Howard Letke Eulogy
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9694) 12 years ago

Memorial EL SUPREMO Master Teacher
Eulogy for Howard Letke
By Dr. Fred Anderson
Published in the 1989 Branding Iron

I am honored to have been asked to present a eulogy for Howard. I know the comments I make will in no way do justice to Howard, yet I believe they project some reflections which are special to many of us here today.

Howard came to CCDHS in 1972 as a new teacher. Those of you who are familiar with our school recall that from 1971 until about 1976, the junior high and senior high were split shifted. High school kids arrived at 7:00 am and departed at 1:00 pm. The junior high came at 12:00 am and finished at 6:00 pm. All junior and senior high classes were held in the high school building. Howard was assigned to teach junior high social studies initially, and later a variety of high school social studies classes, including Psychology, which he dreaded with a passion. Teaching in Miles City during this split-shift era "tested the metal" of every teacher involved - leaving many cynical and "worn out," if not "burned out." Howard emerged from the experience a seasoned teacher dedicated to kids and education more deeply than ever.

I am not suggesting that Howard arrived in Miles City as a junior version of "Mr. Chips." One of his fellow teachers described him as half hippie and half rebel his first year - yet that free spirit was built on a strong foundation of commitment to his profession, the kids, and to excellence in education.

Howard was not an instant teaching success, but continued to grow and mature over the years - developing three prime ingredients of an outstanding teacher:

1. Howard had an outstanding knowledge base and recall of historic events, people, and places.

2. Howard developed a teaching style that involved students as participants in the lesson he was teaching.

3. He became an outstanding communicator with a degree of empathy for all of his students.

Many teachers that I have known have mastered one or two of these, but few, all three.

I arrived at the high school in 1979 and began working closely with Howard at that time. His love for history, the kids, and his loyalty to the school were immediately evident, as was his gift for relating to students and projecting excitement and enthusiasm into his class presentations. It was not unusual to have him present lectures on the Civil War in a full dress authentic soldier's uniform. Often he visited elementary schools in a uniform to bring the Civil War "to life" for the students.

If you ever saw the movie TEACHERS, Howard was the teacher who had his students arrange their desks in a row, pretending that they were in a boat - while he stood on the bow in George Washington's uniform, directing them across the Delaware River.

Often, we administrators can tend to drive teachers to distraction with paper work, procedure, etc. Too often, these "housekeeping items" can grow out of proportion in a teacher's mind and contribute to what many call "burnout." Howard never allowed that to happen. He enforced rules to the "T", but always in a light manner. He did not take class problems personally and was never vindictive towards anyone.

We often had a problem with Howard's classes - which was simply - too many kids wanted to enroll. We often had students auditing his class for no credit if they had taken the course from someone else. Several teachers also audited his classes during their prep period. Why would this happen? Was it an easy out from a study hall or an easy grade? NO WAY!! Howard was a very demanding teacher who insisted that his students achieve to his level of satisfaction, yet few failed. He was always there after classes and often had biweekly evening study sessions in his home to help those who needed it.

Howard believed in what he was doing. He loved history, he loved kids, and he was intelligent - these combined to make him the best. He brought history to life in his classroom. Figures became real people, historical events became material - I imagine that when Howard encounters General Custer in the promised land he will be able to tell General Custer some things about the Battle of Little Big Horn that even Custer didn't know.

Each year we sound out a curriculum survey to past graduates requesting that they rate each course and provide comments on how we can improve them. Without exception, Howard was noted as their "favorite teacher," "the one who taught me the most," and one who "was tough, but who made learning fun." Howard would lecture to classes on warm Spring days and keep their interest the complete period. Few accomplish that!

Some of the things that Howard did in the classroom include:

1. Game day - or World Wrestling Federation videos prior to test days to provide some variation and relaxation. Often he arrived at school on test days in his dark pin striped three-piece suit.

2. Involving all students by name.

3. Communicate to everyone in class that he cared.

4. He always had nicknames for students and faculty.

5. He infused stories about life in Chicago with the lessons.

6. He always had vivid characterizations about historical events and people.

7. He involved kids in school who had never been involved before.

He was a master at "picking up" on factors that were causing problems in a student's live - whether at home or school related, and seeking solutions.

8. He was always friendly in the hallway.

9. He made history a living thing.

Yes, El Supremo, as he was often called, was a master teacher!

My comments so far have focused on Howard's teaching, which is appropriate, yet I would be remiss to omit some reflections about other facets of his life. Howard's primary focus in life was his family. He was a dedicated father and husband - committed to enjoying life with Nancy, Tim, Tom, and to providing the best for them!

Howard was a person who brought a "Spark" to all those around him. In the lounge on many occasions, Howard would make an (outlandish?) statement about a subject (whether he believed it or not), just to get the folks all stirred up and "spiritedly discussing" until they left for class.

Howard would, however, have already departed, having planted his seed of "wisdom." His mischievousness took some of the "stiffness" out of teaching without eroding the substance.

Howard and another teacher who was similar in build and appearance used to trade name tags during the pre-school conference meetings. It would take some new teachers two or three weeks to figure out who was who.

