Don't be a jerk driver
Posted by Brian A. Reed (+6014) 5 years ago
Justly or otherwise, Miles City drivers don't have the greatest reputation in the rest of the state (especially Billings). An epic rivaling Gilgamesh could be written regarding 14-County plates, the vehicles to which they're attached, and the people who drive them ... but that can be saved for another thread.

If you MUST drive the Custer County customary 10 miles under the speed limit, that's your prerogative and that's one thing. But it's entirely another issue if you're being unsafe. If you're called out for being oblivious and/or unsafe, don't make things worse for all involved by being rude.

I don't know if the owner of this vehicle frequently visits MC.com, but I am hoping that he can be educated that "driving longer" doesn't matter in the grand scheme.

Don't be a jerk, especially if you're in the wrong (and ESPECIALLY if you've put a disabled person in danger). You make yourself and your community look bad. Do better.

https://www.facebook.com/...511976674/
+2
Posted by truck (-199) 5 years ago
What a story indeed. I read the post on FB and ya gotta admit it was hard to decipher if the guy was driving a scooter or a suburban,could of been a typo. Yes we do have bad drivers here in Miles City however if I were to take a pic every time a vehicle from Yellowstone County( Billings in particular) that either didnt obey the yield signs or pulled out in front of me just to go 1.000 feet and turn right with out turn signal on, I would have a phone full of Bad drivers from Billings. No it was not my vehicle in the post. I dont go to Billings because of that very reason, Bad Drivers,not all but it only takes one city folk to ruin my god day.
+2
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 5 years ago
To determine the MINIMUM speed you should be driving on the interstate, take the interstate number times the number of lanes on the road. For example, I-40 would be 40 x 2 or 80 mph. I-25 in Albuquerque would be 25 x 6 or 150 mph. I-90 through Lockwood would be 90 x 2 plus an asshole factor of +20 mph. Now you know.

[Edited by Richard Bonine, Jr. (12/29/2015 8:20:20 PM)]
+1
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1501) 5 years ago
Ya'll should try driving in Honolulu some time. Even Los Angeles is a cake walk compared to there.
+2
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+9195) 5 years ago
So what you're saying is, 14 == 2C?
supporter
Posted by MRH (+1489) 5 years ago
We do not all play on facebook.
+2
supporter
Posted by cj sampsel (+479) 5 years ago
Maybe we should start a worst driving in Montana contest. I know I've expounded on here before about drivers in Ravalli co. and in Helena, also the Flathead, especially
Canadians.
+2
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14950) 5 years ago
Vehicle in questions. Nice bumper sticker.

Let the dislikes begin.
+2
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1501) 5 years ago
Reply to cj sampsel (#363962)
cj sampsel wrote:
Ravalli co.

Yes! MT 13- plates are absolutely the worst drivers in the state, followed closely by MT 10-
+2
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 5 years ago
I have been nearly creamed by trucks backing out in a parking lot several times in Miles City. Nearly every time I visit. It's gotten to the point where I get nervous every time I see a little, old cowboy in Albertsons. I run to get ahead of him in line.
+3
Posted by Oddjob (+194) 5 years ago
I spent a great bit of time these last few years driving in California on 99 and I-5 and I-80 in northern Nevada with no significant incidents to raise the BP. Two weeks ago I spent a couple of days driving in Salt Lake City- Sandy around Trolley Square - South Towne Mall and it was absolutely terrifying.

It was as if the Christmas influx of Idaho residents driving freeways at 50mph set off a mass Utah road-rage, forcing all of the natives to drive 90mph while shooting 4 or 5 lanes. In two days, I had at least 10 incidents of vehicles miraculously "appearing" in the previously empty lane I was trying to move to, and all of them were significantly exceeding the speed limit.

Now I'm no stranger to World Class offensive driving, with skills gained from many hours of navigating east coast and west coast freeways, but I had never seen anything like the Christmas mall crawl in SLC. With all the spud-butts from Burley running interference in every lane, the play book was out the window.

After all of that Cal driving, I'm well tuned to the sense of 360-degree vehicle location monitoring, but this situation rendered no defensible space. It was the first time I ever felt a great relief to get back to Wendover, NV where nobody has a drivers license, (or any other form of factual ID) but everybody drives anyway.
+3
supporter
Posted by Bob L. (+5095) 5 years ago
Spent some quality time in Williston during the boom.

Talked to many folks who lived there. One fellow told me he'd seen plates from all 50 states.

I asked a bunch of people which state had the worst drivers.

Most of them said "Idaho" with little hesitation.
+1
Posted by PeneF (+137) 5 years ago
I agree, I lived in Aberdeen, South Dakota for about seven years (and every one knows it is a bigger city, and we drive faster because we have four lanes)And every time I came back here to visit I almost always got road rage, And often use the phrase "REMOVE HEAD FROM SPHINCTER, THEN DRIVE" because of lack of curtesy from the Miles City drivers, For example, NO turning signals, cutting me, and/or other drivers off, and the well known talking and texting on their phones while driving as a result of reckless driving and such, I really don't care who you are on the phone with, and we all KNOW for a fact that these calls and texts are NOT so important that they can't wait, So PLEASE Do us all a favor and STAY OFF your phones and DRIVE RIGHT, Thanks
+2
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6165) 5 years ago
I'd tell you to go back to Aberdeen but I have loved ones there.
+2
Posted by Exalted Buckaroo (+249) 5 years ago
For the most part, I've found that Montana drivers are relatively skillful and careful at speed on the highways, when sober and awake. But there's something about a city limits sign that causes us to lose our nerve or take leave of our senses. Billings is easily the most erratic and dangerous. If you doubt that, read all the Gazette articles documenting late night drunks jumping curbs and crashing into yards, garages and homes on neighborhood corners or note the jackrabbit starts, dashes and stops on 24th St. on your next trip to Rimrock.

But Miles City isn't far behind. Yesterday afternoon, I watched three vehicles blow through stop signs by Sacred Heart School as school let out, including a teacher who nearly hammered a pedestrian in the crosswalk. As a rule of thumb, smoother is both safer and faster.
+2