Relocation
Posted by 3030 (+20) 5 years ago
I run a auto repair business in North Carolina. My wife and I have been through Montana and Wyoming many times and have always dreamed of relocating. Well, looks like that may come true. Still looking to own a auto repair shop or maybe a southern cooking style cafe. We have a few years left before retirement. I found this forum and thought this would be the perfect place to ask locals if looking at Miles City would be a good idea. Thanks in advance for feedback.
Posted by busyB (+630) 5 years ago
You are wise to choose Montana, but may want to consider elsewhere. We have a few auto shops here and they do well, but I can't imagine there is the market for another.

Also, be aware that Miles City is not what most people think is "Montana"

There are no pine trees, no mountains, no lakes. If you rolling plains and muddy water are what you're looking for... we have that.

I would venture to say you may have better luck further west where the population can support your business, but that's just one humble opinion.

Best of luck!
+1
supporter
Posted by Karen L. Morris (+1362) 5 years ago
There are several auto repair shops here, but in my opinion, a good mechanic would still do very well. It seems like there is quite a wait for most people that want to have a vehicle repaired. Eastern Montana has a different type of beauty than western (the same is true of Wyoming). Most people here are very friendly and I believe you would find a real sense of "community" here that is hard to find in most places any more. Perhaps you could make a trip out to see if it is to your liking as some people are a bit disillusioned by the distances and some of the things we don't have (like large shopping malls). Others find it to be very peaceful for the same reasons. Let me be the first to say "welcome" and "good luck" should you decide to make the transition!
+9
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+14667) 5 years ago
BusyB ody said:
There are no pine trees, no mountains, no lakes. If you rolling plains and muddy water are what you're looking for... we have that.

Funny, I could have sworn I grew up in a place called the Pine Hills, (so named because of the pine trees) and the mailing address was Pine Hills Stage (as in stagecoach).

What the hell are you talking about???
+1
Posted by busyB (+630) 5 years ago
WOAH!

I was in no way saying Miles City was a bad place! An of course, if you go to certain areas you can find hills and trees, but I was simply speaking to the fact that most people who are not from Montana and are looking to relocate are often looking for mountain vistas and forests. We certainly aren't overrun by mountains and trees and to say so is just false.

I find Miles City beautiful. I love the barren rock and rolling plains. I happen to love the big muddy river. It's just not what MOST people think of when they think of Montana. That's all I was saying.

And as far as business opportunities here, the sad reality is that most new businesses struggle here. Just look at how abandoned main street is.

I feel like a new and unique business may prosper, but I was simply speaking to the fact that an auto repair shop may struggle being that the service is already provided here.

That's all. Easy folks... No one was saying anything against your beloved town.

I love it here, but other's may not if they're moving here for "A River Runs Through It" Montana. We are beautiful, but we certainly aren't that.

[Edited by busyB (11/2/2015 12:45:35 PM)]
+5
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11414) 5 years ago
I suspect you have not been reading the Progress sections in the Star. Yes, Main Street is struggling, which is not unusual, but there are lots of new businesses and lots of old businesses expanding. Saying "go west where the population is" ignores things like costs to start up a business in, say, Bozeman, compared to Miles City.

And new businesses struggle no matter where they open if they are undercapitalized or have other problems. I can name a number of places in Bozeman that have gone under in the two years since I was there last.

I LOVE Miles City. I like western Montana, too, but Miles City is far friendlier than most of the towns 'out west' simply because the western towns have gotten so big.

No. We don't have mountains and ski hills and all that but we have outdoor activities like crazy.

Helena forgets eastern Montana exists but those of us who actually LIVE here think it is a great place to live. Contact the Chamber if you are serious about relocating.

[Edited by Amorette Allison (11/2/2015 2:50:18 PM)]
+5
Posted by Tim Wagoner (+764) 5 years ago
Southern cooking cafe.... forget the mechanic / body shop. Would love to have another food option... or a buffet of sorts like golden coral but southern.... or barb-q....

just my opinion
+1
Posted by 3030 (+20) 5 years ago
Thanks for the replies. We live in the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains in North Carolina. I am aware of the east and west of Montana and Wyoming. North Carolina is like that. We have traveled through both states many times years ago and the eastern areas are what we fell in love with. In fact, I read your news papers and watch your weather! In the gallery for Miles City I seen pictures of at least four bars. No problem with that at all, but could you give me any info on churches in the area? You do have a beautiful town! People vacation here and say that it's beautiful but I guess if you are from an area it's sometimes hard to see what others see. We will always remember our trip through Miles City no matter where we wind up.
+3
supporter
Posted by Wendy Wilson (+6169) 5 years ago
There are many diverse churches in Miles City. Here's a link to the chamber of commerce list.

http://milescitychamber.c...f-worship/

You should be able to find something that fits for you. My experience is that the Lutheran churches are fairly conservative (even though one of them is ELCA), as is the Grace Bible church. United Christian Church is a small church but is very welcoming and inclusive of all types of folks.

Oh, and there are many more bars in Miles City than 4.

[Edited by Wendy Wilson (11/4/2015 9:19:07 AM)]
+1
supporter
Posted by George L. (+355) 5 years ago
Best town you;ll find in Montana.
+2
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11414) 5 years ago
The town was founded to provide 'rest and recreation' for the lads at Fort Keogh so it has a pretty wild history. Some of the bars have wonderful restored Victorian decors which are worth a visit even if you are a strict teetotaler.

Lots of churches, too. They also have some interesting histories, especially the oldest ones, like the Presbyterian, Catholic, Episcopal and Methodist.
+2