What are you reading? Part 5 or 6
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hal Neumann (+9743) 5 years ago
I just picked up Holland’s book to read again. When I’m done with it I plan on revisiting the Kagan work. Both seem topical at the moment.

Tom Holland. PERSIAN FIRE: THE FIRST WORLD EMPIRE AND THE BATTLE FOR THE WEST (2005).
“In the fifth century B.C., a global superpower was determined to bring truth and order to what it regarded as two terrorist states. The superpower was Persia, incomparably rich in ambition, gold, and men. The terrorist states were Athens and Sparta, eccentric cities in a poor and mountainous backwater: Greece.”

Donald Kagan. THE PELOPONNESIAN WAR (2003).
“For three decades in the fifth century b.c. the ancient world was torn apart bya conflict that was as dramatic, divisive, and destructive as the world wars of the twentieth century: the Peloponnesian War. Donald Kagan, one of the world’s most respected classical, political, and military historians, here presents a new account of this vicious war of Greek against Greek, Athenian against Spartan.”
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14728) 5 years ago
I am slogging my way through The Race for Paradise: An Isalmic History of the Crusades.
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8990) 5 years ago
Functional Thinking and Beautiful Javascript, both published by O'Reilly
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6170) 5 years ago
I'm resting my brain with The Bone Clocks by David Mitchell.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2002) 5 years ago
Black Gun, Silver Star "The Life And Legend Of Frontier Marshal Bass Reeves" by Art T. Burton
This is the black US Marshall that the Lone Ranger was fashioned after
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8990) 5 years ago
Following up on the above, here's the list of books I've read in the last year from Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com...t/17694746 - The Water Knife was VERY good, and I'd recommend the Imperial Radch (Anne Lecke) as well.
+1
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6170) 5 years ago
The Water Knife is next on my list.
+1
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hannah Nash (+2500) 5 years ago
Finishing up Volume 14 of the Girl Genius comics.

Annual holiday reading of "The Stupidest Angel" by Christopher Moore. Gotta have my zombie Santas.
Posted by CarlosSantos (+876) 5 years ago
For some reason, as the year rolls to an end, I tend to put down the novels and pick up poetry.

I'm strolling through the works of Wendell Berry right now.

Its a wonderful respite during this often stressful time of year.
+1
Posted by heimer (+101) 5 years ago
The God of Small Things
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+16663) 5 years ago
I'm in between books, but recently finished Cormac McCarthy's border trilogy.
+1
Posted by gypsykim (+1561) 5 years ago
I'm reading Tina Fey's Bossypants. Since my book club doesn't do any reading in December, I pick up all of the books I've set aside to read the assigned book. Also just finished Criminal by Karin Slaughter.
+1
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2002) 4 years ago
Got a book for Christmas called Thunder Below! It is about the USS Barb, the american submarine that sank the most tonnage in WWII. She also was the first sub to fire rocket missiles. While cruising near the Japanese shoreline, a squad of 8 men went ashore and blew up a train carrying ammo and supplies. These 8 were the only Americans to land on Japanese soil in WWII. I looking forward to finishing this book.
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Hannah Nash (+2500) 4 years ago
Tackling some junk food reading over the Christmas-to-New-Years stint: wrapping up the final book in the Magicians trilogy. It has its flaws, but the second book felt compulsively readable (for the supporting cast much more than the main protagonist). And don't let anyone fool you: it isn't Harry Potter for adults, it's Narnia for adults.
Posted by Oddjob (+187) 4 years ago
Reply to Tom Masa (#370027)
Tom Masa wrote:
These 8 were the only Americans to land on Japanese soil in WWII.

Mainland Japan, possibly, but 185,000 U.S. Army and Marines that fought on Okinawa would probably dispute that statement as it stands.
founder
supporter
Posted by Tom Masa (+2002) 4 years ago
Japanese homeland
supporter
Posted by Bridgier (+8990) 4 years ago
The magicians series was good, you should look at his brother's book (Soon I Will Be Invincible), which I read this last week.
Posted by heimer (+101) 4 years ago
Tribe
supporter
Posted by Amorette F. Allison (+1910) 4 years ago
"Fifty-Six Counties" by Russell Rowland. Gave away my first copy and just got another.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+1
supporter
Posted by ike eichler (+1231) 4 years ago
Believe Rowland to be the equal of Doig or perhaps better with his Arbuckle series.
permalink   ·  vote tally
+1
Posted by gypsykim (+1561) 4 years ago
The Lake House and then Necessary Lies. Looking forward to reading Rowland's Fifty Six Counties.