and his victims may feel justified. So they can began adding more subsequently to the value of our community rather than worrying about his outcome.

By that I mean this guy held people around him back, and with his conclusion, they will be much more free to follow their individual paths to success, thereby adding to the depth of our community as a whole. It is that depth and their involvement that will replace the tax dollars/local business support/employment that Ed brought to the table.

However I am pretty biased, since this guy is an "atheist and killer", which are two things that repulse me, I say fire away.

But I bet that this guy could change his plea tomorrow, and be found innocent if he had enough money. He "may" even be allowed to settle all this in a civil trial rather than a criminal one, [it has happened]. We are too far from a system of justice!!
+5
founder
The State of Montana is responsible for funding the state district courts as outlined in MCA 3-5-901:

3-5-901. State assumption of district court expenses. (1) There is a state-funded district court program under the judicial branch. Under this program, the office of court administrator shall fund all district court costs, except as provided in subsection (3).

Read more here.
+5
Brandy Allen, your right on with tht comment. I cant see how some think that giving this POS life behind bars would be worse then a death sentence,( a quick one at that) This type of individual would like nothing more then to be given 3 meals a day, hang with friends, and such. I didnt really understand how the court thing worked beings he is allready being tried in Missoula,so I thank those that clarified that for me. I agree wth what some one earlier mentioned it makes more since to let his trial be held else where. I still think that some one would be out of a chunk of changeif the trial wasn't held here. You also mentioned that he allready confessed to what he did, so why would they have to even have a trial? Regardless of trial or no trial, we lost a well liked guy along with Missoula losing a well liked and loved individual. Many many lives have been changed, and communities have been rocked by these two horrible individuals. I know that I have been out spoken about how things were handled at the beginning, however I am sure that I am not the only one with questions. Seemed like most had to look elsewhere for information and that info was not rumored. I dont think we are wrong for asking and wanting certain questions amswered. Growing up I was allways told to admit if I was wrong and not put wrong on others. I felt like we as a community were not kept up to date, nor were we safe from this guy as reported. It will be very interresting when the whole story comes to light. I know that all the should of could of or what if's wont bring back Ed, however may be we all can learn something from this.
+1
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Frank Hardy (+1607) 5 years ago
However I am pretty biased, since this guy is an "atheist and killer", which are two things that repulse me, I say fire away.

If being a killer repulses you, how can you want someone killed?

FH
+8
founder
Posted by PeneF (+137) 5 years ago
Hmm, Let's see, KILL him, or Let him rot in PRISON?? Now please don't get me wrong, as I do agree there should at least be some kind of justice for the families that lost their loved ones, But How can one chose, because either way WE the HARD working tax payers will have to pay for the choice because really WHERE else is that money for funding gong to come from but US, And HOW is that fair?? I'm sorry but we should NOT have to be forced to pay for the STUPID choices that people make....JUST SAYING!!

[Edited by PeneF (1/14/2016 6:02:09 PM)]

[Edited by PeneF (1/14/2016 8:00:03 PM)]
+1
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17335) 5 years ago
PeneF makes a good point. Death penalty or life sentence, it is all the same to us tax payers. We are going to have to pay a lot of money for this a-hole.
+3
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 5 years ago
It's much more expensive to deal with the death penalty than a life sentence. The death penalty requires automatic appeals which costs much more than the cost of keeping a person in jail for life. I, for one, am a cheap bastard and would prefer not to spend more than the absolute minimum it takes to put this scumbag away.
+6
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2044) 5 years ago
Why not let Missoula prosecute him first. I know in other cases, people who are found guilty and sentenced to death or life will plead guilty to their other crimes from a different city, state. Sometimes for a reduction in sentence. If they reduced his sentence from death to life, Montana would still pay but MC might have a little easier
+4