He loved wrestling or "RASSLING" as he called it, in any form. I doubt if there are many pro wrestlers that he wasn't familiar with. He was constantly jousting with Jack Raymond or Bob Dickson about incorporating a few WWF holds into our program. Who here can forget Howard's debut as a pro wrestler in an exhibition right here in this Gym. Yes, Howard the Hammer, as many fondly referred to him, had arrived! Both Tom and Tim wrestle, therefore Howard rarely missed a practice or a match. I recall one afternoon when he leaned against an unlock barrier gate on the mezzanine while watching a practice and fell backwards some eighteen feet to the gym floor. He did a summer sault in the air, landing on his feet like a cat. Those watching feared broken bones, however Howard ran back up the stairs, giving the Victory signal and proclaiming himself "Super Fly." The story got better every time Howie told it. In fact, many students and teachers referred to him as "Super Fly" when he wasn't being identified as "Howard the Hammer." He often drove the team bus, helped coach, and provided motivation, support, and a great sense of humor for the wrestlers. Whether he was working as Assistant Activities Director, volunteer bus driver, a supporting dad, or just being a good friend - he was always there to help.

Howard lived to fish and had the
Posted by Beth Oswald (+275) 12 years ago
That is the first time that I read his eulogy. Thank you Larry for posting. I laughed (and cried) while reading it because I can clearly hear Dr. Anderson delivering it but can also hear Howard in every event that he recalled. I took my first class from him as a junior scared to death and not knowing what to expect. I don't know how he did it but he got me to work at his class and I pulled off an A. He then talked me into another class that I didn't have to take as a senior. What a great class.

He used to grade his tests as they were turned in. If I turned in a less than stellar test he would look at me over the tops of his glasses and say "a little slippage, ay Petro?" I would try that much harder the next time. What a great man that truly touched everyone he ever taught.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1430) 12 years ago
God bless El Supremo.
supporter
Posted by Vince (+223) 12 years ago
I was in wrestling practice the day the "super fly" came to be. Just as Dr. Fred said, Howard leaned back against the railing, and the gate came open. Howard fell backwards on to the bleachers that were pushed up for basketball ball practice, landed, I don't know how he landed, but from up on the wrestling mats it sounded bad. Sure enough he came back upstairs to tell us all how bad he was. The "SUPER FLY" was born.
I remember his famous WWF qoute, just like I heard for the first time.

"WIN IF YOU CAN, LOSE IF YOU MUST, BUT ALWAYS CHEAT"!!!!!!!!!!
I think about ole Howie often,
Thank You Larry for putting this on here.
See ya "SUPER FLY"
Craig Miller
supporter
Posted by Cory Cutting (+1276) 12 years ago
Larry, can you find the Napoleon picture from the yearbook? I think it was early 80's. That was a classic too!
admin
founder
Posted by MilesCity.com Webmaster (+9694) 12 years ago
Cory Cutting said:

> Larry, can you find the Napoleon picture from the yearbook? I think it was early 80's. That was a classic too!

Dan Mowry posted this link in the "Colorful Characters Past and Present" thread:

http://yearbooks.milescit...PageID=363

Is that the photo?

Regards, Larry
MilesCity.com Webmaster
Posted by wayne williams (+13) 12 years ago
I SAY VERY LITTLE ABOUT ANYTHING ON HERE BUT! I MUST SAY HOWARD THERE ARE A LOT OF PEOPLE IN MILE CITY THAT OWE YOU!! YOU TOUCHED MANY! AND THEY SHOULD BE THANKFUL! WAYNE
Posted by Chris Peterson (+165) 11 years ago
Howard, where ever you are, I have a strong feeling our paths will cross again some day and something tells me you'll have a pole in your hands. I have much to thank you for.....my kids will NEVER gross me out!!
Posted by ABE (+413) 11 years ago
I only knew this guy when I was VERY YOUNG. Maybe 4 or 5 years old. He sold the best taffy and ice cream. Latter in life I learned alot from others about him and his love of his work. No one can say enough about him.

My Question is what ever happened to the Ice Cream Truck?
I ask because that is how I remember him the most.
See, when I was young I could not say Letke, so I called him the Dee-Da-Lee man. Because that was the sound his truck made. You know, the music. It sounds silly, but all I have to do is mention the Dee-Da-Lee man to anyone in my family and they know exactly who I am talking about.
It was latter when I learned of the Great "El Supremo".
Just thinking of all this brings back alot of memories, thanks to who ever had the idea of shareing this with us, I may have never read it other wise.

[This message has been edited by ABE (edited 5/17/2008).]
supporter
Posted by Kelly (+2586) 11 years ago
5. He infused stories about life in Chicago with the lessons.

The story I remember most from El Supremo was when he was working in the Libby's canning plant. He said he and his co-workers would go up on the cat walks to smoke, then would throw the butts into the food. Couldn't eat pumpkin pie for a while after that one, since Mom bought Libby's pumpkin.
supporter
Posted by Dan Mowry (+1430) 7 years ago
Reflecting back on this... and I sure miss him.

Does anyone have the date Howard passed away?
Posted by Its Me (+180) 7 years ago
He was my favorite instructor. The mural on the wall of the battleship, one in which I never saw, was inspired by a photo that I gave him of the Battleship USS New Jersey BB-62. I was stationed onboard her from 85-89.

I brought him the photo and caught him in his ice cream truck one summer and gave it to him. It wasn't until after his passing that I found out that a mural was painted in the highschool.

The picture was of the Jersey doing a 9 gun salvo off starboard side. Apparrently he really liked it.

I remember betting on all the games with him in class. Pop was the bet. He kept the cans in his desk drawer.

I had 2 years of notes from my brother and his friend that was close to a complete set of what Howard taught. He worked off 2 year increments. One year he skipped some minor items for others, then rotated. Since my compilation was so complete, on numerous occasions when he would forget to bring his, he used my notes for the day. That always made me feel great.

I wish that I had thought to have him ride the tiger cruise, as I think he would have liked it. As it was none of my family would go.

That picture I had heard upset my other favorite instructor, Paul Armstrong. I did not think to get him a photo, and I had heard that he was upset over that.

Cheers to both. You two are surely missed by many.