Day-neutral strawberries
supporter
Posted by Don Birkholz (+1380) 6 years ago
The varieties I am currently fruiting include Mara Des Bois, Tristar, Albion, and Seascape. Strawberries produce better on sandy soil. Only two notes: Tristar has the perfect flavor, the others are no match. Mara Des Bois has a beautiful firm strawberry with large leaves. All are available from Jung's Seeds and plants. Sparkle is the best tasting June bearer.
+2
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17732) 6 years ago
The strawberry we are looking for, for 2016, are the little white alpine strawberries. Have you seen these recently, Don? We bought these at a greenhouse many years ago, but haven't seen them in the last several years. They ripen quickly and are packed with strawberry flavor.
supporter
Reply to Gunnar Emilsson (#361705)
Ebay has one listing of the plants (8 left), type 151488416261, in the search engine, or "white Alpine strawberry plants". Six plants for around 25$. Several sources of the seeds.
+1
supporter
Reply to Don Birkholz (#361710)
Raintree Nursery has red, white, and yellow alpine strawberries: http://www.raintreenurser...es/Alpine/
supporter
Posted by Richard Bonine, Jr. (+15082) 6 years ago
While I am a little embaressed to ask, I am curious as to what is meant by "day-neutral". They require no dark photoperiod to bloom???
supporter
They fruit spring, summer, and fall, as opposed to everbearers which fruit spring and summer.
founder
Posted by David Schott (+17521) 6 years ago
I have a patch of "Quinault" strawberries that are described as "ever-bearers" and they are blossoming into the fall. I caught 3 raccoons eating berries out there two nights ago. I grow strawberries for the birds, squirrels, rabbits, raccoons, and slugs it seems.
founder
supporter
Posted by Amorette Allison (+11978) 6 years ago
Some plants require a certain length of day to do their thing. It's why you can't grow Vidalia onions in the north. The days are too long and it messes with their little vegetal minds. Onions are very picky about short day, long day or day neutral. So are some strawberries. If the day length is wrong, they bolt or don't fruit or set too late or other issues.
+1
supporter
Posted by Gunnar Emilsson (+17732) 6 years ago
Thanks!