Tech Support Scammers!!!!!!!!!!
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+1067) 3 years ago
These operate by making a phone call saying your computer has a virus and they should fix the problem immediately, or a popup on your screen comes up saying there is a virus on your computer, call this number immediately. I have ignored these messages in the past, but they were becoming more frequent, so I took my computer to a computer expert and he said I did not have a virus.

So, in early December, all of a sudden, my address bar went berserk, (indicating a virus attack), and the popup said I had a virus and to call this number immediately. Since it looked to me as if I had a virus, I called the number and got an individual with a broken accent who said I did have a virus and he would fix it, give me virus protection and two years of tech support for 260$. I allowed him to take the money out of my checking account with an E check. I checked the internet and the company was legit (TechCloud Solutions, LLC). But there were scammers using it for a cover. Since they appeared to fix my computer, they sounded legit.

(And I see on KTVQ last night that tech support is the fourth leading cause of fraud in the US)

Then, a few days ago I get a call from this Alex Williams, saying the company was going under and they need to return my money since they could not provide the tech support I paid for. He wanted my credit card or debit card number. He asked three times for it and I told him the truth, I don't have a credit or debit card number. (And he made some sort of remark about how it was strange I did not have these). Then he made arrangements to go thru Western Union and return the 260$ thru Paypal. I don't exactly know what happened to that, but then he wanted my checking account number. (Must have found out I did not have any money in my Paypal). Since he was going to put money into my checking account, and my checking account number is public information (on every check), I gave him my number and decided to keep a close eye on my account. So, I find out that the transaction has been made for 910$. That is strange, they were supposed to only add 260$ to my account. I call the bank and find out 910$ was taken out, not put in and they would call me back. They called me back and told me the 910$ would be returned, but maybe not the 260$.

Then, Alex Williams had the nerve to call me back, "HI Don, how are you doing?"

Me: Not so good, you stole 900$ of my money!!!

Alex: I was just going to tell you about that, some hackers did that., If you will just let me get back into your computer, I will help you get that back.

Me: The bank is going to get it back, I don't need you.

Alex: Don, you have to trust me, I will help you get that back, just let me back into your computer.

Me: I don't need your help, don't ever call me back again.(hung up on him)

(He did call me back again twice, and got hung up on twice.)

So, If your computer address bar goes berserk, and a popup says to call a nr, don't call the number.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tucker Bolton (+3019) 3 years ago
Don, We have all been getting these scams for years. I got the same one or very similar just last week. If you are careful, there is always a tell. This one looked legit until he told me they targeted my hard drive via an e-mail ad that I opened with my MSN, e-mail account. All I had to do was subscribe to their service and for a small initial fee they would fix it and sell me a program that would protect me from further virus and Trojan horse attacks.

This was undoubtedly a mass fishing scam. I don't have an MSN account. I don't have a Microsoft anything. I have a Linux laptop, An Apple desktop and two chrome tablets. I am glad that you have a good bank and that these thieves will not get your money. Unfortunately they probably not get their just desserts. They have the information they were looking for and are operating as someone else.
+1
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hannah Nash (+2502) 3 years ago
Reply to Don Birkholz (#363988)
Don-- did you ever get your computer fixed? I've cleaned up after these attacks for many library patrons.

Feel free to call me at 234-1496 if you're local and we can get your system cleaned off. We don't charge for this service, but donations to the library fund are always appreciated.
+3
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6172) 3 years ago
If you never listen to anything else in you life, please listen to this:

NEVER GIVE YOUR BANK ACCOUNT NUMBERS TO ANYONE YOU DID NOT INITIATE CONTACT WITH!

They are not "public knowledge" just because they're on your checks. This scam has been around for ages. Do not fall for it. If you're concerned, take your computer in to a reputable repair service and have them check it for you.
+8
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+1067) 3 years ago
I went into my computer to something that said "If you want your computer to go back to the original settings from the factory, click on the yes, or whatever. I hope that solves the problem.

In all the scams involving tech support (I have avoided in the past), they did not make it look like the computer was infected. (letters zipping by on the address box).

When I called the number, the person answering had a broken dialect and I had to make him repeat half of what he said. After this was all over, I called the Microsoft (legitimate office), and the woman answering had a broken dialect, so it is not as easy to detect fraud as it might seem.
+3
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1206) 3 years ago
I could kiss whomever it was that wrote the code for "scanreg /fix" back in the days. Then again, if I had a nickle for every debug, fdisk, format, & reinstall I've talked people through-
Posted by Tim Wagoner (+732) 3 years ago
Let it be said, Absolutely No Reputable Tech Company, including Microsoft, will contact you for an issue that you have not first requested their assistance. NEVER listen to a random caller, just tell them your brother is in law enforcement and that they will be looking into them. That will stop the calls.
+2
supporter
Posted by Jeri Dalbec (+2814) 3 years ago
About three weeks ago, I had a call from a foreign gentleman who said that I was having computer problems. I mentioned to him that we have had so many warnings about his Scam in Montana that.....and, he hung up. He did not even wait for me to mention that he should pick another area to call? I am still waiting for the $8 million and the Mercedes where they will deliver as soon as I fill out a Green Credit Card with a mere $160 on it. I did learn that that particular card enables them to refill and refill from your bank account. They keep trying.
+1
founder
Posted by David Schott (+13523) 3 years ago
Reply to Dave Roberts (#364012)
Dave Roberts wrote:
I could kiss whomever it was that wrote the code for "scanreg /fix" back in the days.

I have it in my head a guy by the name of Troy Shaw may have been one of the pioneers of scanreg. I occasionally bump into Troy so if I do so again I'll tell him of your desires.
+2
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1206) 3 years ago
Reply to David Schott (#364017)
I had a feeling that at least one of you would've known who it was-
+1
founder
Posted by David Schott (+13523) 3 years ago
It has been a long time so my memory is somewhat cloudy on it. There was a group of us who were working on tools such as ScanDisk, Disk Defragmenter, System Agent (Task Scheduler), Backup, and so forth. We were the MS-DOS team but with the release of Windows 95 there would be no more MS-DOS releases so we got tasked with doing disk tools and file system work for Windows 95.

My recollection is that Troy was asked to look into ways to improve registry performance and problems with the registry database. I think it was in the course of doing that work that scanreg.exe was born. The last time I talked to Troy he was working on Windows Update (the tool that downloads and installs updates for Windows).
+2