Beer. Poking with a stick.
founder
supporter
sponsor
Posted by Dave Roberts (+1222) 3 years ago
"Guinness to change centuries-old recipe for vegans"..."The fish collagen, also known as isinglass, has been used since day one at Guinness, to help yeast settle faster and clarify the liquid. It imparts no taste, nor does it alter the beer’s texture."

Yeah, whatever man. Maybe that's the same arsehole who thought that cloves would cover the taste of fish taint. Even at 3/4 Celt, I never could like the stuff.

Give me a good, hairy, malty scotch ale like Big Sky's Heavy Horse or better yet, Oskar Blues Old Chub and toss the hops out to the rabbits, where they belong.
+1
founder
Posted by David Schott (+13579) 3 years ago
Anyone try this yet?

founder
supporter
sponsor
I haven't found that one yet, or Old Chub Nitro that I've wanted to try. Having been exiled to Waikiki for the last few months, I've had to settle lately for Kona Pipeline porter as my primary non hop-syrup brew. The only place it's available is 1.5 blocks from my hotel and I've consistently bought them out.

I miss BevMo in L.A.
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+13956) 3 years ago
Life is too short to waste it drinking IPA's, especially when there are so many stouts, porters, and ale's.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+9567) 3 years ago
Ah, but IPAs were designed to drink in hot climates like Hawaii.

WHAT ARE DOING IN HAWAII AND WHY ARE WE ALL NOT THERE?!!?
founder
supporter
sponsor
Originally planned "9 days to 2 weeks" has turned into another long haul, knock down, drag out quality control job. Getting paid to be here is definitely the best way to do HI.

They do love their hops here. I still think that a "Brown Ale" with an IBU of 45+ isn't a brown ale.

Newcastle 6-packs in glass door coolers are all skunked here. 12-packs are usually OK despite having spent who knows how long in a shipping container.

Heineken seems to be the dominant beer of choice for locals, by a wide margin.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13040) 3 years ago
Drinking commercial beer is for sucks.

Right now I just mashed in 28 lbs. of malt to make Polotmavé Speciální, a Czech fest bier that is similar to Bavarian Oktoberfest, only a little darker in color and hoppier. I am going to keg Polotmavý Ležák, which has finished fermenting after 16 days. It is another Czech beer, this one a dark lager. I already have 10 gallons of Svetlý Ležák, which is more commonly know as Bohemian pilsner, typified by Pilsner Urquell, Staropramen, and Czechvar in the U.S. market, already kegged.

Yes, that is correct. 30 gallons, 10 gallons each, 6 kegs, of Czech light, amber, and dark lager will be ready for Christmas here.
Posted by Wayne White (+270) 3 years ago
And you live where?
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6173) 3 years ago
Today, I made the mistake of drinking a PBR for the first time is several decades. Mein Gott but it was bad. B . . . A . . . D.
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+13040) 3 years ago
PBR, especially on tap, is good stuff. You are way too picky. Better stick with white zin.
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6173) 3 years ago
I prefer pinot gris but that's off topic.